3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
quite the contrary i think. new LC will fit great 35" wheels. i am looking forward to arctic trucks modifications. they'll have done as soon as they get the new LC300, if they are not already working on it.

it is also beneficial for Toyota, showing modification potential will increase buyers interest/commitment.
Agree especially on the GR version of the J300, will be great with 35''

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
What is going on at Toyota North America with the new Tundra!? In my sincere opinion, this whole 'pre-reveal' process of the new Tundra has gotten really out of hand. To summarize, last year part of the new Tundra's exterior was leaked. No official news from Toyota occurred. Then a Super Bowl commercial here in North America was rumored for February 2021, and that never occurred either. Then a few months ago Toyota simply said the new Tundra is coming with no other information. Since then we've been getting slow drips of single pictures of parts of the new Tundra from Toyota with no other information. Toyota then had their New Product Showcase online a few weeks ago...and not a single word about the new Tundra. Then very recently, a private dealer preview of the new Tundra happened, and photos of that event leaked out from a Toyota dealership.

As a long-time Toyota observer, this is unprecedented in Toyota history in terms of product reveals as far as I can tell. I don't even mean the leaks, but the slow teases of single photos of the new Tundra without providing any release date or even full reveal date. I know there are some LE staff or members that talk to people at Toyota. Can someone here on LE, anyone, answer why Toyota hasn't provided a reveal date or release date for the new Tundra yet? The pandemic cannot be used as an excuse in my opinion. Even if the new Tundra is delayed, just give us a reveal date. It could be 3 months away or 6 months away, it doesn't matter, many people just want an actual reveal date. This slow drip of pictures with zero information feels disrespectful and almost shameful for Toyota to be doing this.

I myself don't condone leaks, but I'm not surprised the pics from the private dealer event leaked out publicly. Yes that dealership will probably get in trouble, and Toyota is mad about this, but what did Toyota expect? People are sick and tired of waiting for the new Tundra, and this extremely slow 'pre-reveal' process almost feels like torture at this point. So it's no surprise and no wonder that even a Toyota dealership got fed up and decided to leak private photos of the new Tundra to the public. Toyota typical protocol and tradition is when there is an official press announcement that a product is coming soon, that always is supposed to come with a full reveal date of the product. Toyota North America clearly is not following the protocol and tradition here.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It's understandable a lot of buyers are very frustrated by the lack of concrete information.
Toyota only promised a 'world beating' truck but by which standard and using what as reference? Without details it's just an empty promise. Nobody cares if the Tundra has a 'world beating washer fluid tank size' as an exaggerated example.
And the continuous uncertainty around powertrains. Current owners won't know how much more capable they are, and more importantly how reliable they are. Last time the Tundra launched with a carry-over engine that people can trust, this time It's going to be risky. The powertrain problems with the Tacoma remodel and Toyota USA's continued failure to rectify them has made people wary they could mess up again. It didn't help the LC300 was delayed by a year so nobody can have a first year evaluation.
So what happens is a lot of people don't know whether to buy now or wait. How good the new Tundra is will impact resale value of current generation a lot and nobody want to regret their decision/indecision because Toyota is holding back so much information.

Reactions: CIF

Will1991

Reactions
I would say we can assure for a while, HV trucks are coming:

image.png

And it should, in the next 4 years, expand to all trucks.
In my opinion, the LX/LC will be the last to have a electrified powertrain (xEV) so that Toyota has some years of real word reliability to smooth out any imperfection/problem due to this nameplate’s reliability history.

Even HV's sports cars have been announced (as much as TMC usually does, in a "hidden in plain sight" like this) for a while.

This is shown here (https://search.newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/all/search.x?q=2030&pagemax=20) on Toyota 6 challenges.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Let's not forget pandemic + chip shortage + supply chain issues + inventory shortages... there are a lot of business decisions to make before revealing an all new model. There could be a glut of Tundras sitting somewhere waiting for chips or seat foam that Toyota wants to clear out of inventory before releasing details on a new model. We just don't know.

But it's also important to separate spy shots, rumors and assumptions from official, public-facing statements. Publicly, Toyota has only been talking about a new Tundra for a very, very short time, and that is the best indication of how close or ready they are to release it.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Let's not forget pandemic + chip shortage + supply chain issues + inventory shortages... there are a lot of business decisions to make before revealing an all new model. There could be a glut of Tundras sitting somewhere waiting for chips or seat foam that Toyota wants to clear out of inventory before releasing details on a new model. We just don't know.

But it's also important to separate spy shots, rumors and assumptions from official, public-facing statements. Publicly, Toyota has only been talking about a new Tundra for a very, very short time, and that is the best indication of how close or ready they are to release it.

With respect, that doesn't really negate what I posted. Yes there could be a glut of current Tundras only partially produced like you described, but simultaneously what is also a fact is that the shortages have increased wait times for consumers and decreased supply for new vehicles. Demand for vehicles is stable if not increased, but the various shortages have decreased supply. So that aspect would balance out a glut in a way. Even if the shortages are affecting parts availability to produce the new Tundra, even if that is a potential reason here, I still disagree with how Toyota is handling things. I don't think that should make Toyota refuse to even give us a reveal date. I'm not talking about a release date or on-sale date.

