2016 Lexus RX 350 & RX 450h Information

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
WOW. What a vehicle. No disappointments whatsoever. Loving the interior cabin design, materials and details, especially the console's "lined" and curved wood finish. I love the F Sport's front-end and wheels, but dare I say I equally love the the non-F-Sport, in particular the rich-looking interior.

In addition to Chace C's observations on the customization of the Drive Select mode and frameless mirror, anyone notice :D

1. the sunglass holder in the ceiling ahead of the dome lights?
2. the door lock is the "retro" pin knob on the top of the door panel?
3. the "German" / "IS/RC"-like accelerator pedal ?
4. the F Sport seats are from the NX/IS/RC F Sport?
5. the F Sport spindle grill looks 98% the LF-NX's?

mikeavelli

Reactions
1962833490419152635.jpg

696678826186441228.jpg

8988874282064204438.jpg

5781831811807102460.jpg

1580963380204315770.jpg

388710818469248346.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Interior is bordering on flagship-like levels of detailing and sophistication... just awesome. Much better than the teardrop shape of current RX.

I really like most of the exterior as well. Not a huge fan of the ghastly front overhang or floating D pillar, but the rest of the design is really nice. Looking forward to specs and information on the new powertrains as well.

mikeavelli

Reactions
WOW. What a vehicle. No disappointments whatsoever. Loving the interior cabin design, materials and details, especially the console's "lined" and curved wood finish. I love the F Sport's front-end and wheels, but dare I say I equally love the the non-F-Sport, in particular the rich-looking interior.

In addition to Chace C's observations on the customization of the Drive Select mode and frameless mirror, anyone notice :D

Love it....and dual sunroofs!!!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Has anyone noticed on the drive mode select knob there's now a Normal and Customize setting?? We may actually be able to customize the driving dynamics for the first time on any model. Quite stunning this is (potentially) being introduced on the RX, and I feel as if this really expresses the direction Lexus wants the RX to go in. Any thoughts?

Great eye -- being able to adjust independent settings would be a huge upgrade to Drive Mode Select. If true, I hope it comes to other models ASAP.

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
Great eye -- being able to adjust independent settings would be a huge upgrade to Drive Mode Select. If true, I hope it comes to other models ASAP.
I am kinda on the pessimistic side -- the word "Customize" is simply a label to improve readability of the functions. It tells someone who is not familiar with the Lexus Drive mode that the settings can be customized -- including the some of existing RX owners who are still adapting to the new wave of Lexus vehicles.

Reactions
Autoblog makes mention of a forthcoming 7 seater. Have you heard anything about this?

"That extra interior space comes from an overall stretching of the RX. Wheelbase grows 1.9 inches, while length is up almost five inches. What the new RX doesn't yet have, but we're told is on the way, is a third row of seats. The added versatility of a seven-passenger version should broaden the appeal of the RX to a wider audience. Expect to see the RX 350 and RX 450h in showrooms by the end of the year, with the three-row version coming sometime in 2016."

mikeavelli

Reactions
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/2015+nyias+lexus+rx+reveal+templin+bracken.htm

I underlined some things I thought were important.

2015 New York International Auto Show - 2016 Lexus RX and RX Hybrid Reveals - Mark Templin, Jeff Bracken
April 01, 2015
As prepared for:

2015 New York International Auto Show
Wednesday, April 1, 2015
Mark Templin –Executive Vice President, Lexus International

Jeff Bracken – Group Vice President and General Manager, Lexus Division

---
MARK TEMPLIN:

For more than 25 years...unmatched quality and unparalleled customer experiences have been at the core of the Lexus brand.

They define who we are...what we do and why we do it.

And those values will never change.

Our chief branding officer and master driver Akio Toyoda, understood the importance of those core values.

But a few years ago...he challenged us to show the emotional side of Lexus.

He knew we could put many more smiles on the faces of our customers if we showed our emotional side in a way that complements the rational side.

In fact...Akio has a simple test he uses to evaluate the emotional impact of our vehicles. We call it the goose bump test.

He puts every vehicle in our lineup through its paces...like you would expect of a certified racecar driver. And when he first sees and drives a new vehicle...the design and performance need to trigger an emotional response...that gets the hair on the back of his neck to stand up and give him goose bumps.

Now...using the goose bump test as a starting point...we challenged our engineers and designers and gave them more freedom to focus on things that create an engaging and exhilarating
driving experience.

