1st Generation Lexus RC 300, 350, F and Track Edition Megathread

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Good review. Though, objectively suspension, bushings and chassis rigidity are all basically the same as the other RCFs, I believe the tightness you are feeling is more manifesting it through the 150+ lbs weight reduction simply because there is less rotational mass to control. It does make a very noticeable difference. Wish I lived somewhere closer and I would love to do a lead/follow run in my RCF CF/TVD to see how I can hang.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yes, however it just feels like it has special sauce. Remember i had a RC F Performance Pack so I’m not talking bad about it. I just do feel the upgrades are even better than just a magazine article says

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Yes, however it just feels like it has special sauce. Remember i had a RC F Performance Pack so I’m not talking bad about it. I just do feel the upgrades are even better than just a magazine article says

I was not disagreeing with you. Only making objective point of the "tighter" impressions as the chassis/suspension is more or less the same so it must be due to the 150+ lbs weight reduction where the suspension is just controlling less inertia. Just stating simple physics. BTW. the 2015 - 2019 had horrible PSS tires on them. They had decent traction, but I hated them from the first drive because of how the sidewall would collapse under tight maneuvering. The 2020+ RCF PS4S tires are much better, but still 92Y and 96Y. I found out once I swapped with 96Y and 100Y extra load PS4S tires with a lot stiffer sidewalls and much better traction. It completely transforms how the car feels especially in slow speed tight maneuvering with a small change.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAL

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Stiffer sidewall on PS4S? I'm not driving an RC-F, but I've found the exact opposite.. sidewall a lot stiffer and more supportive on the PSS, whereas the PS4S sidewall flexes/folds over in hard cornering. Both tires are just as fast as each other of course.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Stiffer sidewall on PS4S? I'm not driving an RC-F, but I've found the exact opposite.. sidewall a lot stiffer and more supportive on the PSS, whereas the PS4S sidewall flexes/folds over in hard cornering. Both tires are just as fast as each other of course.

A lot of variables there. Depends on the version of PSS you have. There are lots for different make/model plus SL vs XL. Both the 2015 - 2019 PSS and 2020+ RCF PS4S are RCF-Spec tires. Their load rating is not that great given the weight. RCF OEM have 92Y and 96Y. A Supra MK5 by comparison that is 500 lbs lighter than RCF, had a much higher load load rating of 96Y and 100Y. The Extra Load version I replaced my OEMs with now (96Y and 100Y) are meant for high performance cars much heavier than RCF (Mercedes E63 AMG) so the mass x inertia that comes with it, a lot better than the OEM PSS/PS4S tires.

This picture of my RCF on OEM PSS in a high-G turn kind of illustrates what I am talking about. You can see the front tire is rolled completely under the wheel. By comparison, the wide rear wheel/tire combined with a better 96Y load rating seem to be holding up well under a high G-force switchback/U-turn

AutoX - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
That exact issue of rolling over sidewall is what I've experienced with PS4Ss, at lower limits especially.

Ran regular PSS, Supra-spec PSS, and PS4S on my Allroad(98Y), they were all the heavy load version, 265-35-19 sizes on 9 inch width rims, so I have no stretch.

Everyone's experience is different ofc but just saying what I've experienced myself.. worst summer tires I've ever bought were Pirelli P Zeros, before I knew anything about tires haha.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
That exact issue of rolling over sidewall is what I've experienced with PS4Ss, at lower limits especially.

Ran regular PSS, Supra-spec PSS, and PS4S on my Allroad(98Y), they were all the heavy load version, 265-35-19 sizes on 9 inch width rims, so I have no stretch.

Everyone's experience is different ofc but just saying what I've experienced myself.. worst summer tires I've ever bought were Pirelli P Zeros, before I knew anything about tires haha.

Yeah, depends on make/model as their construction is vastly different for different models. Mine are intended for the much heavier E63 AMG. The PS4S XL (96Y and 100Y) are a drastic improvement over the OEMs and at least the ones I have seem to resist overload on the sidewalls quite well even in 1.00+ G turns. It does make the car less forgiving over bunps etc. Though, if you want properly aggressive tires then you need to go R888 or RE71 etc.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
RE71R are lovely.. perfect autocross and canyon tires.. warm up on the spot! Shame they're discontinued, heard the RE71RS successors are quite good, but they've gotten pricier too.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Nob from Best Motoring does a tidy 1:06 around Tsukuba in an LSD base/moonroof RCF. There is a drift show at the end. Would have been cool to see the JDM Spec CF/TVD RCF. Most likely, a 1:05.x

1692480980177.png

1692480992599.png

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
That's a very, very slow time for Tsukuba.

It was not the most aggressive time attack. Keep in mind, on small tracks 1/10th of a second easily skewed by a tiny change. Hence, it still did have potential to be a good 1:05.x. When he gets to the final stretch only about 100m from finish, he was at 1:04 and then the tail snapped wide under power into the bus stop and lost time correcting his racing line. Having said that, you are right as you expect better from it. 1:06 is an OK lap time for a small, technical track in a bone stock one with LSD/moonroof. A lot of the lap times on the net are not for OEM spec cars. Predecessor ISF by comparison did a 1:08 - 1:07 in various tests. A modded RCF with coilovers, better tires and a bigger spoiler did a 1:02. The lap times seem to be all over the place due to different drivers where E46 CSL is slower than the E46 M3. I also think Nob is not the best of the drivers from Best Motoring. Max Orido or Tsuchiya could have squeezed out quite a bit more.

Tsukuba.png

Last edited:

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Recently just installed RR Racing Harmonic "ATI Super Damper" pulley on my RCF. Sharing my very first experience redlining my RCF after the installation. I made the video the very first time running it to redline. I also have Invidia exhaust, ECU software tune, cold air intake, front LCA bushings.

Last edited: