MKV Toyota Supra Master Thread

Reactions
I think what Kevin is saying is how he and CALTY had a hand in the LC design as well, like you alluded to.

I didn't read or see anything from him that dismissed the work of the engineers and designers from Japan. He did have a huge hand in the designs of the FJ Cruiser and GR Supra, which were the two other cars that were mentioned in the video.

For the sake of not being awkward, he just let George say that he was the creator of the LC design. But given how this guy has worked in Toyota for many decades, it's pretty unfair to give Kevin this sort of response. Calling someone a real piece of human garbage because he's the face of Toyota design and CALTY is a stretch.

Those people that you mention have done a ton of work. In fact, someone I know in this forum works for another car company as a designer. They're just another individual in a team, and they did a huge chunk of the design on their recent products (and one of those products are insanely popular at this moment) but they're not the person that's representing the company like say Kevin is for Toyota.

Building a car takes an entire team. Nobody is discrediting or taking away the work of that team. And for their sake, I do hope they get the respect that they do within Toyota and Lexus, but going after Kevin like this isn't necessary IMO, as two of the three cars that were being talked about started out from CALTY, and he was getting praise for those two cars as well.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
This is insanity. I am well aware of how a car is commercialized.

the real talent IS someone at Calty.
How many times do I have to say this isn’t a Japan vs Calty thing.

I’m not speculating here, or saying I know *of* the people behind it. I’m saying I know, and have been told explicitly about this car, and I’ve shared with Gecko things none of you ever will see that validate that.

The fact is that the one, maybe two main people on this car did much of the heavy lifting and haven’t been acknowledged at all.

People don’t even realize what auto OEMs really do.

Given half the stuff I know falls under NDAs, I won’t say any more, but that interview is egregious.

That fin for me

Reactions
This is insanity. I am well aware of how a car is commercialized.

the real talent IS someone at Calty.
How many times do I have to say this isn’t a Japan vs Calty thing.

I’m not speculating here, or saying I know *of* the people behind it. I’m saying I know, and have been told explicitly about this car, and I’ve shared with Gecko things none of you ever will see that validate that.

The fact is that the one, maybe two main people on this car did much of the heavy lifting and haven’t been acknowledged at all.

People don’t even realize what auto OEMs really do.

Given half the stuff I know falls under NDAs, I won’t say any more, but that interview is egregious.

That fin for me
Take a breather.

Even if I mistook your point a few replies ago about WHO was actually responsible for the LC's design (I eventually understood it that CALTY took a huge part in designing the LC from watching the interview with Kevin), I'm not discrediting anything you're saying in the general sense.

And while I'll just take your words at face value, the way you say things are extremely holier than thou. I know of things as well, but there is no reason to talk like this. I also understand what goes on behind the scenes at OEM's. I even cited an example myself.

I was simply saying that to me I didn't get vibes of Kevin saying it was "me me me" in that interview. If he was trying to take credit for everything, then your complaints would be fair.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
it’s just brutal because people don’t realize what a difficult job it is and so many people go unappreciated and overworked to the point of having real mental health problems. It’s so frustrating, and it’s a bit… personal for me in this case so take that as you will

Reactions
it’s just brutal because people don’t realize what a difficult job it is and so many people go unappreciated and overworked to the point of having real mental health problems. It’s so frustrating, and it’s a bit… personal for me in this case so take that as you will

These are all fair points.

I first saw your quite angry responses and I was quite surprised. I asked myself "is Kevin really like this"? And honestly when I saw the video, it did not come across that way for me IMO.

However if Kevin was being a lot more bullish that he was the one that made everything happen, I'd say the comments were fair. Watching the interview he was just letting George do a lot of the talking.

The part where you mention about people being "unappreciated and overworked" is something I get wholeheartedly. It does lead to mental health problems over time. Neglect is such a horrible feeling. It can rip one to shreds. Sometimes I feel like rationalizing a lot of things in life gives me closure. But admittedly, this is one of those things that cannot be rationalized as it's hard to deal with.

If Kevin was truly a guy of poor attitude, I would be a betting man that he would not survive all those years (since he's the head of CALTY for the world's largest OEM) had he been self-centred, and one way or another, he would be shown the door.

In terms of it happening to you personally. I am so sorry it has happened to you. I cannot think of a helpful response other than this because I do not know how to respond to this by immediately writing a reply. I would need to think what I would need to say to further support or to uplift you. Although, I can say this. You owe it to yourself to be grateful for something on this place we inhabit that we call Earth. Take the positives out of everything. If you don't, it will eat away at you until it eventually ends you.

Talk to someone too. It'll help. :)

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I appreciate that! Luckily it’s not my mental health that is the concern. I am fortunate to be appreciated in my work.

the talented folks behind these others cars less so. I can promise you, this man is overstating involvement by an immense amount. One of his people is the real talent, end to end vehicle commercialization expert.

again, it can be hard to believe, but yes the LC was largely realized by one person left alone and told “good luck!”

after the huge success, you started seeing all these people come out to claim credit.

No good leader does whatever Kevin is doing here.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
There were some points in that video where it felt like we were watching the frame/sheetmetal reach the... uh... breaking point.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
However unfair that might be, it is unfortunately the way it is done, and is unlikely to change. But it is the right thing to do in a working society, to give credit to whom is due, and denounce the usurper.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
However unfair that might be, it is unfortunately the way it is done, and is unlikely to change. But it is the right thing to do in a working society, to give credit to whom is due, and denounce the usurper.

Changing the way we do things is a foundational part of my job.

I can’t say more but the above isn’t necessarily true. There are efforts to make better places to work, achieving great things in better more sustainable ways.

Things will get better, we just need to make it so.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Thanks for finding the IG post @Guff

screen-shot-2022-04-14-at-11-37-37-pm-png.64688

Last edited:

supra93

Expert
Reactions

2023 GR Supra

2023-supra-MT.png

4/4 - A manual transmission is confirmed for 2023, for North America the model for for 6MT is DB0D0M. The 6MT WILL BE AVAILABLE AS THE A91 EDITION or a standard 3.0 premium.

Available Colours;

0D01 - Absolute Zero
0D04 - Nocturnal
0D14 - Sparkling Copper Gray
0D05 Renaussance Red 2.0
0D13 - Portimao Blue
0D06 - Nitro Yellow
0D12 - Matte White A91 ONLY

2.0 only available in 0D01, 0D04, 0D05

A91 Edition Available in 0D12 or 0D14. It appears the A91 will be ONLY 6MT

The package "suffix" for the A91 Edition reads, "A91-MT Edition / Leather, Cognac Tan". So we can assume the interior will be Tan or have Tan accents.

4/18 - the model and package codes were removed from the portal. I guess we were not supposed to see...

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Smart. Thanks to the partnership with BMW and how they approach model year changes, Toyota has been able to do something to the Supra every year to keep it relevant and interesting. Incremental change is key!
Nissan did a very good job with the GT-R in this regard. Unfortunately Gohsn killed the GTR as he did the FX.

Reactions
Smart. Thanks to the partnership with BMW and how they approach model year changes, Toyota has been able to do something to the Supra every year to keep it relevant and interesting. Incremental change is key!

Even better things to come soon. ;D

Toyota is on fire right now.