internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
LOL I watched the same PistonHead video and remembered how even the F80/F30 M3/M4 had mac struts while Lexus put the more expensive and better handling double wishbone suspension up front (although, it is more complex/heavier/more expensive than the mac struts).
I will definitely await the next gen IS or maybe US if there is one planned to be slotted beneath the IS. I don't need big and more expensive cars haha.

Also someone responded to me on Youtube and confirmed that the CTR is a great FWD vehicle but eats tires so it could cost a lot more over the life of the vehicle than getting a nice enough car like the IS. I'm just too cheap to pay for premium gasoline here in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Also learned recently that double wishbone setup makes for better cornering but allows for decent non-jarring rides. My 11 Accord coupe is nothing compare to your RC but for a mainstream and boaty car, it does handle corners decently well.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

Mark is harsh on the IS AWD, but yeah, there are compromises made going for AWD. Personally, I have to agree, its the last IS variant I'd consider IF I was in the market for one.

I wonder why was he sent an AWD model in the middle of summer?

Reactions: GNS
Reactions

Mark is harsh on the IS AWD, but yeah, there are compromises made going for AWD as previously discussed. Personally, I have to agree, its the last IS variant I'd consider IF I was in the market for one.

A lot of people took away from this video that the IS in general is just really mediocre. And to be honest it's really easy to say that when a lot of the components are carryover. But Mark was clear that the IS350 F-Sport RWD with DHP is the one to go. For me, I'd take the IS500 only.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions

Mark is harsh on the IS AWD, but yeah, there are compromises made going for AWD as previously discussed. Personally, I have to agree, its the last IS variant I'd consider IF I was in the market for one.

One word after watching SG's review. Ouch!
I mean, it's a tradition of Lexus. They love to screw this on every Lexus sedan lineup. Firstly the GS was killed quietly, then on the 4th LS they had to make 2 (or 3?) refreshes on an already old product, and yet only to disappoint with another compromised 5th LS (verdicts from most medias). It looks like the IS is just going to be the same story. As a Lexus fan it's a hard swallow, but nothing can be denied from the fact that competition is improving at a fast pace and Lexus is still resting on their laurels.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
One word after watching SG's review. Ouch!
I mean, it's a tradition of Lexus. They love to screw this on every Lexus sedan lineup. Firstly the GS was killed quietly, then on the 4th LS they had to make 2 (or 3?) refreshes on an already old product, and yet only to disappoint with another compromised 5th LS (verdicts from most medias). It looks like the IS is just going to be the same story. As a Lexus fan it's a hard swallow, but nothing can be denied from the fact that competition is improving at a fast pace and Lexus is still resting on their laurels.

You're right that we've seen this from Lexus for a long time: LS, LX, GX, IS, GS, the list goes on. The good news is that the tide is turning with products like the new NX and technology like Direct4, new engines, new permanent AWD systems (NX), plug-in hybrids, etc. The current IS is just a holdover product which we all knew as soon as it was introduced, so it's sort of hard to expect something better than a refresh of an 8 year old platform when... that's just what it is.

On the flip side, the car is selling very well, the press has been pretty good and the 350 F SPORT with DHP and 500 have generated a lot of enthusiast interest. Of course we all want "more," but as a business case, it seems like it's doing what Lexus wanted.

My .02: It seems like the era of RWD and N/A engines are coming to a close, especially together, as everyone adopts turbocharging, hybrids, batteries and AWD. I'd like to own something fun to drive from this time in automotive history, and products like the GR 86 seem instantly appealing. However, I'd like something with a little more space and slightly broader appeal, and that's more comfortable to drive every day. The IS is probably some of Lexus' best work as far as RWD goes, and while we're all sick of the GR V6, it is the best, last NA V6 on the market. There's also the IS 500, and we all know the 5.0L V8 is going to be a collector item as time goes on (It already is in the IS F, GS F and LC 500). This sort of brings it full circle to the savagegeese review... to me, north of $50k is a little stiff for what the IS 350 offers. Is it fun, capable, nimble and interesting? Yes. But it feels like all of that should be $50k-ish, not $55k-ish when you add items like the triple-beam LEDs, moonroof and DHP. The market is in a bit of a bubble right now and the IS is still "new" so I'm wondering what prices will be like in another year or two when the car is three years old. If it's possible to get a 350 F SPORT with DHP for $50k, I'll probably spring for one.......... but I also want to see what the IS 500 ends up costing. If it's $60k or thereabouts as rumors suggest, I think that's a worthy upgrade. But this specific example of IS 350 F SPORT AWD with DHP for more than $55k is a tough pill to swallow, for sure.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
You're right that we've seen this from Lexus for a long time: LS, LX, GX, IS, GS, the list goes on. The good news is that the tide is turning with products like the new NX and technology like Direct4, new engines, new permanent AWD systems (NX), plug-in hybrids, etc. The current IS is just a holdover product which we all knew as soon as it was introduced, so it's sort of hard to expect something better than a refresh of an 8 year old platform when... that's just what it is.

