MKV Toyota Supra Master Thread

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Reactions

Yup, there you go. :)

The long-awaited manual transmission GR Supra is finally here.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Smart. Thanks to the partnership with BMW and how they approach model year changes, Toyota has been able to do something to the Supra every year to keep it relevant and interesting. Incremental change is key!
I hope the incremental update model spreads to their entire lineup. We are now seeing this on their electronics side but hopefully they do it to mechanical side as well. Their old product cycle model was painful and is guaranteed to fail in the age of highly networked and electrified cars. Back in the 90s they had extremely aggressive 2-year facelift/4-year redesign cycle that constantly kept their cars at top competitiveness.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I hope the incremental update model spreads to their entire lineup. We are now seeing this on their electronics side but hopefully they do it to mechanical side as well. Their old product cycle model was painful and is guaranteed to fail in the age of highly networked and electrified cars. Back in the 90s they had extremely aggressive 2-year facelift/4-year redesign cycle that constantly kept their cars at top competitiveness.
Where does Tesla fit with their already 10 year old model S and the all new buy still 10 years old looking model Y? Since when do customers accept same old looking product? I thought they got the latest new 1.5K smartphone every year...

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Where does Tesla fit with their already 10 year old model S and the all new buy still 10 years old looking model Y? Since when do customers accept same old looking product? I thought they got the latest new 1.5K smartphone every year...
simple software updates whether its a fart noise generator or fsd updates are all folks need to feel special inside. EVs are rolling computers, and as long as your pushing an update the general buying public is impressed.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
simple software updates whether its a fart noise generator or fsd updates are all folks need to feel special inside. EVs are rolling computers, and as long as your pushing an update the general buying public is impressed.
"Rolling computers" is not something to ne proud of, if they are équivalent to Android phones, that don't trully get updates as is thé case for Apple devices. Then when I think of thé usefullness of many updates.....I better thème not update while dégradé....

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
"Rolling computers" is not something to ne proud of, if they are équivalent to Android phones, that don't trully get updates as is thé case for Apple devices. Then when I think of thé usefullness of many updates.....I better thème not update while dégradé....
You kind of lost me there with the reference to Android and Apple devices? Do you mean the concept of a vehicle becoming a rolling computer is uncharted territory and/or poised to fail with the addition of planned obsolescence such that of consumer computing devices or something else?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
You kind of lost me there with the reference to Android and Apple devices? Do you mean the concept of a vehicle becoming a rolling computer is uncharted territory and/or poised to fail with the addition of planned obsolescence such that of consumer computing devices or something else?
To be usable, hardware gets firmware/software updates, that include security, bug and functionality updates. In the consumer smartphone market (pocket computer), most Android devices do not get updates as they should (3-5 years), which makes them obsolete after max 2 years, because without the software the hardware is useless. That is not the case of Apple devices.

I would not want my 50k rolling computer to turn into a brick in 5 years because it does not get updates anymore.

supra93

Expert
Reactions

20220502_supra_z_-1-jpg.66588

Last edited:

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
To be usable, hardware gets firmware/software updates, that include security, bug and functionality updates. In the consumer smartphone market (pocket computer), most Android devices do not get updates as they should (3-5 years), which makes them obsolete after max 2 years, because without the software the hardware is useless. That is not the case of Apple devices.

I would not want my 50k rolling computer to turn into a brick in 5 years because it does not get updates anymore.
I must disagree.

I have a 5-year old Android tablet that no longer receives Android operating system updates (but it still receives updates of the apps installed on it). It is far from being a brick. I still use it for reading ebooks and can surf the internet; it may be a bit slow but it is definitely usable.

And a car is different. There is a lot of software on a car -- not just the software in the infotainment system. Literally every function you can think of is computer and software controlled -- accelerator, brakes, steering, heating-air conditioning, etc., etc., etc., etc... As long as the hardware is still functional (the electronics hardware is subject to wear and tear) and there are no major bugs in the software (software life is infinite), a car will be able to run for years and years, even if the software is not updated.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Is the Supra slated for a refresh anytime soon? Maybe MY 2023, or 2024 since the manual announcement was already made for 2023?

Reactions
Is the Supra slated for a refresh anytime soon? Maybe MY 2023, or 2024 since the manual announcement was already made for 2023?
Shouldn't MY23 be a refresh? That would be SOP for a MMC. The manual shown in the press photos sports wheels we haven't seen before...

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Yeah doesn't look like it's getting a full "LCI" service just minor updates over the years like this MY2023 getting some updates

Reactions
I actually continued reading that thread and ynguldyn has admitted that the G2X cars will have another 1-2 years to its production instead of the typical 7 year life-cycle.

I'm not sure what this spells for Toyota though. I do think it will give them a bigger buffer time to develop the A100 and if this reflects on the A90 as well, that means we will have the GR Supra until ~2028-2029 which is huge.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

This is the new blue, it looks so good!

In certain markets it's called Dawn Blue, in others called Stratosphere Blue, basically Portimao Blue from BMW.