16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Dang, that Crown Sport PHEV is really nice! I’d be super tempted to have one of those as a DD. The Crown Sedan is very nice too, and being rear drive is fantastic. It’ll be interesting to see what engine is offered. It’s a perfect opportunity to reveal a new V6 (smaller displacement TT V6 or a non-turbo V35), but that’s probably wishful thinking on my part. It’s interesting to see what’ll happen there.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Fuel cell for sedan will be interesting. It’s also 5 inches longer vs the current sedan. Maybe will be called Crown Majesta when released. I really hope the hybrid isn’t just the 2.5L and is either the V6 or 2.4LT hybrid

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
8GR hybrid setup was a great powertrain in the GS 450h, though I'm less enamored with it in the LS and LC. That setup in a lighter application (will Crown sedan be lighter...?) would be desirable as a spiritual successor to the GS. I hope they bring it to the USA.

I really like the Crown sedan, sport and estate a lot. Crossover is the least interesting to me 😂

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Just taking a guess here, but since it’s much longer than the current sedan, and a luxurious backseat, I think it might be heavier, I think that’s due to making it a Majesta type model. The current V6 hybrid is already a pig at 4200lbs. The LC500h weighs 4400lbs

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Currently the “500h” denomination has two power possibilities: T24A hybrid and 8GR hybrid, which replace the 2GR hybrid. The 2GR hybrid was available in two configurations, transverse layout in the RX 450h and longitudinal layout in the GS 450h. The T24A replaces all 2GRs in FWD based cars, and in combination with hybrid and AWD eliminates the mechanical link between ICE and rear wheels. How can a T24A hybrid be developed for a RWD platform for only one model when there are three models that have 8GR, and two for the foreseeable future? The trucks will be like the Tundra hybrid, and their gearbox will be different due to 4WD transmission, which cannot just be put in the FR car platform.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
8GR hybrid setup was a great powertrain in the GS 450h, though I'm less enamored with it in the LS and LC.

The GS 450h didn’t have 8GR but 2GR-FKS.

Just taking a guess here, but since it’s much longer than the current sedan, and a luxurious backseat, I think it might be heavier, I think that’s due to making it a Majesta type model. The current V6 hybrid is already a pig at 4200lbs. The LC500h weighs 4400lbs
I think it will replace Toyota Mirai (sold in Europe too), Crown Majesta (non more sold and was on old N platform) so as Crown (S220 on TNGA platform which already replaced the Crown Majesta). Sedans don’t sell, so consolidation is the only way.

Anyway Crown (S220) was already very close in size to the Crown Majesta (LWB Crown S210).

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Currently the “500h” denomination has two power possibilities: T24A hybrid and 8GR hybrid, which replace the 2GR hybrid. The 2GR hybrid was available in two configurations, transverse layout in the RX 450h and longitudinal layout in the GS 450h. The T24A replaces all 2GRs in FWD based cars, and in combination with hybrid and AWD eliminates the mechanical link between ICE and rear wheels. How can a T24A hybrid be developed for a RWD platform for only one model when there are three models that have 8GR, and two for the foreseeable future? The trucks will be like the Tundra hybrid, and their gearbox will be different due to 4WD transmission, which cannot just be put in the FR car platform.
Really no reason why you couldn't put the upcoming 2.4T hybrid from the Tacoma into an FR sedan. Toyota makes 2WD, 4WD, 2WD HV, and 4WD HV versions of the current Tundra transmission. The core section of the transmission is the same. The front is either a traditional torque converter/bell housing or the electric motor. The rear either has a tailshaft that mates up to a transfer case (for 4WD) or the prop shaft (for 2WD).