The next gen NX is truly the new direction that Lexus is taking and it is exciting. A lot of the issues that reviewers have with the IS, especially with the AWD IS350 as reviewed by Mark and Jack, are with its weight, acceleration off the line, interior looking dated and so on.

The NX's 2.4T and a new 8 speed Direct shift transmission should solve the acceleration problem if it can put down 320+ lb-ft. The new permanent AWD system sounds like it would be much lighter and more efficient, and will likely do away with the AWD hump. If all of this goes on a TNGA platform, then that means new interior, which will also put to rest the gripes about how dated the IS looks.

I'm not sick of the V6, but if giving it up means getting a better IS in all other areas, then that's acceptable.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
^^The 2.4T likely won't give NX350 class-leading acceleration despite having most power. This has to do with TMC's powertrain tuning philosophy. Internally (especially at Lexus) they have very serious NVH targets to meet which by definition preclude maximum acceleration (since it increases jerkiness) even in Sport+ mode. Their engineers always have their hands tied behind their back. You can see this in almost every comparison test where TMC products almost always need higher power-to-weight ratio to match competitors (opposite examples are BMW and Mazda).

This is also why their products are transformed so much by 3rd party remapping services. The IS200t/300 gain 0.2-0.3s in 0-100km/h just by remapping without increasing peak power because stock software is very reluctant to request full boost under heavy acceleration. Very likely a problem with LS500 as some owners on this forum noticed.

This is actually a common problem wIth all modern throttle-by-wire automatic cars. They just don't do what you want them to do. TMC is just one of the worst offenders.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
^^The 2.4T likely won't give NX350 class-leading acceleration despite having most power. This has to do with TMC's powertrain tuning philosophy. Internally (especially at Lexus) they have very serious NVH targets to meet which by definition preclude maximum acceleration (since it increases jerkiness) even in Sport+ mode. Their engineers always have their hands tied behind their back. You can see this in almost every comparison test where TMC products almost always need higher power-to-weight ratio to match competitors (opposite examples are BMW and Mazda).

This is also why their products are transformed so much by 3rd party remapping services. The IS200t/300 gain 0.2-0.3s in 0-100km/h just by remapping without increasing peak power because stock software is very reluctant to request full boost under heavy acceleration. Very likely a problem with LS500 as some owners on this forum noticed.

This is actually a common problem wIth all modern throttle-by-wire automatic cars. They just don't do what you want them to do. TMC is just one of the worst offenders.

Is there a safe way that you know of to remap the throttle for the 2GR-FKS cars, ie. the 2018 - present IS350, to 'undo' some of this NVH compliance stuff without affecting reliability? It would be nice if the V6 responded quicker and revved faster, especially from a stop up to 3.5k in 1st.

Reactions
Watching SavageGeese’s video on this IS was hard to watch because I’m rooting for this car‘s success and I’ve got one on the way. I don’t disagree with his observations but I think the criticisms among the many comments below the video are brutally ridiculous. Saying Lexus is boring, lame and for old people. I guess I didn’t take that last part well because I’m not old! I guess it’s different for everyone but I really don’t find the competition that much better despite what’s on paper. In my area, I always see the Honda Accords and the massive SUVs flying down the road not the ones with the big HP/torque numbers.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I mean the AWD has always been a weak link and mainly for the Central and NE markets. Like @crskin has stated it’s selling well and like I stated in FB who really cares.

The IS confines to defy all exceptions, puzzling YouTubers who don’t really know **** about how the market really works.
Old interior check
Old engine check
A refresh check

Fastest selling in class: check.

Guess what youtubers. The car looks freaking sensational and to many many people thets all that matters.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Watching SavageGeese’s video on this IS was hard to watch because I’m rooting for this car‘s success and I’ve got one on the way. I don’t disagree with his observations but I think the criticisms among the many comments below the video are brutally ridiculous. Saying Lexus is boring, lame and for old people. I guess I didn’t take that last part well because I’m not old! I guess it’s different for everyone but I really don’t find the competition that much better despite what’s on paper. In my area, I always see the Honda Accords and the massive SUVs flying down the road not the ones with the big HP/torque numbers.
Most commenters have 468 credit scores.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

Nah, just ignore those commenters, most of them drive Hyundais and Kias and think Toyotas are boring and overpriced junk just because they can get similar features in their H&K typically at a lower price than their competitors, but they totally ignore the fact that H&K cost cut the hell out of the chassis for most of their vehicles to keep their price tags down. No hate to H&K though(Genesis is nice), but they have attracted some really toxic fans, like almost Tesla fanboy level of toxic.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
The heavily refreshed IS proves that there's still a strong demand for sporty, good looking and fun to drive sedans, IMO some sedans died because the car manufacturers didn't put enough effort to update them, to keep them fresh and attractive enough to bring in decent sales, not just because consumers' preferences have change to favour crossovers.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
They did mention It's a good buy if you want reliability and plan long term ownership.

I don't mind 80% performance of the class leading vehicle, if it means 1/3 the outlay on repairs and maintenance cost.

Without reliability, I think many of us will flock to other brands.

