2016 Lexus RX 350 & RX 450h Information

mikeavelli

Reactions
They are losing a lot more than buyers. They are losing credibility ...

Actually in 2014 Lexus sold more vehicles than any other year in their 25 year history. Sales this year are up as well.

They stated before they are aware they will alienate people but they are no longer afraid to do so whereas in the past they wanted to try to please everyone. They also acknowledged it would be tough to attract new buyer and keep previous customers happy.

Looking at the numbers and reviews they have succeeded. There are plenty of more bland options out there aka vanilla. Funny but Lexus used to mostly be vanilla but not anymore.

Good luck with your purchase.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
They are losing a lot more than buyers. They are losing credibility ...

Losing credibility suggests that Lexus is lying to its customers, and I see no evidence of that. In numerous interviews since the fourth-generation GS was launched, executives have repeatedly said that the new design direction will not be for everyone.

From a 2012 interview with Karl Schlicht, former general manager of Lexus International:
I recently had an interview in Detroit where a journalist thought our Spindle Grille was a mistake. While this was a rare comment among many that believe we are heading in the right direction, I told him (politely, I hope) that it’s good there are people that don’t like our design – because good design will split opinion, and it will make you love something instead of just being OK with it.

Regardless, it might be useful for you to move this conversation out of this thread. If you feel strongly that Lexus is losing credibility, I suggest you make your case in the Lexus Lounge sub-forum. Thanks!

Reactions
Losing credibility suggests that Lexus is lying to its customers, and I see no evidence of that. In numerous interviews since the fourth-generation GS was launched, executives have repeatedly said that the new design direction will not be for everyone.

From a 2012 interview with Karl Schlicht, former general manager of Lexus International:

Regardless, it might be useful for you to move this conversation out of this thread. If you feel strongly that Lexus is losing credibility, I suggest you make your case in the Lexus Lounge sub-forum. Thanks!

Yep, I've stated my opinion, which is that the New RX is designed by incompetent designers. That's very unfortunate.
Cheaper cars means higher sales, naturally. Let's flood the market With Priuses in Lexus shell's.
Karl Schlincht is a PR-person/salesman, not a designer or engineer. There are universal design principles that objectively tells what is good design and what is not(proportion, Balance and harmony). It's not a matter of fashion or mere styling.

Credibility is in no way measured i sales-figures(both Kia and Huyndai sell a lot of cars).

Not gonna discuss this anymore though.

Last edited:
Reactions
This new RX looks real good...definitely much higher level of quality and style than the last gen ....my only complain is that I think the overhang is a tad too long on both ends...makes the profile look a little "boat-ish" ....

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Yep, I've stated my opinion, which is that the New RX is designed by incompetent designers. That's very unfortunate.

Karl Schlincht is a PR-person/salesman, not a designer or engineer. There are universal design principles that objectively tells what is good design and what is not(proportion, Balance and harmony). It's not a matter of fashion or mere styling.

There are no "universal design principles" -- proportion, balance and harmony are subjective. If there were "universal design principles", everything in the world would look the same and would be loved by everyone.

Just because you don't like the new RX does not mean the designers are incompetent. All it means is that you don't like it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but don't try to qualify your reasons with talk about "universal design principles".

Cheaper cars means higher sales, naturally. Let's flood the market With Priuses in Lexus shell's.

There's nothing unique about Lexus/Toyota sharing platforms and engines. It's a common automotive industry practice.

Reactions
There are no "universal design principles" -- proportion, balance and harmony are subjective.
Yes there is, you just lack the competence to understand that there is. Do you have any kind of education which makes you think you're entiteled to deliver such strange answers? Everyone With an understanding of design knows there are indeed principles of design. Just like With Music; harmony and rythm are objective criterias. This is difficult for you to understand, which makes me see you dont have a Clue about design( I myself are an architect if you wondered).

Also; it's higly unproffessional for a moderator to partake in the discussion and stating very strong(but, I might add, incompetent opinions)!

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Shroomey, please keep the discussion mature, and on-topic. As krew mentioned, if you wish to discuss this further, you can create a separate topic in the appropriate sub-forum. Thank you.

Reactions
Shroomey, please keep the discussion mature, and on-topic
I said before I wouldnt discuss it further, but krew obviously wanted to continue. So there you go. Im also always on topic(topic being the New RX), you're not(you're only discussing me) as far as I can see ...

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
So going over the B-roll video, and just looking at all the pics in detail, here's a few more thoughts:

- there is Qi wireless charging for smartphones hidden in the small storage area ahead of the shifter. Hard to see in the pics, but the B-roll videos show it off

- as posted by a person on Instagram, the RX shows turn signals in a very sleek and luxurious way

- the LED headlights are a work of art, so Lexus continues its tradition of making simply amazing headlights

- The surface details, and interior details, in true Lexus fashion are just astonishing. Even with the super-high res pics, it takes a while to spot all the details

- while not a fan of it aesthetically, I understand the purpose of the black plastic over the fenders. It is purely for practical purposes when going off-road, and will decrease chips and scratches. At the same time it also gives the RX a more masculine look

- the awesome interior has me VERY excited for the next-gen LS. If the GS, IS, NX, and now RX all have such great interiors, I'm expecting a mind-blowing interior on the next-gen LS.

