1st Generation Lexus RC 300, 350, F and Track Edition Megathread

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
No TVD but the package still costing $18K USD is strange to me...

Yeah, a lot of sneaky stuff happened in 2023/2024. In 2023, TVD button was replaced by the e-brake button. They took out memory seats, TVD is no longer in CF package and in 2024, they have removed the 4-point aluminum shock tower brace in the engine bay that was standard all of these years.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
The RC F has now become grossly overpriced. I miss the days when it would cost in the mid-70's.

This has the same base price as the 2018 LC new.

There are still standard RCFs with LSD for $80K and basic packages on them,. Majority of them are spec'ed to $80 - $82K. CF/TVD package is now over $90K because it included all of the other packages. Mine has everything in it including cross traffic alert, ML stereo, leather, parking distance sensors, heated steering/seats, radar cruise etc. and is a 2016 and its MSRP was $86K USD in 2016 ($96K CAD). Actually, I wish I did not have most of those and CF/TVD, parking distance, cross traffic alerts and leather are the only ones I care about.

Last edited:
Reactions
What I find more interesting is the developments in the two new Track/Fuji editions variations of the higher end RCFs. With the emotional touring and enthusiast editions limited editions. Hearing now that they further tuned these versions 2UR-GSE for rotational balance and friction and also further enhanced the Torsens performance for more acceleration and performance was excellent news as we reach the last highest ends versions of this great platform. Im personally excited to see how the new iterations are as im already in love with the Track / Fuji editions performance envelopes currently. The last in my opinion GT3 inspired versions of the radical coupe indeed before we move on to the new GT3 platform. Very excited to see Lexus focus its efforts putting more track focused effort in the Torsens performance also its last tuning efforts in the 2UR-GSE before we get into assisted power ICE power plants. I think the last great hurrah indeed! Great time to be a RCF owner with all thats going on in IMSA and Super GT300!

Last edited:
Reactions
No TVD but the package still costing $18K USD is strange to me...
It's safe to say the TVD is not something Lexus is looking towards continuing in a meaningful way. Not surprised if they've deprioritized it package-wise because more people want the CF package than the actual TVD in my view value-wise, to be frank in my view. Surprised indeed at the price point to your point being static.

Last edited:
Reactions
The RC F has now become grossly overpriced. I miss the days when it would cost in the mid-70's.

This has the same base price as the 2018 LC new.
I think the RCF is priced as a M4 so I never personally had an issue with its price as a M4CP was over 100k when I was shopping for a car before I bought a RCF. If the RCF is a M4 competitor I had no issue paying 80-100k for a proper F car as its in the performance GT segment. I never really understood the overpriced argument but then again I couldn't really find a decent Luxury duel purpose GT like a M4CP or a TE/Fuji in the specs I wanted for anything not around 100k.

The LC is such a different car I really dont think it's the same offering. Driving them both I couldn't even consider it after driving a RCF considering my needs are a duel track weekend car. It reminds me of a M4 and a 8 series dynamic. You can get a 8 series for the price of a high spec M4CP but it's just not as duel focused as the M4CP. Then again pricing perspective is subjective to the buyers finances so it's just an opinion of course. I always viewed the LC as a standard 8 series alternative. I think where dealing with two different buyer target goals with the RCF/LC with all due respect that can coexist with price points in that same relation as the M4CP/8 Series Coupe.

Last edited:
Reactions
I think the RCF is priced as a M4 so I never personally had an issue with its price as a M4CP was over 100k when I was shopping for a car before I bought a RCF. If the RCF is a M4 competitor I had no issue paying 80-100k for a proper F car as its in the performance GT segment. I never really understood the overpriced argument but then again I couldn't really find a decent Luxury duel purpose GT like a M4CP or a TE/Fuji in the specs I wanted for anything not around 100k.
Are you talking F82 or G82 M4?

The G82 M4 is leaps and bounds more insane than the old one, and it blows the entire competition out of the water (RC F, C63S, RS5, CT4-V Blackwing), all for a pretty good price. The RC F is just atrociously expensive for what it is, and I love the RC F as a car.

Had the M4 not been ugly in the front, it'd sell even more than what it's selling now. It's that good and has gotten rave reviews across the board.

