2016 Lexus RX 350 & RX 450h Information

Onelog

Follower
Reactions
Here is my take -- switching back to traditional remote touch controller is because the screen is much bigger. It will be more effective and less attention needed to navigate around. And it is probably based on the Infotainment system in GS with improvements, saving some design cost as it can be used in other more upscale Lexus models.

Older generation can use touchpad without issues. Touchpad has been around in laptops for years.
Try to teach enough Lexus owners how to set their radio preset stations using either the newer RTI or track pad, you'll start to love the separate enter button too. ;)

Chase C.

Fan
Reactions
WOW. What a vehicle. No disappointments whatsoever. Loving the interior cabin design, materials and details, especially the console's "lined" and curved wood finish. I love the F Sport's front-end and wheels, but dare I say I equally love the the non-F-Sport, in particular the rich-looking interior.

In addition to Chace C's observations on the customization of the Drive Select mode and frameless mirror, anyone notice :D

1. the sunglass holder in the ceiling ahead of the dome lights?
2. the door lock is the "retro" pin knob on the top of the door panel?
3. the "German" / "IS/RC"-like accelerator pedal ?
4. the F Sport seats are from the NX/IS/RC F Sport?
5. the F Sport spindle grill looks 98% the LF-NX's?

I noticed those locks but couldn't make them out initially.. Also, can't really justify why they'd do that. I guess maybe they aren't the actual locks but the LS style red flashing light that are in the same spot.

Odd that a new model has the previous gen RTI with a couple of improvements (back button and physical enter buttons) rather than the updated trackpad interface. I saw they had this controller on the GS F but thought it made sense since it already had the previous generation in the GS and suspected it would take some sorry of redesign. Interesting to think about all this technical stuff, though.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
I fully expect a RX200t in the 2019 mid-gen refresh
Autoblog is starting the rumor that a 3rd row RX will be brought out for 2017.
BD

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Euh, why did you do this ? Don't you like that chrome ?

Well, it started off because I wanted to see how the RX looked without the chrome tail streaking across the D-pillar. But just removing that didn't look right, so I kept going.

Funny how removing one piece of chrome can make such a difference.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Odd that a new model has the previous gen RTI with a couple of improvements (back button and physical enter buttons) rather than the updated trackpad interface. I saw they had this controller on the GS F but thought it made sense since it already had the previous generation in the GS and suspected it would take some sorry of redesign. Interesting to think about all this technical stuff, though.

Hard not to draw some conclusions on this -- given the fact that the last two new models (GS F & RX) have gone back to the original Remote Touch controller, maybe the RTI interface is being abandoned?

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Well, it started off because I wanted to see how the RX looked without the chrome tail streaking across the D-pillar. But just removing that didn't look right, so I kept going.

Funny how removing one piece of chrome can make such a difference.

Glad you removed the chrome strip since I was wondering about that too. I most definitely like the chrome strip.

Hard not to draw some conclusions on this -- given the fact that the last two new models (GS F & RX) have gone back to the original Remote Touch controller, maybe the RTI interface is being abandoned?

My guess is the touchpad will be on the "lower-end" Lexus vehicles (new redesigns) moving forward while the physical RT is for the RX, GS and up.

Besides this total guess, I prefer the RTI Touchpad on the NX however with the force feedback fully disabled. In this operation, the controls are natural and similar to a laptop touchpad.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Lexus and Toyota, in all of their models, dont take one size fits all approach... so we will likely see some cars have touchpad and some have mouse controller, depending on requirements.

Did anyone notice how nav screen is now high res and reworked completely? It looks beautiful.

Reactions
I'm not completely positive if it was a video posted on here or if I saw it somewhere else, but the fluid motion and animation the screen showed was a big step up. It is hard to describe but once you see the video you'll understand what I'm taking about.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Screenshot 2015-04-01 21.53.43.png

Well Lexmama is in love...so barring something unforeseen or cargo room drops pretty sure I will email Lexus and my dealer we want the first RX 450h F-Sport that arrives stateside. It would be cool to even see it built at the plant and maybe have an exclusive for us here. :)

Last edited:

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
Thanks krew and team for the neat presentation of all this exciting information! I can smell it already, the sensational odour of that brand new RX450h F-Sport as I slowly peel off the protective plastic film and gently open the driver's door for the first time... ;p

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
Another surprise for me is that the led light are not detached as on all new Lexus models. Anybody can explain why?

Reactions
Lexus has killed it's cash-cow With this awful looking New RX.

The front overhang is awful, the D-pillar looks like a mistake in Production, the creasing on the flanks makes no sense and has no flow-- uncohesive, illogical. It's a very unelegant design. It looks like something the Chinese could have come up With som years ago or the Koreans ten years ago. It doesnt look like a Premium car at all. This is again a dissapointing design from Lexus!

Too bad Lexus seems to have thrown L-finesse out the window and gone in the totally opposite direction. And now they are totally missing the point when they are trying to be 'bold' and 'aggressive'. Very bad design work.

Bye Lexus!

Last edited:
Reactions
I'm actually not in the market for a New RX. But nevertheless, I wont be seen driving the brand behind this awful looking new RX. No way, so Im selling my 2013 GSh(which I [used to] love)and saying goodbye to Lexus.

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
It's a very unelegant design. It looks like something the Chinese could have come up With som years ago or the Koreans ten years ago. It doesnt look like a Premium car at all. This is again a dissapointing design from Lexus!

Could not disagree more -- to me, it looks futuristic and expensive. Much like the NX, the design is unlike anything else on the road.

I'm actually not in the market for a New RX. But nevertheless, I wont be seen driving the brand behind this awful looking new RX. No way, so Im selling my 2013 GSh(which I [used to] love)and saying goodbye to Lexus.

Lexus has been very clear that this new design direction will be polarizing, and they fully expect to lose some people along the way. As far as people posting on Lexus Enthusiast, you seem to be in the minority of people that don't like the design.

I can almost guarantee that you will not feel so negatively about the new RX once you see it in person. The same thing happened with the NX -- initial photos were not flattering, but IRL it's a different experience. Hold off on selling your GSh!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
View attachment 268

Well Lexmama is in love...so barring something unforeseen or cargo room drops pretty sure I will email Lexus and my dealer we want the first RX 450h F-Sport that arrives stateside. It would be cool to even see it built at the plant and maybe have an exclusive for us here. :)

Oh yeah! Like the sound of that plan!

Reactions
Lexus has been very clear that this new design direction will be polarizing, and they fully expect to lose some people along the way.

They are losing a lot more than buyers. They are losing credibility ...