- upon close inspection, there is a very cohesive and logical purpose to the exterior and interior design. If you study it carefully and look at it closely, L-Finesse is definitely present, but this is simply a big evolution of that. I may try and make a crude illustration of this when I have time.

- the chrome around the windows and trailing off into the D-pillar really makes a world of difference. Observing the pics carefully, you can see the chrome extending fully into the D-pillar was a very clever design choice. It gives the optical illusion of making the RX appear longer, lower, and at the same time gives the illusion of a more sporty, sloping roofline. All this, when in fact, this new RX has not sacrificed rear headroom or rear cargo room for style. The clever D-pillar and use of chrome makes the RX look sportier and more stylish without losing any practical benefits. There is still a small, real window in the D-pillar, so visibility remains decent, and blind spots are not huge as a result. Also importantly crash-worthiness is not sacrificed either

mikeavelli

Reactions
Also; it's higly unproffessional for a moderator to partake in the discussion and stating very strong(but, I might add, incompetent opinions)!

Actually Krew is the owner of the LexusEnthusiast, not just a "moderator". :)

Hello everyone, it's come to our attention that @Shroomey is the latest account used by someone who was permanently banned on the old version of Lexus Enthusiast for making repeated personal attacks.

There is a way to offer constructive criticism and attacking others will not be tolerated.

After discussing with the moderating team, we have decided to reinstate his ban based on his previous conduct, and not from the discussion today (which obviously reinforces our decision).

Now back to the RX!

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Something else very interesting I spotted after playing with the lighting on this photo:

You can see there is a cutout in the highlighted area there. Hard to tell whether it's for storage, or a cupholder like the 3RX.

lt00Aa7.jpg

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
Actually Krew is the owner of the LexusEnthusiast, not just a "moderator". :)

Hello everyone, it's come to our attention that @Shroomey is the latest account used by someone who was permanently banned on the old version of Lexus Enthusiast for making repeated personal attacks.

There is a way to offer constructive criticism and attacking others will not be tolerated.

After discussing with the moderating team, we have decided to reinstate his ban based on his previous conduct, and not from the discussion today (which obviously reinforces our decision).

Now back to the RX!

Damned, now that we found him, the only one who doesn't liked the RX !
It was Mr. T. in disguise who had forgotten his medication. Glad you fixed it. :D

Onelog

Follower
Reactions
Something else very interesting I spotted after playing with the lighting on this photo:

You can see there is a cutout in the highlighted area there. Hard to tell whether it's for storage, or a cupholder like the 3RX.

From the slope it looks like it wouldn't make a great cup holder, but that's the same spot as the spare change/little drawer that current models have. Or it could be like the GS and be a bunch of extra features in a drop down space, haha(not likely)

Also, WOO, Krew, it's your first real troll! The forum has been christened.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Forgot to mention that I think the new steering wheel is great. 3-spoke, compact design, just the way I like it!

From the slope it looks like it wouldn't make a great cup holder, but that's the same spot as the spare change/little drawer that current models have. Or it could be like the GS and be a bunch of extra features in a drop down space, haha(not likely)

Also, WOO, Krew, it's your first real troll! The forum has been christened.

Good eye, you're right, I totally forgot about the slope :D. Yeah it's probably a spare change/storage drawer, unless they'd have a cupholder at an odd angle, which wouldn't make sense.

Last edited:

Dan

Reactions
Wow, love it. I noticed there is a Brake Hold button...my favorite among many features. Should be on every model.

Reactions: RAL

RAL

Reactions
Wow . . . the interior is just stunning! Can't wait to see IRL. The curved look of the wood on the console reminds me of the LF-LC console. With RX interior this beautiful . . . can you imagine the new LS interior!!!

I love the spindle on the base model. I think it is the best iteration of the base model spindle grille yet. You guys know my love of Atomic Silver . . . can't wait to see this baby in that color!

We know how the NX was not done due justice in photos. I can't imagine the 'presence' of this new RX . . . IRL!

Last edited:
Reactions: CIF

RAL

Reactions
I'm happy to see an slight change to the original style remote touch interface instead of using the touch pad. I and my customers are not big fans of that device.
I have to admit the remote touch interface touchpad on our NX . . . even set for lowest sensitivity . . . is almost too sensitive. I am doing better with it, but it really takes getting use to. It seems Lexus may be moving away from it.

Ruksac

Follower
Reactions
I have to admit the remote touch interface touchpad on our NX . . . even set for lowest sensitivity . . . is almost too sensitive. I am doing better with it, but it really takes getting use to. It seems Lexus may be moving away from it.

I've had better experiences in the NX versus the RC when it comes to the remote touch pad. Perhaps it's the position of the device that makes the difference.