And had Lexus not backed down like they always do and stuffed in their twin-turbo V8 (that's set to debut in the LFR) in every single F product, you'd have a way more competitive Lexus today.
The LC is such a different car I really dont think it's the same offering. Driving them both I couldn't even consider it after driving a RCF considering my needs are a duel track weekend car. It reminds me of a M4 and a 8 series dynamic. You can get a 8 series for the price of a high spec M4CP but it's just not as duel focused as the M4CP. Then again pricing perspective is subjective to the buyers finances so it's just an opinion of course. I always viewed the LC as a standard 8 series alternative. I think where dealing with two different buyer target goals with the RCF/LC with all due respect that can coexist with price points in that same relation as the M4CP/8 Series Coupe.
The LC is completely an 8-Series competitor. It is meant to compete against that, as well as the Mercedes-AMG SL, Jaguar F-Type, Aston-Martin DB12, Bentley Continental, and much more.

The LC punches way above its weight in terms of class, elegance, and even performance for the type of car that it is. The RC F, isn't. The only saving grace is that it is now the *lightest* car in the segment. How insane is that......

Reactions
G82 when I was shopping I drove and shopped a M4CP and a RCF Fuji same price points even standard RCFs where comparable to price point I was seeing on G82s. I really couldnt tell you I expected a quantum difference there. Both cars where 102k and even standard Fs where in line with G82s here in FL so I couldn't tell you the expectation was a different price point being in the same segment. Remember when you go in for service with a RCF you have a loaner when you drive in with even my older M car you get an uber.
The G82 M4 is leaps and bounds more insane than the old one, and it blows the entire competition out of the water (RC F, C63S, RS5, CT4-V Blackwing), all for a pretty good price. The RC F is just atrociously expensive for what it is, and I love the RC F as a car.

Had the M4 not been ugly in the front, it'd sell even more than what it's selling now. It's that good and has gotten rave reviews across the board.

And had Lexus not backed down like they always do and stuffed in their twin-turbo V8 (that's set to debut in the LFR) in every single F product, you'd have a way more competitive Lexus today.

The LC is completely an 8-Series competitor. It is meant to compete against that, as well as the Mercedes-AMG SL, Jaguar F-Type, Aston-Martin DB12, Bentley Continental, and much more.
Ahh for me although you may feel that I preferred the Fuji over the M4CP due to my love of NA high revving engines. ( I also preferred the M4GTS over the G82 but this is subjective stuff on value prop so not applicable on my end ) So again its personal preference but again they're in the same category. To the same token you can get a 4cycl AMG starting at 63K but real world pricing is 80-90k across the pond in the same segment for similar price points as the MCP and RCF. I just dont see price being an issue with the RCF I think at this time frame market-wise. I think based on trends the NA V8 offering is at its end of course ...my recommendation would be to collapse the RC/LC for an FI/Hybrid assisted propulsion V8 as we talked about in the other thread come out with a new RCF M4CP and competitor in a new moniker and then LFR ( whatever it would be ) as the halo car call it a day. Maybe keep the LC for the older demo like the SC430.

I agree the LC is an 8 series competitor as I mentioned. But the RCF is the M4 competitor and is priced like one is my point as the M4CP is to the 8 Series coupe exists in relation. It's not outlandish that is has the same price point as its competitors with different offerings is my point is what im stating. I can maybe say that the RC350 can be overpriced but I think the RCF is dead on price point based on segment.

The RC350 F-Sport I believe is a solid argument for the price off based on its segment.

Last edited:

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions

The LC punches way above its weight in terms of class, elegance, and even performance for the type of car that it is. The RC F, isn't. The only saving grace is that it is now the *lightest* car in the segment. How insane is that......

I agree RCF is more of a competitor for the previous F-series M3/M4, but people don't buy these cars just on the basis of bragging rights of their numbers. When dishing out so much cash, we need to think about a millions of things figuratively speaking. I mean, why pick anything other than a Plaid then? Having said that, the AWD M3/M4 Competition are insane doing low 11s bone stock giving supercars a run for their money. No argument there. However, they are a lot more expensive. The RWD M3/M4 Competition are not nearly as invincible and do high-11s ideally. I actually held my own against a green M3 comp RWD who wanted to go from a roll on the highway granted I have few bolt-ons.

