2018 LS Master Thread (Debuts 1/9/17 8:30am -2017 NAIAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeavelli

Reactions
So interesting to me that the new LS has yet to be seen testing alongside an S Class.

I could be wrong, but it tells me that Lexus is not so much trying to beat Mercedes with their own formula (as they have tried before, with previous generations of LS), but rather, create the best S Class rival with their own DNA. A8 and 7 Series are much more athletic and much better driving cars than the S Class. If Lexus can benchmark them for driving dynamics and deliver a next generation executive interior, that would be a killer combo, IMO. LS has always had a much nicer, more luxurious interior compared to the Bimmer and Audi, IMO.

Surely its tested somewhere just not caught yet. The A8 is rather dull and so is the S-class in regards to drive but they are clearly faster than the LS. I have yet to touch the new 7 but BMW just stated might expand the lineup as sales and reception is rather poor compared to what they expected. Dealers are blaming the styling.

If Lexus can match/exceed the luxury of the S and be the best driving car in class, that would be something serious.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-09-06-lexus-ls-next-gen-side.jpg

Driving in the desert alongside the Audi A8 & BMW 7-Series.
View the original article post

mikeavelli

Reactions
Porsche cars are certainly very good, but they are also getting more boring IMO, to the point of not being that desirable. Sure I'd drive a Porsche, but I would not want to pay for one.

Sorry I really disagree here. Sure some of the mainstream offerings are more tilted to the comfort side of things but they are still pretty engaging. Even a 911 Turbo or GT3 RS with PDK is still better than 99% of the cars out there. Also if you want some of the best driving cars on the planet they offer manuals still

I get to drive a GT4 quite a bit and honestly its maybe my favorite car to drive currently.
Vossen White Porsche GT4 4-2.jpg

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
My feeling is Lexus knows how to make a serene, luxurious driving experience in a flagship sedan. They don't need to bone up on that. Creating a double-threat is what they want. Go after younger buyers, not just previous LS owners and the Buick crowd.

In January, when they unveil it, I am hoping to hear that they have filled in the bottom-end torque deficit with something. Just having a high-revving engine that is not confident in city traffic will be noticed in test drives. The new 10-speed will hide some of that deficit, but a turbo-charged S550 will "feel" faster than the stock 5.0 in back to back test drives based on the torque difference, even if the speed of the cars is the same.

I think the looks of this will blow the Germans away. There is a new A8 coming, but we all know they can't make a sexy sedan if their life depended on it. Lexus is looking to change the way you look at a flagship sedan. This prototype already looks sexier than the Germans, with a bag on.
BD

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
so is it 2GR-FKS or 2GR-FSE or another new engine ???
it's suppose that batch of new engines will appear with the new chassis or i am wrong ???

VooDooXT

Premium Member
Reactions
At last they do it ! A smaller engine option would make it easier to sell in country with very high import tax like here in Thailand. ;)

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
This is great not everyone that buys big lux vehicles needs or wants a big engine they just want luxury to the max

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
The smaller engine option is good news indeed. Wish it were an LS300t trademark instead though. Considering the underwhelming power to weight ratio in the RC350, what are your opinions on this aspect of an LS350?

isanatori

Follower
Reactions
I think LS will be significant less powerful than the current version due to emissions target.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
no i guess the new V6 can be reached easily to 320 or even 380 if supercharger or turbo added to the equation
which will be the same amount of hp as the current

this is all plus the other engine varieties which we have at least 3 until now
the 5.0 V8 in the LC
the 3.5 V6 as LS500h as the LC500h which will be replacing the 450h in all the line-up
the Fuel-Cell which will appear on 2020 as 2021 variant
add to this a replacement for the 5.0 V8 hybrid which is a must
and maybe F version from the LS65TMG
so this will be a full line-up with a lot of ranges 3 Petrol (3.5 / 5.0 / 5.0TMG variant) & 2 Hybrids (3.5 V6 / 5.0 V8) & 1 Fuel-Cell

Status
Not open for further replies.