5th Generation Toyota Prius

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
If they put the Rav4 Prime powertrain in there it'd be cool, a GR Prius. Upgrade the suspension massively, rear wing, body kit and we good. Only downside is e-cvt. But would be a better fit since this is what the Prius is about. 220hp can hit 60 in mid-high 6s, another 80hp can see a low 5s 0-60, if a Rav4 can do it in under 6. This is more realistic than a GRMN with G16E, and a better fit imo

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
https://bestcarweb.jp/news/scoop/584244

BestCar now reports a Prius PHV GRMN coming next year. The GRMN is strange because it's the top of GR line for limited-production track spec GR cars. I doubt the Prius can be a GRMN grade product no matter how hard they try. I don't think this will even be a GR product because there's no space in the chassis for powertrain upgrades. It will be a GR Sports at best.
A GRMN Prius before a Lexus F car will be a let down IMO

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
https://bestcarweb.jp/news/scoop/584244

BestCar now reports a Prius PHV GRMN coming next year. The GRMN is strange because it's the top of GR line for limited-production track spec GR cars. I doubt the Prius can be a GRMN grade product no matter how hard they try. I don't think this will even be a GR product because there's no space in the chassis for powertrain upgrades. It will be a GR Sports at best.
Yeah I think the GRMN part will be wrong. They often get the *type* of rumour correct but not the specifications. I can definitely see a GR Sport happening because it happened to the previous gen, with sportier styling and stiffer suspension.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
If they put the Rav4 Prime powertrain in there it'd be cool, a GR Prius. Upgrade the suspension massively, rear wing, body kit and we good. Only downside is e-cvt. But would be a better fit since this is what the Prius is about. 220hp can hit 60 in mid-high 6s, another 80hp can see a low 5s 0-60, if a Rav4 can do it in under 6. This is more realistic than a GRMN with G16E, and a better fit imo
RAV4 Prime powertrain does not fit in Prius.

Also all GRMN products need to be race ready from the factory (i.e. just add safety gear and race it). This requires the powertrain to be able to operate at close to peak power for long time. THS is bad at sustained high output.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
RAV4 Prime powertrain does not fit in Prius.

Also all GRMN products need to be race ready from the factory (i.e. just add safety gear and race it). This requires the powertrain to be able to operate at close to peak power for long time. THS is bad at sustained high output.
I expect the engine and transmission would fit in the Prius. A higher capacity battery from the RavP would not fit and we already know that the PriusP requires sacrificing AWD for PHEV capability.

Chevrolet claims that their through-the-road hybrid E-Ray will be able to track reliably with a 1.9kWh battery. My thinking is that a through the road hybrid would struggle to keep the battery topped up more than a system where the engine can directly recharge the battery while braking and coasting in corners.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
No they are not. The Prius C is already replaced by Yaris hybrid and Prius V by Corolla Wagon hybrid. The Aqua only exists because of strong JDM demand. Prius C was never popular out of Japan.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
No they are not. The Prius C is already replaced by Yaris hybrid and Prius V by Corolla Wagon hybrid. The Aqua only exists because of strong JDM demand. Prius C was never popular out of Japan.
The Prius c had a moment in the US. But then gas dropped a bit and that moment disappeared. I'm surprised it didn't find some success in Europe, though. It was really poorly suited to the US market.

Will1991

Reactions
It wasn't available in EU, we've the Yaris HSD that sells really well now (the previous wasn't all that special).

Motor

Expert
Reactions