The 473 HP M4 is around $80K at around the same price as a standard/base RCF was neck and neck with the RCF in the SamCarLegion video.

Also, one intangible people forgot. RCF would be considered a "small' vehicle by today's standard. The M3/M4 are a lot bigger than the RCF and now the same size as the E60 M5 V10. Many of the other cars like Mustang GT/Darkhorse, RS5, Scatpack etc. are all huge cars in real life. They are about the size of the E60 M5 V10. so the compact packaging of the RCF despite being heavy, is something that actually helps in terms of masking the weight.

You have seen my previous Dragy videos. After I got the super damper pulley, my RCF is a total beast even at sub-optimal 4000 feet elevation

Reactions
I agree RCF is more of a competitor for the previous F-series M3/M4, but people don't buy these cars just on the basis of bragging rights of their numbers. When dishing out so much cash, we need to think about a millions of things figuratively speaking. I mean, why pick anything other than a Plaid then? Having said that, the AWD M3/M4 Competition are insane doing low 11s bone stock giving supercars a run for their money. No argument there. However, they are a lot more expensive. The RWD M3/M4 Competition are not nearly as invincible and do high-11s ideally. I actually held my own against a green M3 comp RWD who wanted to go from a roll on the highway granted I have few bolt-ons.

The 473 HP M4 is around $80K at around the same price as a standard/base RCF was neck and neck with the RCF in the SamCarLegion video.

Also, one intangible people forgot. RCF would be considered a "small' vehicle by today's standard. The M3/M4 are a lot bigger than the RCF and now the same size as the E60 M5 V10. Many of the other cars like Mustang GT/Darkhorse, RS5, Scatpack etc. are all huge cars in real life. They are about the size of the E60 M5 V10. so the compact packaging of the RCF despite being heavy, is something that actually helps in terms of masking the weight.

You have seen my previous Dragy videos. After I got the super damper pulley, my RCF is a total beast even at sub-optimal 4000 feet elevation

Despite me believing how good the new G82 M4 is, I 100% agree with your assertion. I still love the RC F, but Lexus letting it languish really gets on my nerves.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Despite me believing how good the new G82 M4 is, I 100% agree with your assertion. I still love the RC F, but Lexus letting it languish really gets on my nerves.

Yeah, M3/M4 is the benchmark no doubt and it reigns supreme, but the N/A V8 high-revving engine sound and response is something that really drove to buying this car and that does not lose its charm even today. I could see it coming 7 years ago that everything will go turbocharging and then eventually EVs.

I admit I have not done much for track driving. Next year I plan on attending a training course where there is a classroom for half a day and then hot laps with instruction the whole afternoon in your own car so I will put it through its pace at the track next summer.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I have only driven manual transmission M3/M4s so far so I couldn't really comment on the AT models. I would say at their base pricing the RC-F and G82 M4 are actually pretty comparable. I won't be surprised at all if someone in RC-F humiliate me in a drag race because very few people can shift MTs that fast. I absolutely agree the small size of RC-F helps it deal with the weight while the G82 M4 actually feels heavy. To me it's a draw with slight favor to M4 because of the interior.

The thing about the engine. S58 just doesn't work well with MT. The super tall ratio 6MT works perfectly with an engine with a very flat, diesel-style torque curve like the B58, but with the S58 it requires constant attention. Of course the older NA M3s (E46/92) also require a lot of shifting to work well, but they feel way more rewarding because I feel I'm working with the strength of the engine, with the S55/58 I'm working against the weakness of the engine.

One thing I noticed about the G generation BMWs vs. the F generation is considerably better construction quality. Their panel gaps and paint quality are now on par with Lexus. My F32 has horrendous panel gaps compared to Lexus I owned before. It seems BMW did learn something valuable from the Supra collaboration.

So my overall opinion: I will consder the RC-F because it's the best performing V8 car every made by Lexus; I will not consider a G82 M4 because I will only buy a manual M car and it just doesn't give the feel of the E46 or E92. If I need a numbers car I will just buy a TM3P.