5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Reactions
For me, it's because it' so insanely good looking in F-Sport trim, and I appreciate some of the risks Lexus took with design. The car has a lot more personality and character than any LS in recent memory... I respect that!

I think that's the reason why. I'm also a bit of a fan of the drivetrain too. However, a twin-turbocharged V8 would give this car so much personality in terms of dynamics though.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
I think that's the reason why. I'm also a bit of a fan of the drivetrain too. However, a twin-turbocharged V8 would give this car so much personality in terms of dynamics though.

The car would be too heavy for a V8. They need to shed at least 500 pounds if there is ever going to be a next gen LS.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions

Not sure if it's the AWD system to be blamed, but on the video it seems the body movement is too much and I don't recall that being on the RWD version (or maybe it's the facelift that softens the ride even more at a cost of some handling). Overall seems like a positive review, they just need to work on the techs and graphics and maybe the tack on screen should be designed better with touchscreen capability in mind for next gen multimedia.

supra93

Expert
Reactions

■ November "F model" debuts one after another! Lexus "IS F / LS F / LC F"

The first F model as an LS will appear. At the heart of it is a newly developed V8, 4L twin-turbo engine that accelerates the LS approaching 2500kg.

Then, "F" will finally appear in the flagship saloon "LS". The newly developed V8, 4L twin turbo is prepared for the body of the large "LS F". It is a radical sports unit that squeezes 670ps / 66.3kgm, and its rivals include the Mercedes-Benz "S63AMG" armed with a 612ps V8 and 4L twin turbo, and the BMW "M760Li" with a 609ps V12 and 6.6L twin turbo.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
2500kg is the problem! That's 300kg more than the already overweight LS500. It's like Land Cruiser heavy.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Issue is the S8 has the interior dimensions to back up some of it's weight I believe. Regardless, I think if the rumours of an LS-F are true, Lexus should have instead focused on a brand new 6LS first before introducing an LS F to address most of the issues with the current LS. Either way, an LS F will be very cool to see.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
The hardcopy newspaper's headline caught my eye. Going online, I noticed that the headline on the softcopy was different from the hardcopy.

Hardcopy headline: "Lexus's latest a pompous, fat and happy cruiser"
Softcopy headline: "Refinement at a very, very steep price"

I believe that the reviewer compared the LS 500 to the wrong vehicles. Instead of comparing it to the flagship Mercedes-Benz S-Class or BMW 7-Series, he is comparing it to the entry-level Lexus IS and ES.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
That's in large part how I feel about my 2018. In the right driving situations, it's fantastic beyond the sum of its parts.

Incidentally, the updated AWD system with the Torsen diff is undefeated so far against this year's many snowstorms. It's not a GX or LX, but it's noticeably more confident in slippery conditions than the 4LS.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Not a 2021 but Lexus loaned me a pretty loaded 2020 F-Sport. Took it to some really good backroads following a friend in a 2021 IS 350 F-Sport. Nearly two hours of driving. I was stunned at how good the Ls handled and the optional rear steer performance package made all the difference. I could not lose the rear it stuck even in the rain. The front if I went in to fast felt like it would undetsteer. Steering feel was pretty tight but obviously more detached since this is still a comfy big flagship. Throttle response was good at speed and when in the right gear. Obviously faster than the 460 F Sport I had. But it wasn’t good from take off which is documented.

I do think if I switched out wheels for a wider blueprint and threw some Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4S this car could be somethjng. Maybe the apexi throttle controller too.

And my goodness what an interior. It’s a throne, I forgot how good it is. As well built as anything.

Ironically, this car does shine when you push It. Most won’t test its limits. It’s really good and shocking for a LS.
8F623896-DD7D-40C3-9CD1-A7A53FD39412.jpeg

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Not a 2021 but Lexus loaned me a pretty loaded 2020 F-Sport. Took it to some really good backroads following a friend in a 2021 IS 350 F-Sport. Nearly two hours of driving. I was stunned at how good the Ls handled and the optional rear steer performance package made all the difference. I could not lose the rear it stuck even in the rain. The front if I went in to fast felt like it would undetsteer. Steering feel was pretty tight but obviously more detached since this is still a comfy big flagship. Throttle response was good at speed and when in the right gear. Obviously faster than the 460 F Sport I had. But it wasn’t good from take off which is documented.

I do think if I switched out wheels for a wider blueprint and threw some Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4S this car could be somethjng. Maybe the apexi throttle controller too.

And my goodness what an interior. It’s a throne, I forgot how good it is. As well built as anything.

Ironically, this car does shine when you push It. Most won’t test its limits. It’s really good and shocking for a LS.
View attachment 4668
Not only is the driver's seat a throne but the back seat was incredibly comfortable also, perhaps the most comfortable automotive back seat I have been in. I found it was higher off the floor than other cars, but comfortably so.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
I love original LS500 and it's such a shame you can't get F-Sport with interior colors and trims from Luxury package. Never understood the reasoning behind such decision, I get it it's streamlining the production line but at the same time you are shafting the potential customers because you giving them poor leather color choices and the most boring trim. There is a great disparity between Luxury package and F-Sport when it comes to interior decor combos.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I love original LS500 and it's such a shame you can't get F-Sport with interior colors and trims from Luxury package. Never understood the reasoning behind such decision, I get it it's streamlining the production line but at the same time you are shafting the potential customers because you giving them poor leather color choices and the most boring trim. There is a great disparity between Luxury package and F-Sport when it comes to interior decor combos.

I provided that feedback recently. F SPORT should have those options, we are talking a 100k car.