I far prefer how Ford handled the new Bronco. They revealed it last summer, already in the midst of the pandemic. Then Ford some time after said that production would be noticeably delayed due to the chip shortage. The Bronco only started official production recently here. That's a long gap between reveal and production, but at least Ford got the reveal out of the way and gave some certainty to buyers with the reveal.

Given the fact that the various world shortages have decreased supply, demand is really not a problem right now and I would say that includes the current Tundra. So Toyota could easily give us a reveal date and just reveal it already, even if the release and on-sale date is a year away. So in other words, I don't see revealing the new Tundra affecting sales of the existing Tundra much, even if the production date for the new Tundra is still far away. I will also point out that Toyota has been less affected by the various world shortages than other automakers. This is due to the lessons Toyota has learned over the last 10 years due to various disasters and problems in Japan. This has been mentioned in industry articles over the last few months.

With all that said, regardless of the reasons why Toyota has kept quiet about the new Tundra so far, Toyota North America could have simply avoided this slow tease process of single photos of the new Tundra being released with no information. It would have been better for Toyota to show nothing until they're ready to give a reveal date. This is just a guess, but I wonder if Toyota arbitrarily delayed the new Tundra reveal until the LC300 was revealed. Also I'm aware that automotive media and brand ambassadors recently saw the new Tundra at the Plano facility. I listened to the most recent LXE podcast and I know you yourself Gecko saw the new Tundra recently at Plano. So Toyota is willing to show the new Tundra to various media and internet personalities and brand ambassadors, yet still refuses to give a public reveal date? I consider that very strange.

It's understandable a lot of buyers are very frustrated by the lack of concrete information.
Toyota only promised a 'world beating' truck but by which standard and using what as reference? Without details it's just an empty promise. Nobody cares if the Tundra has a 'world beating washer fluid tank size' as an exaggerated example.
And the continuous uncertainty around powertrains. Current owners won't know how much more capable they are, and more importantly how reliable they are. Last time the Tundra launched with a carry-over engine that people can trust, this time It's going to be risky. The powertrain problems with the Tacoma remodel and Toyota USA's continued failure to rectify them has made people wary they could mess up again. It didn't help the LC300 was delayed by a year so nobody can have a first year evaluation.
So what happens is a lot of people don't know whether to buy now or wait. How good the new Tundra is will impact resale value of current generation a lot and nobody want to regret their decision/indecision because Toyota is holding back so much information.

Some excellent points. Given the fact that over the last few months Toyota has publicly stated the new Tundra is a 'world beating' truck, that immediately creates very high expectational debt for buyers and consumers that Toyota has to meet. The longer Toyota waits to reveal the new Tundra, the more frustration that could lead to among buyers. The words 'world beating' are very strong and bold words that carry extremely high expectations.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Given the fact that over the last few months Toyota has publicly stated the new Tundra is a 'world beating' truck, that immediately creates very high expectational debt for buyers and consumers that Toyota has to meet. The longer Toyota waits to reveal the new Tundra, the more frustration that could lead to among buyers. The words 'world beating' are very strong and bold words that carry extremely high expectations.
I expect *every* automaker to say their new whatever is world-beating. GM announcing "The new Escalade is, honestly, kinda average. We pretty much phoned it in." would ascend immediately to Internet meme heaven but wouldn't go over well with dealers or customers. I don't think the majority of buyers are hanging on every copy/pasted marketing phrase, they're waiting to hear actual specs.

cookieyh

Fan
Reactions
What is going on at Toyota North America with the new Tundra!? In my sincere opinion, this whole 'pre-reveal' process of the new Tundra has gotten really out of hand. To summarize, last year part of the new Tundra's exterior was leaked. No official news from Toyota occurred. Then a Super Bowl commercial here in North America was rumored for February 2021, and that never occurred either. Then a few months ago Toyota simply said the new Tundra is coming with no other information. Since then we've been getting slow drips of single pictures of parts of the new Tundra from Toyota with no other information. Toyota then had their New Product Showcase online a few weeks ago...and not a single word about the new Tundra. Then very recently, a private dealer preview of the new Tundra happened, and photos of that event leaked out from a Toyota dealership.

As a long-time Toyota observer, this is unprecedented in Toyota history in terms of product reveals as far as I can tell. I don't even mean the leaks, but the slow teases of single photos of the new Tundra without providing any release date or even full reveal date. I know there are some LE staff or members that talk to people at Toyota. Can someone here on LE, anyone, answer why Toyota hasn't provided a reveal date or release date for the new Tundra yet? The pandemic cannot be used as an excuse in my opinion. Even if the new Tundra is delayed, just give us a reveal date. It could be 3 months away or 6 months away, it doesn't matter, many people just want an actual reveal date. This slow drip of pictures with zero information feels disrespectful and almost shameful for Toyota to be doing this.

I myself don't condone leaks, but I'm not surprised the pics from the private dealer event leaked out publicly. Yes that dealership will probably get in trouble, and Toyota is mad about this, but what did Toyota expect? People are sick and tired of waiting for the new Tundra, and this extremely slow 'pre-reveal' process almost feels like torture at this point. So it's no surprise and no wonder that even a Toyota dealership got fed up and decided to leak private photos of the new Tundra to the public. Toyota typical protocol and tradition is when there is an official press announcement that a product is coming soon, that always is supposed to come with a full reveal date of the product. Toyota North America clearly is not following the protocol and tradition here.
Couldn't agree more! Teasing is fine, but Toyota has over done it which makes it annoying and disrespectful.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Last edited: