MKV Toyota Supra Master Thread

Reactions
I think they're more concerned that the Supra doesn't have a manuel.

I spoke to someone who would get constant information from Toyota and other insiders during the A90 Supra project. I actually asked him on a livestream what's happening with the manual Supra and he said something along the lines of they are heavily considering a manual Supra way more now than they were just six months ago.

This is a good sign since Toyota is getting what they want in terms of response to warrant a manual Supra, being that the car sold relatively well given the delivery difficulties in coastal ports and how late in the year (late-July 2019) the cars reached the dealerships and the constant outcry and request of a stick-shift from current Supra enthusiasts/customers and potential buyers. In my view, I believe that the chances of a manual Supra are getting higher and higher each day.

However Toyota's stubbornness is to my annoyance as they are forcing an outcry of response from the buyer base of this car and are expecting people to be on their knees as well as getting customers to buy the current car, though, with the ZF it's still a f*cking good car, I want one too. I just find it a bit annoying. Just build the damn thing in the first place.

Last edited:

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
The Supra screams for a stick shift, it is just that type of car. The ZF is great for a midsize sedan, SUV, etc... for a sports car? A stick shift is mandatory is a sports car! Please don't come after me with Ferrari's, Aston Martin, etc... that is a different thing all together. Is the Supra even selling? I haven't looked at numbers but the eye test in the SF Bay Area says no. I haven't seen a single one and you can see everything very easily in SF. Name a car or SUV and I have seen it... just not the Supra

Reactions
Toyota Says "Sorry, Not Sorry" to 2020 Supra Owners Miffed at ’21 HP Increase
Early adopters might not be thrilled that Toyota upped the Supra's power so soon.

Some 2020 Toyota Supra owners are probably upset. The much anticipated A90 Supra launched last year with a BMW inline-six engine making 335 hp and 365 lb-ft of torque—figures that, for the 2021 model year, have increased to 382 hp and 368 lb-ft. The additional 47 horses and 3 lb-ft might have some owners protesting, as the rise in power arrived just months after the Supra launched and with no warning. Toyota, however, is kind of looking the other way, saying it is happy to bring more boost and changes to its halo car.

In a media call with reporters, Jack Hollis, Toyota group vice president and general manager, said that his job is to continue to make vehicles better, and not only the Supra. He used the RAV4 Hybrid as a reference, saying that those customers could also get upset about the upcoming RAV4 Prime, the plug-in variant, which is also getting more power and an estimated 90 MPGe fuel economy. "Vehicles will get better in spaces that are important for them to advance," Hollis said, adding that performance in Supra is just as important as safety in other Toyota consumer cars.

Hollis also said that it would make him really happy if current customers return to buy a 2021 Supra, though we all know those cases are slim.

So far, Toyota has sold over 3,800 Supras since it arrived in dealers on July 2019. Hollis added he's very pleased with the demand of its sports car and hopes that the changes for the six-cylinder model and the arrival of the turbocharged four-cylinder Supra 2.0 model will continue to generate sales.

Although Toyota hasn't announced pricing for 2021 models, we know the Supra 2.0 will be cheaper than the six-cylinder Supra 3.0, and the lower price could also bring new customers who were considering buying a Supra but couldn't afford the 2020 model's $50,945 starting price. According to Toyota, the average transaction price for the 2020 Supra is between $56,000 and $57,000. The more powerful Toyota Supra 3.0, meanwhile, should be arriving in dealers by late June or early July, while the four-cylinder model will arrive in the fall.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
A90 is selling as well as a 2 door coupe could be for the most part. Now that the ADMs are long gone in the majority of markets it should be more reasonable.

Most of the initial hype train on these things were as a result of popular social media/journos needing projects to attract their fanbase. The C8 unfortunately has now become the new A90 for those folks.

Reactions
The Supra screams for a stick shift, it is just that type of car. The ZF is great for a midsize sedan, SUV, etc... for a sports car? A stick shift is mandatory is a sports car! Please don't come after me with Ferrari's, Aston Martin, etc... that is a different thing all together. Is the Supra even selling? I haven't looked at numbers but the eye test in the SF Bay Area says no. I haven't seen a single one and you can see everything very easily in SF. Name a car or SUV and I have seen it... just not the Supra

The Supra is definitely selling decently well. It even sold more than the 86 last year in the USA.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The Supra is definitely selling decently well. It even sold more than the 86 last year in the USA.

86 is 8 years old. Very successful car, that they are making a new one. How Supra sales look in 8 years? As BMW Z4 and 6 Series at the end of its life-cycle?

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I wish he would bother to talk to anyone involved with these vehicles before spouting off. Those "fake" vents are roughed in for aftermarket tuners to use them as necessary. At least that's the line i heard floated around.

Reactions
I wish he would bother to talk to anyone involved with these vehicles before spouting off. Those "fake" vents are roughed in for aftermarket tuners to use them as necessary. At least that's the line i heard floated around.
Doug wasn't the first to point them out

Reactions
Doug wasn't the first to point them out

Ew. Jalopnik. Automotive media cancer.

Reactions
For the record I'm in the middle millennial, depreciation appreciator category.

I do like the obscure kei car stuff they do.
I wonder if Jalopnik would claim they started Radwood. Would love to check out a show for sure. Always some good vehicles to see, especially even some older Toyotas.