16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Has it been discussed that the Crown Sport was shown as BEV CUV during the big BEV expo in Dec'21? I know the Crown Sport isn't slated for US market at the moment, but I some wording on various article mention it overlapping with the Highlander a lot size wise. Does that mean that maybe the Highlander doesn't survive another generation, being replaced by the Grand Highlander effectively, and the Crown BEV slots in below the recently announced 3 row BEV crossover at the Kentucky plant?

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Has it been discussed that the Crown Sport was shown as BEV CUV during the big BEV expo in Dec'21? I know the Crown Sport isn't slated for US market at the moment, but I some wording on various article mention it overlapping with the Highlander a lot size wise. Does that mean that maybe the Highlander doesn't survive another generation, being replaced by the Grand Highlander effectively, and the Crown BEV slots in below the recently announced 3 row BEV crossover at the Kentucky plant?
I could see the Crown Estate taking over from the Highlander, as it is about the size of the first-generation Venza. The Crown Sport is closer to RAV4 size.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I remember hearing that Crown Sport is ~6” longer and like 2” wider than Venza, and positioned as a “true size” midsize, two row vehicle which is something Toyota does need IMO.

If I remember correctly, Toyota’s own buyer research shows that most Highlander buyers are empty nesters or couples with no kids who don’t actually need the third row but like having it just in case.

“Venza - Crown Sport - Highlander” does seem a little crowded to me, but I can also see the use cases independently. Venza is low volume. Highlander buyer is going to want the third row even if they don’t use it. Crown Sport could be the closest to a “Toyota RX” formula.

Corolla Cross
RAV4
Venza
bZ4x
Crown Sport
4Runner
Land Cruiser
Highlander
Grand Highlander
Sequoia

😵‍💫😵‍💫

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
and positioned as a “true size” midsize, two row vehicle which is something Toyota does need IMO.

Do they though? That segment is usually outsold by both mid-full 3 rows and compacts.

Ie, the Rogue/Pathfinder outsell the Murano, the Escape/Explorer outsell the Edge, Equinox and Traverse outsell the Blazer, CR-V and Pilot outsell the Passport...

That said I would love to have the Crown Sport here but not really a necessary segment to cover IMO. It's more important in the luxury segment.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I remember hearing that Crown Sport is ~6” longer and like 2” wider than Venza, and positioned as a “true size” midsize, two row vehicle which is something Toyota does need IMO.

If I remember correctly, Toyota’s own buyer research shows that most Highlander buyers are empty nesters or couples with no kids who don’t actually need the third row but like having it just in case.

“Venza - Crown Sport - Highlander” does seem a little crowded to me, but I can also see the use cases independently. Venza is low volume. Highlander buyer is going to want the third row even if they don’t use it. Crown Sport could be the closest to a “Toyota RX” formula.

Corolla Cross
RAV4
Venza
bZ4x
Crown Sport
4Runner
Land Cruiser
Highlander
Grand Highlander
Sequoia

😵‍💫😵‍💫
Included between the Crown Sport and the Highlander is the original (Camry wagon) Venza and the new Crown Estate.

The Crown Estate may be a good choice (only choice) for those looking for a station wagon but not a taller-riding crossover SUV (like the Highlander).

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Some mindless speculating I've been doing in my car...

I wonder if Toyota is aiming to replace the Lexus ICE RWD segment partially with the Crown lineup, as the existing Lexus lineup transitions to fully electric besides LFR.

So far we've had rumours of the Crown Coupe and Convertible which could mean that there is discussions going on at Toyota regarding indirectly replacing the LC500 with a Crown-branded model.

Additionally, I was reading in one of the articles about the recent Mirai Sport, that Toyota was using that to gauge public reception whether they can produce a sportier oriented sedan, and in my mind this could potentially be sold under a Crown brand as a smaller, sports sedan indirectly taking the ICE IS/GS role.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I love the Crown Sport, and I really hope it makes it to the US. I do wonder if Toyota could base the 3rd gen Venza on the Crown Sport rather than the Harrier. That would prevent the lineup from getting too crowded, and also prevent any confusion between the Crown Sport and Crown Crossover.

Other option, which I’m a fan of, is for Toyota to create a whole Crown sub-brand.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Isnt it already being communicated as such?

Toyota badges on them feel first gen and in passing, to earn the assocation before branching out.
Yes, like Hyundai Genesis at the beginning, before it became a Genesis G80.

2016-Hyundai-Genesis-V8-Ultimate03.jpg

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Isnt it already being communicated as such?

Toyota badges on them feel first gen and in passing, to earn the assocation before branching out.

Yes and no. Those of us who know of other Crown models would feel like it’s already a sub-brand. The general public, who barely know what a Crown Crossover is, don’t know of the other Crown products and just view Crown as another Toyota product.

Then you’ve got the whole generic naming convention that is really going to confuse people. The Toyota Crown Crossover is arguably a sedan (it has a trunk which most people associate with sedans), then the Toyota Crown Sport is really the crossover in the Crown lineup, then there’s the Toyota Crown Sedan, which is aptly named but conflicts with the Toyota Crown Crossover (which most people think of as a sedan). So, we have the Toyota Crown Crossover sedan, the Toyota Crown Sport crossover and the Toyota Crown Sedan sedan. That’s bananas.

I guarantee that’s how the general public is going to view the lineup. Hopefully, by the time the other Crown models make it to North America, the Crown sub-brand will have been established and other names besides Sedan, Sport, and Crossover can be used. I like what I see in the Crown brand, and I want it to succeed. I don’t want to see it fail like Scion. Toyota has got to come up with better branding though.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Screen Shot 2023-06-17 at 8.31.35 AM.png1687015929663.png

Assuming that upper concept from the 2019 EV reveal ended up becoming the ICE Crown Crossover? Lots of shared design themes, with slight variations in some of the body panels and a fastback roofline on the Crown.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
I saw the new Crown in real life.
It was nice but Land Cruiser 300 still felt like a step above.

Felt abit flimsy in some parts though, I've noticed this in many newer TNGA Toyota, especially exterior panels.

Surprised to see manual hood prop at the Crown level.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Yes and no. Those of us who know of other Crown models would feel like it’s already a sub-brand. The general public, who barely know what a Crown Crossover is, don’t know of the other Crown products and just view Crown as another Toyota product.

Then you’ve got the whole generic naming convention that is really going to confuse people. The Toyota Crown Crossover is arguably a sedan (it has a trunk which most people associate with sedans), then the Toyota Crown Sport is really the crossover in the Crown lineup, then there’s the Toyota Crown Sedan, which is aptly named but conflicts with the Toyota Crown Crossover (which most people think of as a sedan). So, we have the Toyota Crown Crossover sedan, the Toyota Crown Sport crossover and the Toyota Crown Sedan sedan. That’s bananas.

I guarantee that’s how the general public is going to view the lineup. Hopefully, by the time the other Crown models make it to North America, the Crown sub-brand will have been established and other names besides Sedan, Sport, and Crossover can be used. I like what I see in the Crown brand, and I want it to succeed. I don’t want to see it fail like Scion. Toyota has got to come up with better branding though.
If the Crown line up are priced well and have great handling dynamics, I don't think nomenclature will matter TBH. Some consumer may order the wrong model but it's crazy to think that's even possible when a car is typically the second largest expenditure besides a home and r/e investment properties.

The reason why Scion died is because other than the 86, the products were non-competitive as most consumers wanted bigger and bigger cars.