16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
View attachment 6476
I hate low slung cars but this is an exception maskes it look like a sedan

Give me a giant vehicle with variable ride heights that take it from SUV down to enormous Sedan.

I stand by what I said.

They should make the LS a 3 letter vehicle, make it cost 150k+ and just call it the Lexus VLS (very large sedan) or LSX.
I mean they won't but I'd love that.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Toyota please bring the Crown sedan to North America. Looks very reminiscent of the Toyota Mirai which is an awesome looking sedan.

I can imagine them replacing the Mirai with it tbh, granted it would have to be a hydrogen version.

Reactions
The new Toyota Crown may save gas with its fuel economy of 41 mpg overall, but buying one may be more expensive than you think. According to Toyota dealer incentive bulletins, the 2023 Crown is excluded from financing and lease deals. At an interest rate of 8.96% APR, buying one could involve over $12,000 in interest.

Toyota's online payment estimator lists the 2023 Crown XLE Hybrid at $703 for 72 months based on a down payment of $2,000. With no money down, the payment rises to $739. The underlying interest rate is a non-promotional rate of 8.96% APR. That's the highest interest rate that we've ever seen advertised by Toyota.

On a $41,000 car, we estimate that a 6-year loan at 8.96% would cost roughly $53,153 before taxes & fees. Even though the car itself is reasonably priced, buying one at the listed rate would involve $12,153 in interest. On the high-end Platinum trim, the payment would be $962 with nearly $16,000 going toward interest.

Although a shorter loan can get you a lower rate, there isn't much of an advantage. Toyota lists an interest rate of 8.57% for all terms up to 60 months. While it's no secret that interest rates have been going up due to Fed rate hikes, the lack of APR deals on the Crown could make it prohibitively expensive for car buyers.

Leasing may offer no relief since the 2023 Crown is excluded from lease deals. That means no promotional money factors to help lower the price. If you're buying, we estimate that you could potentially step up to an over-$44,000 Toyota Highlander Hybrid XLE and end up spending quite a bit less money in the process.

That's because the Highlander offers 4.99% APR financing for 72 months. With $0 down, that would involve a payment of about $717 per month. While an interest cost of $7,094 still isn't cheap, it could be a way to get more car for your money. At least until Toyota rolls out some sort of financing incentive on the Crown.

If you're a holiday car shopper, we think it's worth noting that Toyota hasn't announced any Black Friday car deals as of this writing. Given the fact that the Crown is an all-new vehicle, we don't expect any surprises before the weekend. In contrast, Jeep is offering up to $4,000 in bonus cash on select Gladiator plug-in hybrids.

The Crown isn't the only Toyota that suffers from a high-interest rate. As we reported previously, the all-new GR Corolla has the exact same rate and buying the cheapest model would still involve over $10,000 in interest. For now, it may be worth considering models with lower rates if you want the best deal possible.
9% interest rate? No thanks!

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Ever walked into one of those stores where even the cheapest thing is unaffordable to 99.5% of people and companies don't seem to care?

Coming soon to everything near you!

Also you need to take the return you make risk free (let's say 4% now) on the down-payment as opportunity cost. So on 44k highlander 9k down over 72mo at 4% basic annual yield risk free you're not taking that's another 0.5% per year or 5% of purchase price. This gets higher the higher rates go.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Just write a check in the amount of $41K for the Toyota Crown and you won't have to worry about the interest spent on the money borrowed.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Just write a check in the amount of $41K for the Toyota Crown and you won't have to worry about the interest spent on the money borrowed.

No you just have to worry about not earning 4 to 7% on 41k instead

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
They're making a global business case for a LHD RWD Crown but couldn't for the GS?

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
They are converting crown into a brand, now it makes sense in Asia but not in America because lexus is still not as prominent in Asia but the lineup is a bit baffling.