3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
And also if you're reading spec sheets without realizing how insane of an engine the V35A-FTS is, then I don't know what to tell you. That engine performs way better than what the numbers say.

I just spent 9 days driving an LS 500 and I’m very concerned about what this engine is going to be like in the Tundra, LX, and anything else. For all of the press releases and claims, this powertrain leaves a hell of a lot to be desired in the real world - and I’m very sorry to say that. Press releases aren’t everything.

Reactions
I just spent 9 days driving an LS 500 and I’m very concerned about what this engine is going to be like in the Tundra, LX, and anything else. For all of the press releases and claims, this powertrain leaves a hell of a lot to be desired in the real world - and I’m very sorry to say that. Press releases aren’t everything.

You need to consider that Toyota and Lexus are capable of making changes from the V6 LS500 to the V6 in the Tundra. Look at when the two cars are released. There is a 5 year gap between the Tundra and the LS, and as for the latter, the V6 is tuned with a completely different intention (even for its 2021 refresh). Not so with the Tundra, especially when you look what someone who is shopping in the truck market demands in their new half-ton. Did you literally forget how insanely quick to respond the new Land Cruiser was? Why be pessimistic?

Aside from the obvious power and torque differences, Toyota tunes almost all of their cars in a different manner. So how do we know if Toyota doesn't do a better job in the Tundra? And in response do better for the LS as well subsequent to that? And even then IF these gripes still exist in the Tundra, something like turbo lag won't faze a truck buyer too much in comparison to a buyer of a luxury or a sports sedan.

Your 9 days of driving the LS500 could immediately be rendered null and void with a snap of a finger when driving the new Tundra as Toyota gets more experience with this engine in their portfolio, it could have reduced a lot of the gripes that we had with the V6 in the LS500.

And finally, we haven't even tried the twin-turbocharged V6 hybrid version. That could be the game changer for the Tundra, and for the LS500 as well as other Lexus and Toyota vehicles.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
You need to consider that Toyota and Lexus are capable of making changes from the V6 LS500 to the V6 in the Tundra. Look at when the two cars are released. There is a 5 year gap between the Tundra and the LS, and as for the latter, the V6 is tuned with a completely different intention (even for its 2021 refresh). Not so with the Tundra, especially when you look what someone who is shopping in the truck market demands in their new half-ton. Did you literally forget how insanely quick to respond the new Land Cruiser was? Why be pessimistic?

Aside from the obvious power and torque differences, Toyota tunes almost all of their cars in a different manner. So how do we know if Toyota doesn't do a better job in the Tundra? And in response do better for the LS as well subsequent to that? And even then IF these gripes still exist in the Tundra, something like turbo lag won't faze a truck buyer too much in comparison to a buyer of a luxury or a sports sedan.

Your 9 days of driving the LS500 could immediately be rendered null and void with a snap of a finger when driving the new Tundra as Toyota gets more experience with this engine in their portfolio, it could have reduced a lot of the gripes that we had with the V6 in the LS500.

And finally, we haven't even tried the twin-turbocharged V6 hybrid version. That could be the game changer for the Tundra, and for the LS500 as well as other Lexus and Toyota vehicles.

All of that could be true, and for the sake of the Tundra and LX, I hope it is. However, your claim of "That engine performs way better than the numbers say," proves you have not spent much time with the powertrain yourself, and any claims of how it performs would be based on the LS 500 or watching YouTube videos of Land Cruisers. The 2021 LS is smooth at low speeds, quick at the top end, and an absolute mess in between. The "in between" is where most people drive.

There's a lot of potential in the V35A-FTS on paper, for sure. I hope Toyota has taken their learnings from the LS 500 and improved the overall formula for the Tundra... and certainly for the LX.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
As an overall package, this new Tundra is very impressive and it seems like Toyota threw just about everything at it. Interior is so nice and the red leather is really lux. Screen, design, features and layout are all very premium but still user-focused IMO.

I saw the truck in person in Plano, and it was great looking. It’s very much a Tundra… nothing else. I think those saying “it looks like a Sierra or Silverado” will realize they are wrong once they see it in person. 1st gen Tundra to 2nd gen was a radical change, but the 3rd gen carries over the Tundra heritage in a more evolutionary way.

