Will1991

Reactions
From the European Lexus Newsroom we can read (https://newsroom.lexus.eu/world-premiere-of-lf-z-electrified--a-vision-of-a-new-era-for-lexus/ ) :

"By 2025, Lexus will introduce 20 new or upgraded models, including more than 10 battery electric (BEVs), plug-in hybrid electric (PHEVs) and self-charging hybrid electric (HEVs) to meet the needs of different countries and regions around the world. It will strengthen its core sedan and SUV ranges and also explore the possibility of introducing new vehicle types, such as sports models, cars appropriate for chauffeur driving and models in entirely new categories. Throughout, Lexus will rise to the challenge of delivering new premium values, while exceeding the diverse expectations of its customers worldwide.
Lexus intends to offer electrified versions of all its models by 2025, by when it also expects electrified vehicles to account for more than half its global sales."

• More than 10 are going to be eletrified (BEV/PHEV/HEV)
  • New "cars appropriate for chauffeur driving", am I reading here something like Bentley/Rolls Royce? The rumored Century based Lexus?
  • "models in entirely new categories" should be the RZ450e CrossOver Coupe
  • By 2025 every model will have a eletrified powertrain, LX Hybrid confirmation?

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
From the European Lexus Newsroom we can read (https://newsroom.lexus.eu/world-premiere-of-lf-z-electrified--a-vision-of-a-new-era-for-lexus/ ) :

"By 2025, Lexus will introduce 20 new or upgraded models, including more than 10 battery electric (BEVs), plug-in hybrid electric (PHEVs) and self-charging hybrid electric (HEVs) to meet the needs of different countries and regions around the world. It will strengthen its core sedan and SUV ranges and also explore the possibility of introducing new vehicle types, such as sports models, cars appropriate for chauffeur driving and models in entirely new categories. Throughout, Lexus will rise to the challenge of delivering new premium values, while exceeding the diverse expectations of its customers worldwide.
Lexus intends to offer electrified versions of all its models by 2025, by when it also expects electrified vehicles to account for more than half its global sales."

• More than 10 are going to be eletrified (BEV/PHEV/HEV)
  • New "cars appropriate for chauffeur driving", am I reading here something like Bentley/Rolls Royce? The rumored Century based Lexus?
  • "models in entirely new categories" should be the RZ450e CrossOver Coupe
  • By 2025 every model will have a eletrified powertrain, LX Hybrid confirmation?
Congratulations. You are now a mod here. :)

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
I just read European release that clarifies it wont be 20 BEV/PHEV/HEV models but rather just 10. You can't come to that conclusion easily by reading US release.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I just read European release that clarifies it wont be 20 BEV/PHEV/HEV models but rather just 10. You can't come to that conclusion easily by reading US release.

"more than 10"

that is plenty of models, just depends on how they count them all. IE, could be:
- NX350h, NX450h+
- LX600h
- UX300h, UX300e
- RX300h, RX450h
- LS600h
- ES300h, ES450h+
- RZ450e

So without them lifting a finger, it is already 11+ new or improved.

Will1991

Reactions
As we all know Lexus trademarked RX500h moniker, but since we keep hearing about a production LF it never made sense to me to build the next gen RX into a RWD platform as it could be a bit of an overlap between the two…

This being said, what’s this new 500h (possibly) FWD+”E-Four/E-Axle”?

Apparently, Toyota applied for a patent with selectively attachable hub motors and rotatable axles on the rear axle!

image.png

image.png

image.png

Maybe next-gen RX will be the first one to use this new tech?

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
This is a patent for a non-mechanical connection.

In this patent they’re electric hub motors, GR Yaris is a mechanical system.
Is this equivalent to RWS (rear-wheel steering) on Porsches and other higher-end vehicles? Owners claim it is one of the mandatory add-ons.

I didn't even realize the last Honda Prelude SH had rear wheel steering until a year or two ago.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Is this equivalent to RWS (rear-wheel steering) on Porsches and other higher-end vehicles? Owners claim it is one of the mandatory add-ons.

I didn't even realize the last Honda Prelude SH had rear wheel steering until a year or two ago.
Lexus LC has RWS. GS had too. The special thing is having it in combination with AWD. I hope LFZ get AWS. It will be very useful with the long wheelbase.

Will1991

Reactions

This patent is to provide power to the wheels, not steering. This enables, besides other things, torque vectoring with instant power modulation without any delay or adaptation time from the differential.

Although, if Lexus manages to apply RWS on a RWD car, I don’t see any technical issue to make it impossible to do.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Perfect. It's only Porsche that seems to offer PTV Plus on almost all AWD models and a bargain at $1700 CAD.

Hoping Toyota does offer TV by the time they release BEVs with SSBs. Even current Macan owners are wary when it's time to replace a BEV's battery. This was in a few threads on the upcoming Macan EV.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Perfect. It's only Porsche that seems to offer PTV Plus on almost all AWD models and a bargain at $1700 CAD.

Hoping Toyota does offer TV by the time they release BEVs with SSBs. Even current Macan owners are wary when it's time to replace a BEV's battery. This was in a few threads on the upcoming Macan EV.
if I am not mistaken, the first AWD car with AWS was the Ferrari GTC4. Then the 991 Turbo. Now it is the thing.

I have many years been saying how useful it is, car manufacturers are late.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
if I am not mistaken, the first AWD car with AWS was the Ferrari GTC4. Then the 991 Turbo. Now it is the thing.

I have many years been saying how useful it is, car manufacturers are late.

I think between AWS and electric torque vectoring, the latter will be relatively maintenance-free especially on electric cars haha but yeah, Taycan owners swear about the RWS feature they opted for.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Most will throw their Porsche away for parts /scrap value and get another one, hopefully better than Li-ion.

Even Toyota doesn't provide any after warranty battery refurbishment support so caveat emptor for BEV buyers who hold on to their cars for a long time, like me.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Most will throw their Porsche away for parts /scrap value and get another one, hopefully better than Li-ion.

Even Toyota doesn't provide any after warranty battery refurbishment support so caveat emptor for BEV buyers who hold on to their cars for a long time, like me.

Do you mean for their UX300e?

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Do you mean for their UX300e?
Even PHEVs come to mind.

Manufacturers should announce and put a ceiling on battery refurbishment cost (since can't force them to stock up on new ones) or the smart cookies will defer BEV or PHEV purchases if a working battery is required to drive the car around.