========

Also with the car manufacturers' pledge to go 40-50% electrified in the States by 2030, Toyota/Lexus will be up there in the league rankings again in terms of reliability. Its cars may not be the fastest but they're going to be more fun to drive than most out there who really haven't mastered electrification. RWD-bias and rear axle torque vectoring will be easily implementation for Toyota/Lexus going forward.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
They did mention It's a good buy if you want reliability and plan long term ownership.

I don't mind 80% performance of the class leading vehicle, if it means 1/3 the outlay on repairs and maintenance cost.

Without reliability, I think many of us will flock to other brands.

Lexus strongest, and I mean strongest, selling point is reliability. If it had even slightly better reliability than the competition, I would already be in something else like the M340i (unlikely, given the direction BMW is going), C43 or the Genesis G70 3.3T.

Your reasoning of 80% performance 33% maintenance is the same as mine when I chose the IS350 over everything else, some of them at a starting price of $5k - $6k CAD higher. The IS is 1s slower in the 0 - 100 kmh run, but it has vastly better reliability because it is basically taking a lot of components from the Toyota parts bin, and it was designed to be uncomplicated by things that eke out better fuel economy or keep the engine warm while you're at work (seriously, on the M340i), among other things.

Reviewers (with the exception of a few, such as TheTopher) make IS seem like its some slow and crappy car, but the reality is that it is a solid, dependable daily driver with enough power. I drive one every day. The 330i is faster and sportier, but it'll no doubt suffer from the usual stuff that used German cars develop after a few years - timing chain tensioner, water pump, windows, plastics, gaskets, carbon buildup, and so on. Nothing can convince me that the 330i (or any BMW) is suddenly and magically more reliable because the internet says it is so.

Where the Germans tack on as many things as possible and focus on burning the car up as quickly as possible within 3 years, the Lexus is obviously a conservative, measured approach that is not necessarily aimed at long term ownership, but happens to align very nicely with it because that's just how Lexus/Toyota does things.

Put it simply, reviewers miss the fact that Lexus buyers are here because that's what we want - reliability. You can add the sportiness afterwards, tack on the AA/AC integration, 10" touchscreen, leather seating surfaces, gorgeous exterior redesign and all that stuff, but don't take away the core that is a Lexus otherwise there would be no incentive to go with the brand.

@mikeavelli
My Kona Blast (an even larger bike than the one you bought) fits in my '19 IS350, and all I had to do was remove the front wheel (mostly because the handle bars are quite wide). Just spin it off with the quick release, turn the handlebars to lay flat, bam it goes in. Just yesterday, I brought back a nearly 7ft long table top and it fit in the IS, no joke. I had to move my driver's seat up a bit, but it fit. Granted, it isn't the most ideal car in the world for a job like this, but the tape measure didn't lie about its dimensions.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Lexus strongest, and I mean strongest, selling point is reliability. If it had even slightly better reliability than the competition, I would already be in something else like the M340i (unlikely, given the direction BMW is going), C43 or the Genesis G70 3.3T.

Your reasoning of 80% performance 33% maintenance is the same as mine when I chose the IS350 over everything else, some of them at a starting price of $5k - $6k CAD higher. The IS is 1s slower in the 0 - 100 kmh run, but it has vastly better reliability because it is basically taking a lot of components from the Toyota parts bin, and it was designed to be uncomplicated by things that eke out better fuel economy or keep the engine warm while you're at work (seriously, on the M340i), among other things.

Reviewers (with the exception of a few, such as TheTopher) make IS seem like its some slow and crappy car, but the reality is that it is a solid, dependable daily driver with enough power. I drive one every day. The 330i is faster and sportier, but it'll no doubt suffer from the usual stuff that used German cars develop after a few years - timing chain tensioner, water pump, windows, plastics, gaskets, carbon buildup, and so on. Nothing can convince me that the 330i (or any BMW) is suddenly and magically more reliable because the internet says it is so.

Where the Germans tack on as many things as possible and focus on burning the car up as quickly as possible within 3 years, the Lexus is obviously a conservative, measured approach that is not necessarily aimed at long term ownership, but happens to align very nicely with it because that's just how Lexus/Toyota does things.

Put it simply, reviewers miss the fact that Lexus buyers are here because that's what we want - reliability. You can add the sportiness afterwards, tack on the AA/AC integration, 10" touchscreen, leather seating surfaces, gorgeous exterior redesign and all that stuff, but don't take away the core that is a Lexus otherwise there would be no incentive to go with the brand.

@mikeavelli
My Kona Blast (an even larger bike than the one you bought) fits in my '19 IS350, and all I had to do was remove the front wheel (mostly because the handle bars are quite wide). Just spin it off with the quick release, turn the handlebars to lay flat, bam it goes in. Just yesterday, I brought back a nearly 7ft long table top and it fit in the IS, no joke. I had to move my driver's seat up a bit, but it fit. Granted, it isn't the most ideal car in the world for a job like this, but the tape measure didn't lie about its dimensions.

Indeed. It’s always funny when I see people complaining about space and I grew up in a 2 door Sentra lol. It’s pretty good for it’s size.