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Really no reason why you couldn't put the upcoming 2.4T hybrid from the Tacoma into an FR sedan. Toyota makes 2WD, 4WD, 2WD HV, and 4WD HV versions of the current Tundra transmission. The core section of the transmission is the same. The front is either a traditional torque converter/bell housing or the electric motor. The rear either has a tailshaft that mates up to a transfer case (for 4WD) or the prop shaft (for 2WD).
Lexus didn’t put the V35A hybrid in a potential LS 600h. Why?
For FR layout the electric motor will be different and quite probably less powerful than Direct4. Toyota doesn’t give trucks and cars the same engine tune, with the hybrid component it adds to the tuning/calibration job, and this only for one car. Unless of course, LS and LC get the T24A hybrid instead of their current 8GR. But the LC just got an update and the LC 500h has an upgraded battery, which will likely be what the new Crown sedan gets too.

The website already says HEV FR and not AWD. Tacoma HEV will be 4WD only, no RWD version.

Lexus Press said:
Also to improve driving performance, the LC 500h Coupé’s lithium-ion battery for the Multi Stage Hybrid system now has higher-capacity cells. This delivers power more quickly, enhancing responsiveness and acceleration feel.
The job and tuning is done.

Last edited:

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Lexus didn’t put the V35A hybrid in a potential LS 600h. For FR layout the electric motor will be different and quite probably less powerful than Direct4. Toyota doesn’t give trucks and cars the same engine tune, with the hybrid component it adds to the tuning/calibration job, and this only for one car. Unless of course, LS and LC get the T24A hybrid instead of their current 8GR. But the LC just got an update and the LC 500h has an upgraded battery, which will likely be what the new Crown sedan gets too.

The website already says HEV FR and not AWD. Tacoma HEV will be 4WD only, no RWD version.
We don't know that Tacoma will only get HEV in 4WD. I was as shocked as you when I checked the transmission types on Tundra and realized that they offered HV in both 2WD and 4WD. I'm just saying that the parts will likely exist to make an FR HEV 2.4T happen. We don't know the size of motor or battery that will be powering the Tacoma HEV at this point, either. That said, IMO, the Tacoma HEV will be focused more on efficiency than power rather than Tundra/Sequoia which are basically performance hybrids.

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
The redline displayed in the Crown Sport interior video is at 6,500 rpm and the redline for the Crown Sedan and Estate are at 7,000 rpm. The T24A-FTS non-hybrid powertrain and hybrid powertrain both have a redline at 6,200 rpm based on interior pictures of the Crown Max and RX500h. Additionally, the A25A-FKS has a redline at 6,800 rpm while the A25A-FXS hybrid has a redline at 6,000 rpm.

So my question is, what gives? Photoshop/editing not reflective of actual powertrains?

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
I'm hoping the sedan comes to the state and gets the 8GR setup like the LC/LS, that will be a hint that it is replacing the GS and also what the crown will be for the US Market. the only question is will Lexus be willing to let Toyota use an engine in their flagship vehicle, if the answer is yes then that makes the future of Lexus even much more interesting.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
I don’t see this as a GS replacement. It’s for traditional Crown heritage, with it being driven for executives in the backseat, that’s why it’s much longer than the current Crown. Kinda like a mini LS. GS is more sporty.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
WheelbaseLengthWidthHeight
Crown Majesta (S210)2,925 mm4,970 mm1,800 mm1,460 mm
Crown (S220)2,920 mm4,910 mm1,800 mm1,455 mm
Mirai (JPD20)2,920 mm4,975 mm1,885 mm1,470 mm
Crown (S230?)3,000 mm5,030 mm1,890 mm1,470 mm
LS (XF50)3,125 mm5,235 mm1,900 mm1,450–1,460 mm

The Crown sedan (S230?) is not much longer than previous Crown generations, compared to how much longer the LS is. The Crown Sedan is clearly a replacement of the Crown S220 on TNGA GA-L platform and it is going global. Engines are a carryover of the Crown S220 hybrid powertrains (no ICE-only engine choice) and Mirai fuel cell. The S230 is not badged Lexus GS, but it is a direct successor of the GS 450h (L10). It grew in size, but so did the LS (XF50) compared to the LS (XF40).

42302_002.jpg

Look at that rear window C-quarter window, the same hard points as Crown S230.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Mind you crown s220 is still in production for police cars and will be discontinued once s230 comes out