16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
The previous gen was mostly sold with this engine and the corporate customers which is the target market for this also mostly buy this powertrain or will now opt for the fcev because of tax relief so it is unlikely they will put a v6 in this unless it is a phev

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Welcome addition are rear massage seats, seats look better, interior looks more spacious, the 2.5l has been upgraded, panoramic roof noteable and power trunk lid omissions compared to previous gen are no more height channel speakers, no rear roof ac vents, lack of engine choices, lack of colour options both exterior and interior

Levi

Expert
Reactions
There are rumours though the sedan may also make it's way to europe not the US though
The Crown with A25A vs the ES with the same A25A, I wonder which will be better car for business travel. Important aspects will be rear space, fuel efficiency, comfort and NVH. Even if the Crown it badged Toyota it will look quite stately, so this should not be an issue.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
And it weighs over 2 tons and still has less space than a Crown crossover. That's 150kg heavier than the 3.5 multistage and 280kg heavier than the old 2.5 hybrid.

So you can have a rough idea how much a GS based on this would suck. Put the 3.5 multistage in it and add AWD and we are back in LS weight territory. GA-L is just bad.

We dodged a bullet when they chose to refresh the 3IS instead of building it on such a bloated platform.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
You do know the previous Crown is also based on GA-L too, right?
Yes, and it was not good either. But at least the 3.5 was pretty good as a Crown Athlete model. This new one is supposed to be the new Majesta but worse than the Majestas before it.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Outside of perference for RWD vs FWD, looking at Crown Sedan vs. ES is a great study in how good GA-K is and how compromised GA-L is... namely across weight, packaging and space efficiency.

ESh "only" weighs 3,700lbs and has "only" 215hp but with electric motors, so it is significantly lighter and also more powerful than Crown. Not to mention much more space everywhere.

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
This new one is supposed to be the new Majesta but worse than the Majestas before it
The LS based Majesta's I agree, but the GS based ones I'm not sure. How much power does this 2.5 multi-stage make?
How can a Crown sedan with A25A hybrid be “better” than an ES 500h with T24A hybrid, or even a Crown crossover hybrid max?
Platform, materials, design, etc... besides it's a multi-stage hybrid with the 10AT. And they could chuck in the V35A or a stronger motor anytime for a GR Crown sedan.
more powerful than Crown
The hybrid ES still doesn't make up the power deficit. You also gotta keep in mind the new Crown is bigger than the previous Crowns.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
The LS based Majesta's I agree, but the GS based ones I'm not sure. How much power does this 2.5 multi-stage make?

Platform, materials, design, etc... besides it's a multi-stage hybrid with the 10AT. And they could chuck in the V35A or a stronger motor anytime for a GR Crown sedan.

The hybrid ES still doesn't make up the power deficit. You also gotta keep in mind the new Crown is bigger than the previous Crowns.
The hybrid produces 250bhp and the multistage hybrid is straight out of the previous 8gr producing 180bhp on its own.
Considering v6 hybrid didn't sell well in japan they might just have not considered it worth making but it is yet to be launched in china and maybe Europe so they may get a phev or something too

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
What is the hp output on the new multistage hybrid? I didn't see it in the press release.