5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

Will1991

Reactions
@Gecko, overall I agree with you except 500h being a mild update on the 450h.

Power wise, ok, but MultiStage was a proper tecnichal revolution and a huge achievement.

The ICE wasn’t properly update to show a bigger transformation but still, huge diference between the two.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
@Gecko, overall I agree with you except 500h being a mild update on the 450h.

Power wise, ok, but MultiStage was a proper tecnichal revolution and a huge achievement.

The ICE wasn’t properly update to show a bigger transformation but still, huge diference between the two.

Very true - transmission is a big change. The engine was not.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
The integration of the tablet is honestly borderline unacceptable at this price, IMO, but I do like the new headlights more. The exterior is stunning (turn off the sound).

The replacement of the infotainment screen looks like a rush-job to me, which makes me believe that the moving of the screen closer to the driver was a last-minute effort. If the replacement of the screen was not originally planned for when work on the face-lift started soon after this model was first introduced back in 2017, the last minute change meant that there was no time left for a change to the dashboard before the introduction of the face-lift.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
infotainment sure, but interior? Nah.
Once you sit in LS, it is nice. LC is even nicer.
Better designed and better quality are two different things. Before facelift the LS interior was perfection. After facelift the elegance is completely destroyed.
Of course design wise the NX would benefit from better infotainment integration.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

I really like TheTopher's videos, find him very fair and want to note he is a Lexus fan as he owns a GX 460. His LS review was mixed: the 2021 car is smoother and the touch screen is an improvement, but overall it is still far behind the competition with regard to tech and features.

He mentioned it would be worth spending more money and getting an S class, or a G90 for the same.

Unfortunately, it does not seem like the transmission/throttle delay issue has been fixed with the 2021 refresh.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Better designed and better quality are two different things. Before facelift the LS interior was perfection. After facelift the elegance is completely destroyed.
Of course design wise the NX would benefit from better infotainment integration.

i dont understand - top mounted touchscreens are definitely more than a trend, 2020 LS and LC both look outdated.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Not gonna lie, even the Genesis is miles ahead in terms of graphic and implementation (although not the best IMO)
2021_genesis_gv80_det_hero_1029201_1600.jpg

Take a look at the Panamera or Continental GT's (3rd gen) interior...those touchscreens implementation are examples of how it's done right from the get go

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I don't want carmakers working on "graphics and implementation", I want them working on driving. Just make a screen that's blank until you hook up CarPlay/Android Auto instead of making Wal-Mart Knockoff Android like the Genesis picture above.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
I guess I'm one of very few that prefers the Lexus trackpad over touchscreen. Sure it could have been improved million times since it's made the debut and only Toyoda knows why they didn't do anything about it and I guess everyone of us here has some great input how to improve it. Oh well.

There is just so much on screen functionality in today's infotainment systems and that is the sole reason why everyone is reverting back to touchscreens. There is no way you can do all that with rotary unless you go few layers deep. But the question is not do you really need all that functionality cause sure you might find it useful, question is how not to slap all of it on the screen and make a mess out of the interface. There has to be a way to make these features a lot more intuitive without digging through menus or without having it all laid out on the screen.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
I don't want carmakers working on "graphics and implementation", I want them working on driving. Just make a screen that's blank until you hook up CarPlay/Android Auto instead of making Wal-Mart Knockoff Android like the Genesis picture above.

I completely agree. That was my exact comment on the new S-Class - Mercedes have spent hundreds of hours refining and developing all of their own MBUX UI when literally the first thing I'd want to do is plug in my phone for CarPlay's ability for satellite view live maps.

Literally give me a high-resolution state of the art display nicely implemented in the design and flawless CarPlay/Android Auto and I'm happy!

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I guess I'm one of very few that prefers the Lexus trackpad over touchscreen. Sure it could have been improved million times since it's made the debut and only Toyoda knows why they didn't do anything about it and I guess everyone of us here has some great input how to improve it. Oh well.

The touchpad is much, much better than the joystick that preceded it. I don't mind it except when entering addresses into the nav, and since I got the CarPlay upgrade on my LS500 I haven't done that once.