3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Sofyan usually doesn't have much good to say about Toyota/Lexus, so the new Tundra must be an absolute killer 🤣

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I didn't realize the SR model had a different tune than the others: 348hp and 405lb-ft of torque. What is that about?

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
I didn't realize the SR model had a different tune than the others: 348hp and 405lb-ft of torque. What is that about?
Not sure, other than trying to create a lower entry point. Toyota is lacking engine options compared to the Big 3. Chevy even has that 4 cyl. engine---not that I'd want it, but it's there.

On the bright side, that tune fits well as a Tacoma/4Runner TRD Pro engine. Would say GX as well, but 550 should be a more aggressive tune than that

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Not sure, other than trying to create a lower entry point. Toyota is lacking engine options compared to the Big 3. Chevy even has that 4 cyl. engine---not that I'd want it, but it's there.

On the bright side, that tune fits well as a Tacoma/4Runner TRD Pro engine. Would say GX as well, but 550 should be a more aggressive tune than that

That was my thought as well. I bet that is the "550" tune that the GX gets.

But... I just don't understand what's different or why? SR trim is a pretty small % of sales for an entirely different tune of the engine.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

:love:

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Tundra reviews seem to be on point, but that marketing event seems to be drawing alot of ire from viewers about the TFL Tow test. Seems as the marketing team "magically" left off the trailer weights stickers off the trailers on the old vs new 0-60 (new engine doing about 1 and some change better then the v8).

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I like Toyota's approach with the Tundra - it's indicative of some of our frustrations with Lexus, but works better at the mainstream Toyota level: "We're not necessarily chasing specs, but improving the product holistically and delivering what our current customers want most." Pretty similar with the new NX.

It might not have class leading power, payload or towing, but I don't know a single half-ton truck owner who seeks to max those things out in a way that really impacts their buying decision. Most people who are concerned about the towing difference between 12K lbs and 14K lbs move up to a 2500 or 3500 class anyway. I'm not saying there isn't utility in higher specs for trucks - there certainly is - but I think Toyota has smartly figured out those things are considered as part of an overall package and not in a vacuum.

If Tacoma, Tundra, 4Runner, Sequoia and GX sales are any indication, it shows that people who buy Toyota/Lexus BOF products aren't really spec-obsessed at all but value overall packaging, reliability and dependability.

Tundra hybrid with 437hp and ~24MPG is blowing my mind. How can you want more than that?

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
So far I am astonished with how much good reviews

Now we need to wait for a Year and see the sold numbers

Motor

Expert
Reactions

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The new Tundra Hybrid 4x4 in TRD Pro trim, may well be the most technologically dense vehicle that Toyota has ever sold in the United States. More complex than even the amazing Lexus LF-A supercar or any of the forklifts. More complex, it seems likely, than any other pickup. And that includes the Rivian R1T or any other all-electric truck. This thing is packing.

Mags love new Tundra, R&T calls it more advanced than Rivian.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I don't know if Toyota USA mentioned this: the Hino Dutro hybrid has been around since 2011, so Toyota already has 10 years of experience with hybrid medium duty trucks. It's proven technology. This should answer a lot of the concerns with reliability and it would be a missed opportunity to not market this information.

I noticed the brake system seem very underpowered. Only 355mm 2-piston front and 345mm 1-piston rear? The Land Cruisers (even the almost 4-decade old J70) have 4-piston front/2-piston rear with lower GVM. This is something I noticed in a lot of American full-size pickup trucks: they have tiny brakes compared to their massive size.

Another thing I agree with a lot of the reviews is the lackluster 400W power outlet. The Sienna hybrid has a 1.5kW outlet and F-150 PowerBoost has 7.2kW. There's little reason for them to cheap out on that thing.

That was my thought as well. I bet that is the "550" tune that the GX gets.

But... I just don't understand what's different or why? SR trim is a pretty small % of sales for an entirely different tune of the engine.
The 2WD drivetrain cannot handle the full torque? 650N.m is a lot for a RWD vehicle. 405lb.ft is exactly 550N.m so it makes sense for GX"550".

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
re:eek:utlet, I bet they did market research and nobody was using it... then they will add it for next year, or year later, as all of their hybrids in Japan (almost) have it anyway.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
@ssun30 and @spwolf re: the power outlet.

I do think they read the market, but isn't this standard operating protocol for Toyota, where every single year they update and upgrade their offerings (source: Automotive press youtube)?

Just look at the 2020 GX460 refresh.

MY20- New face, standard safety kit optional previously, new instrument cluster but no power folding mirrors, or Carplay/AA
MY21- Power Mirrors with auto dimming mirrors on driver side only from Oct 2020 Production. Premium Plus package
MY22- Carplay/AA new trim levels. Black line edition
MY23- ? possibly dual auto dimming mirrors, and Anniversary Edition?

Reactions
I'm cross-shopping the new 2022 Tundra and used GX460s. Well as much as I can until prices are announced for the Tundra.

Do you think the new Tundra will be able to compare to the GX460 in terms of quiet cabin and smooth ride? Im thinking I may need to upgrade to Platinum to get the softer ride option.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
A used GX is probably going to fair worse then a new gen TGNA-F tundra just due to wear and tear. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if the the new TGNA-F tundra would be within spitting distance of a new GX460 MY22 if not slightly better.

For comparo sake from alex on autos
MY20 GX is around 72 decibels
MY20 highlander (which you would expect to score higher since econobox) 70.5

There are specifics issues that I'd like to point out.

1) MY20 GX luxury tested version have switched to dunlops...which are noticeably louder then the bridgestone or michelins GX have traditionally come with. Point being is tires make a huge difference.
2) Decibel ratings are only one component of NVH. The types of road surfaces you frequent could easily switch the equation.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I have a GX luxury (19” wheels on Dunlop grand treks) and it is really incredibly quiet. I had a GX premium for a week while my car was at the dealer and the luxury is slightly quieter and smoother IMO.

With that said, I’d expect the new Tundra to be a better starting point based on manufacturing and construction advancements made over 20 years, though I doubt the material quality and sound deadening are as solid on what is still a mainstream work truck vs luxury product.

I bet they are quite even at the end of the day. It’s hard for me to imagine much quieter than a GX.