I’m curious to learn:
1) how much bigger/smaller it is
2) how much it weighs (~450lb weight loss like the Land Cruiser would be great)
3) MPG

I was wondering if Toyota would make the TRD PRO hybrid-only considering Chevy, Ford and Dodge are in a war with high powered off-road trucks. Tundra TRD PRO hybrid is a different approach which I think was the best thing for them to do.

Based on pics, the TRD Off-Road is my favorite trim so far. Nice blend of attributes.

Reactions
All of that could be true, and for the sake of the Tundra and LX, I hope it is. However, your claim of "That engine performs way better than the numbers say," proves you have not spent much time with the powertrain yourself......

I mean, I've had an experience in a LS. Not as long as you have but it was enough for me to make a judgement of that car.

......and any claims of how it performs would be based on the LS 500 or watching YouTube videos of Land Cruisers

Yikes. Way to go with the pejoratives LOL. I'm also a bit puzzled that you don't see the irony of what you just said. You're basing on how the Tundra would perform from your experience with the LS but I'm the guy making claims from watching YouTube videos... uh huh...

The 2021 LS is smooth at low speeds, quick at the top end, and an absolute mess in between. The "in between" is where most people drive.

Sure. My point is that it could be completely different in the Tundra, and heck, we haven't even tried the hybrid version either.

There's a lot of potential in the V35A-FTS on paper, for sure. I hope Toyota has taken their learnings from the LS 500 and improved the overall formula for the Tundra... and certainly for the LX.

Agreed.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly, I just checked it with the new LCj300 in KSA and I feel it's not missing anything

I didn't drove the LS yet so I don't know, but it's amazing in the LCj300 with tons of torque from first touch

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Until LX launch Tundra will have the most advanced interior in the entire TMC group. No Lexus flagship could match the amount of tech in this truck. Mechanically the LC300 is still superior but that's always the case in their truck hierarchy.

That leaves me wondering just how fabulous LX will be when they combine this much feature and tech with L-level build quality.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I was wondering if Toyota would make the TRD PRO hybrid-only considering Chevy, Ford and Dodge are in a war with high powered off-road trucks. Tundra TRD PRO hybrid is a different approach which I think was the best thing for them to do.
The extreme high power ICE truck war is pointless when 1000+hp EV trucks are coming very soon and they know that. Their priority now should be Tundra EV.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Interior looks very luxurious!

No E-KDSS, tank-turn or front/center locker are the bigger disappointment. Looks like Toyota wants to make sure Land Cruiser/LX remains the king of their trucks.
IDK, but the guys here can answer this question

As both LCj300 & Tundra on the same chassis
Can we find a 3 diff lockers fr. mid. re. As in the LCj300 in the Tundra ?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I am now interested in knowing how much more the hybrid weighs than non hybrid. First turbo hybrid from TMC. Yay!

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Regarding the HP numbers, don't underestimate the word-of-mouth value of being able to run on 87 octane. "I have to use the expensive gas" is a increasingly common complaint amongst non-enthusiasts.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Levi

Expert
Reactions
"go-anywhere, been-anywhere..."

haha, what does that mean? is it a jab at the other brands that "go-anywhere, remained there"?

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
"go-anywhere, been-anywhere..."

haha, what does that mean? is it a jab at the other brands that "go-anywhere, remained there"?

As they say:

"If you want to be able to go anywhere, buy a Jeep/Land Rover. If you want to be able to go anywhere and make it back, buy a Toyota."

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Until LX launch Tundra will have the most advanced interior in the entire TMC group. No Lexus flagship could match the amount of tech in this truck. Mechanically the LC300 is still superior but that's always the case in their truck hierarchy.

That leaves me wondering just how fabulous LX will be when they combine this much feature and tech with L-level build quality.

NX? But yes, Tundra interior is really nice, i like it.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
I’ve been absent from the forum for awhile now but since the trucks debut I have had a few thoughts about it and thought I would share. First off, I hated this truck when the unofficial leaks started happening. Then I hated it after Toyota showed us the white TRD Pro after the dealer leak. Said no way would I own that. But being a Toyota fan I had to watch all the debut videos and get the details. I will say, I’m liking it more now. The looks… well looks are subjective. I am not completely sold on the front end but I’m willing to give some of that up. I think the interior looks great. The powertrains and chassis changes and upgrades they have made makes it for me. As well as the fact that they didn’t go overboard with useless features and gadgets. I think this is a fresh look for a solid truck. Once pricing is released I will make my decision on whether or not I am ordering one.

Motor

Expert
Reactions