5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

Razor

Fan
Reactions

Liberty Times Auto Channel2021-10-28 18:44:01

Lexus new generation RX will get the latest four-wheel drive technology! Japanese media said it completely abandoned V6 power

With the release of Lexus NX's major facelift, RX is also preparing to welcome a new generation of models, built on a new generation platform, and the appearance and interior will be fully updated. Japanese media have recently grasped the latest power information. The new generation RX will have 4 powers. The specifications are RX350, RX350h, RX450h+ and RX500h.

6700bd70-37db-11ec-bf9f-081cad009bcd

Japanese media said that the new generation of Lexus RX will debut in October next year, and released the latest appearance expectations.
According to the news of the Japanese media, the big facelift RX will completely cancel the V6 engine and switch to four-cylinder power. The specific configuration is similar to the new generation NX. The RX350 is equipped with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder turbo; the RX350h is a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine plus On the electric motor; RX450h+ uses a 2.5-liter engine plus an electric motor and a lithium battery to form a PHEV plug-in hybrid system.

In addition, the biggest difference between the new generation RX and NX is the 500h model. The RX500h is equipped with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder turbo engine plus an electric motor, and is equipped with a new Direct4 four-wheel control technology. The system can be adjusted in different operating environments. For front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive or four-wheel drive mode.

The new generation of Lexus RX will be equipped with the GA-L platform in the Group’s latest TNGA, with a body size of 4,895x1,900x1,710mm and a wheelbase of 2,800mm. Compared with the current version, the length, width and wheelbase will increase. Will bring more excellent riding space.

674392d0-37db-11ec-bddf-4834ffb3add2

The new generation Lexus RX will appear in 2.4-liter turbo and electric motor models, and will be equipped with a new Direct4 new four-wheel control technology.
In terms of appearance, the appearance image released by the Japanese media is different from the previous more exaggerated shape, it looks like an enlarged version of the new generation NX, with a larger area of the water tank cover, with sharp headlights, and the side of the car. The lines are more complex, but create a more muscular silhouette.

Source

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
As RX is most successful Lexus in terms of sales. Why not just offer EV version?

Makes too much sense is the answer. They'll probably offer an all-electric RX in 2040 to much internal fanfare.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
The new generation of Lexus RX will be equipped with the GA-L platform in the Group’s latest TNGA, with a body size of 4,895x1,900x1,710mm and a wheelbase of 2,800mm. Compared with the current version, the length, width and wheelbase will increase. Will bring more excellent riding space.

Source
"GA-L platform"? Did something get lost in translation or is this an "honest" mistake -- RX is larger than NX, which is on the GA-K platform, so RX platform must be next in line (K -> L)?

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
As RX is most successful Lexus in terms of sales. Why not just offer EV version?

Makes too much sense is the answer. They'll probably offer an all-electric RX in 2040 to much internal fanfare.

The RZ is coming.

the 500h is going to push the RX into a higher price bracket

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Lithium is already heavily supply constrained. Which is why pretty much every automaker that's introduced a BEV has done it as a new boutique model, including the Germans. At some point the many issues with Li-Ion will be solved one way or another (I'm hoping for the Mr. Fusion) and doing BEVs at RX volumes will be practical, but today is not that day.

Reactions: RAL

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

There won't be a two-row RX EV. That is the RZ. There is one full-size 7-seater EV above the BZ4X. We just don't know if it will be in Lexus form.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
"GA-L platform"? Did something get lost in translation or is this an "honest" mistake -- RX is larger than NX, which is on the GA-K platform, so RX platform must be next in line (K -> L)?

It is GA-K.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
We already have 500h (NA V6 hybrid) producing similar figure. It's going to be a nice improvement from past RXs but nothing to write home about considering its weight.

I do not know. What is "better", LS 600h (NAV8 HY) or hypothetical LS 650h (TTV6 HY)?

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I dislike tiny 4 cylinder engines being the replacement for displacement since Volvo introduced their T5/t6 systems. Yes the power is there, but I can still hear the 4 cylinder. Lexus probably will use a blend of noise cancellation, greater use of NVH, and powertrain programming.

The RX and TX (RX-L nomenclature does it seem like it will be retired) will follow the same formula the 2nd gen NX product planners have outlined for us:

RX and TX will have variants that starter/lease special with less power then the current standard to appease buyers on price
Performance buyers will be ushered into the limited prime.
Every one in between will decide on lifestyle choice to chose the 350h/350.
And I assume like the NX, the RX will have some of their powertrains improve the raw performance outputs but they will not translate as a dramatic shift in performance. Currently the RX lineup does 7.7-8.1 I assume, the lower trims are pegged at 8.5 while the midtier stick at 7.7 and the prime probably sticks a solid 7.

The RX is probably one of the most important products Lexus makes. They need everything to maintain their dominance, by catering to what makes them #1. Dont change anything is probably plastered on every square memo of this product planning team.

Razor

Fan
Reactions
I dislike tiny 4 cylinder engines being the replacement for displacement since Volvo introduced their T5/t6 systems. Yes the power is there, but I can still hear the 4 cylinder. Lexus probably will use a blend of noise cancellation, greater use of NVH, and powertrain programming.

The RX and TX (RX-L nomenclature does it seem like it will be retired) will follow the same formula the 2nd gen NX product planners have outlined for us:

RX and TX will have variants that starter/lease special with less power then the current standard to appease buyers on price
Performance buyers will be ushered into the limited prime.
Every one in between will decide on lifestyle choice to chose the 350h/350.
And I assume like the NX, the RX will have some of their powertrains improve the raw performance outputs but they will not translate as a dramatic shift in performance. Currently the RX lineup does 7.7-8.1 I assume, the lower trims are pegged at 8.5 while the midtier stick at 7.7 and the prime probably sticks a solid 7.

The RX is probably one of the most important products Lexus makes. They need everything to maintain their dominance, by catering to what makes them #1. Dont change anything is probably plastered on every square memo of this product planning team.
Except for the powertrain. :(

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Except for the powertrain. :(
I hear ya on that one lol

Side note:
If you have been an RX faithful I doubt you'd be able to tell. I liken it to how there is a vocal minority who have never owned an highlander hybrid before who sit in the current gen and complain about the lackluster powertrain on hilly terrain/high demand situations, but the majority of current owners who were in a highlander hybrid have still purchased a new one without much thought. And lets not forget that the amount of competition and caliber of that segment has grown in epic proportions (*cough cough* palluride).

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I have not had a chance to review the thread, but was the prototype next to the ES prototype in the Direct4 launch video the TX?

Plus since the ES and RX/TX share the same platform, makes sense to have concurrent development prototypes and programs?

Last edited:

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
I have not had a chance to review the thread, but was the prototype next to the ES prototype in the Direct4 launch video the TX?

Plus since the ES and RX/TX share the same platform, makes sense to have concurrent development prototypes and programs?

A bev test model based on Highlander…