Things like...
  • Stiff body structures
  • Precision steering
  • Suspension systems that minimize body roll and provide great grip and stability
All of this packaged in vehicle designs that turn heads, elicit emotional connections and bring out the goose bumps. And their efforts are paying off.

Since the launch of the 2012 GS...globally...we’ve been riding a rising tide of enthusiasm for our brand and our products.

Products like the new...
  • GS
  • ES
  • IS
  • RC
  • NX
have garnered widespread enthusiasm from journalists and consumers alike. And that enthusiasm has helped drive our success over the past three years.

In fact...during that time: we attracted new, young consumers to the brand at the fastest pace ever. Even better...we’ve been the fastest growing major luxury brand in the world…up more than 44% over the last three years.

At Lexus, we’re not standing still and neither are global consumers who expect to engage with brands through unique and personalized products and experiences.

But, even as we adapt to these consumer expectations...the value, appreciation and desire to have always better cars and a world class customer experience will never change.

And, it’s these Lexus strengths that will drive our sustainable growth globally for the next 25 years and beyond.

Today we're here to debut the next product that will fuel that growth. And nowhere in the world has our brand’s success been more evident and more important than right here in the United States.

To share more details about the US market and the next-generation RX, please welcome the general manager of Lexus here in the US...my good friend, Jeff Bracken.

JEFF BRACKEN:

Thank you Mark and thanks to all of you for joining us. It was 17 years ago when Lexus saw an untapped opportunity in the market and ignited a category called luxury crossover when we launched the RX 300.

Since then, the RX has dominated that segment, setting standards for style, function and luxury.

And the RX quickly became a core model for the Lexus brand, driving both volume and loyalty over the course of three generations.

In fact, RX is responsible for bringing over 2.1 million customers around the world into the Lexus family. It’s easy to see why others have entered this segment.

Since 2005, the RX has maintained about 25% of the sales in the mid-size luxury crossover segment...even though the number of competitors has risen to 16.

The ongoing demand for RX helped solidify our retail partner’s confidence in the Lexus brand when it was not even a decade old.

And today, that confidence in Lexus is stronger than ever.

In fact, within the next two years we can expect to see our U.S. dealers reinvest over $500 million dollars into their facilities.

These actions speak volumes about their commitment, dedication and drive for the brand and their belief that Lexus will grow even stronger with the launch of this all-new RX.

We know the mid-sized luxury SUV segment is extremely competitive and that’s why for the fourth generation, RX has been completely reimagined to reflect a product philosophy that is at once engaging to look at and dynamic to drive.

Ladies and gentleman…the all-new 2016 Lexus RX and RX Hybrid.

--
The all-new RX brings the concept of “sophistication with an edge” to life ...while the RX is equipped
and engineered to appeal to the next generation of luxury consumers, our research confirms
that existing RX owners will love it too…embracing a new vehicle that unapologetically proclaims that it's time for luxury utility to be even more expressive.

The RX wears the latest interpretation of our Lexus design language highlighted by a new floating roofline and available 20” wheels with interchangeable color inserts.

F SPORT models build on this design with unique...
  • Trim
  • Grille,
  • wheels
  • And black side mirrors
More importantly...the F SPORT models offer not only a more athletic stance, but an even more engaging drive.

And for the first time F SPORT will be offered on RX Hybrid.

As you would expect from a Lexus, the interior is beautifully crafted with various interior combinations designed to suit the tastes of a wide array of drivers.

And RX is packed with the latest features:
  • A touch-free power rear door that is activated by a short pause of the hand over the Lexus logo
  • A panoramic roof that brings the outside in for all occupants
  • A view monitor that creates a 360 degree visual image of the car’s surroundings that can be seen on a brilliant 12.3” screen
This larger, fourth generation RX is more spacious and rides on a wheelbase that is nearly two inches longer than its predecessor.

The new RX redefines its image in the segment with vastly elevated levels of ...
  • Dynamic capability,
  • Ride quality
  • And overall refinement
And then there's the revised...direct-injection 3.5-Liter gasoline engine targeting 300hp…and coupled to an 8-speed automatic transmission...providing better fuel economy ... while not requiring
premium fuel.

And when it comes to safety…our available Lexus Safety System Plus bundles a range of technologies and automated features...such as...
  • Pre-collision system with pedestrian detection
  • Auto hi-beam
  • Lane keep assist
  • And Dynamic Radar Cruise Control that can bring the vehicle to a complete stop
This is a package that once cost thousands and will now be priced under $650.

Adding an extra measure of safety...the Lexus RX will also offer Michelin’s latest advancement in tire safety technology...the Michelin Premier. The tire’s tread actually wears in a way that makes it safe when new and safe when worn.

The new RX will be manufactured in our award-winning plants located in Japan...AND Ontario, Canada.

When we launch the RX at the end of this year…our lineup will continue to have a strong crossover one-two punch.

In the COMPACT luxury ranks...the NX crossover...with its athletic style and capability...teams up with this new MID-SIZE luxury RX...adding a dimension of refinement and sophistication to the class.

Both are poised to meet the growing needs of luxury consumers around the world.

Now...I would like to introduce the person most responsible for bringing us this amazing RX.

Chief Engineer Takayuki Katsuda. Katsuda-san...please stand and take a bow!

Thank you Katsuda-san for bringing us this amazing product.

Okay…now...I’d like to invite the photographers and members of the media on stage for a closer look at our 2016 Lexus RX and RX hybrid.

Thank you.

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
I was a bit sceptical about it from the first picture but this is a really good job from Lexus. However, I dont get why didnt they put the touchpad. Even though that some people didnt like there were also those who didnt like the previous one. It a steps further and impose better image of the brand from technological frame.

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions

After looking at the details of the interior of the new RX, it is definitely in the price range of regular GS. The interior is more upscale with better refinements and craftsmanship typical of traditional Lexus.

The curved wood finish is an indication of higher craftsmanship. Definitely there will be a story somewhere in the upcoming Lexus Beyond magazine on that.

The F Sports seats are probably leather in RX -- it is more in line with what Lexus has been offering in current GS (in contrast, IS and NX - due to pricing ceiling, Lexus has chosen not to have F-Sport leather seating in North America). And the F Sport front seats are more substantial as the back of it appears to have the hard vinyl cladding (in one of the pictures). This was my complaint when I saw Lexus remove the back cladding in 3IS.

For exterior - I find the position of LED fog light interesting. It is quite high and it has dual elements on each side.

Last edited:

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
The remote-touch controller is going back to the 2010-12 standard, woo! That was always the easiest to use from my experience with lots of customers. Funny that the touchpad iteration has died out pretty quickly, though I'm not surprised. Much of Lexus is still based around the older generation, and I have had some real trouble getting people used to it(and getting used to it myself).
Here is my take -- switching back to traditional remote touch controller is because the screen is much bigger. It will be more effective and less attention needed to navigate around. And it is probably based on the Infotainment system in GS with improvements, saving some design cost as it can be used in other more upscale Lexus models.

Older generation can use touchpad without issues. Touchpad has been around in laptops for years.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions

Note also that long Enter button on the side. Seems convenient.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
I am out of words. I put my hat and take a very deep bow, brilliant Lexus !

Reactions
Absolutely exquisite and beautiful! Very clean design and love the transition of the C and D pillars. The renders that were circulating are very close to this new unveiling. No doubt its going to fly of the Lexus dealerships.

Interesting they didn't divorce the DTRL from the head lights but I guess loyal RX buyers want a more conservative design; regardless stills looks very slick! Don't get me started on the interior; nice departure from the current generation but this one is a little more mature and classy to my eyes. Thank god they added the 12.1 inch display to give it a more streamlined look.

I'm shocked they kept the old generation remote touch interface unless buyers will have an option to upgrade to the touch pad.? I've tried all 3 (GENs) and of course the first generation remote touch was the best and easy to use IMO; the touch pad is simple too but takes a little getting used to but once you do its like working a laptop touch pad.

Also, the loads of soft touch materials from what I can see is very classy and luxurious; works well with the dashboard down to the center console, very appealing.

Not sure if it was mentioned but I sure hope the hybrid can be optioned with the F-Sport package. Would be a shame if it can't but then again the standard model already looks so good especially the rear end that's reminiscent of the RC coupe.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
To satisfy my own curiosity, I removed the upper chrome surround on the windows -- remember everyone, the point isn't to make fun of my Photoshop skills! ;)

NYIAS_2016_Lexus_RX_450h_001.jpg

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Not sure if it was mentioned but I sure hope the hybrid can be optioned with the F-Sport package.

RX 450h will be available with the F SPORT package -- it was announced at the press conference.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
To satisfy my own curiosity, I removed the upper chrome surround on the windows -- remember everyone, the point isn't to make fun of my Photoshop skills! ;)

Euh, why did you do this ? Don't you like that chrome ?

Last edited by a moderator: