5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The problem is treating the F program like it's another standard options package. They need to treat it like marketing.

TurboLag

Fan
Reactions
I don't personally know how much longer "F" will live on - it was born at a time when Lexus and the automotive industry were both very different. F started as a great idea and had lots of promise, but I think it's safe to say that has not been delivered upon. Losing the GS, the market switch to CUVs and a future that is probably based in FWD platforms make F seem like another project with good intentions and poor execution.

Of course, it could become something like Audi's "S" which is a tweener brand, but even then, we haven't seen any sort of hardware that will allow Toyota to bring FWD platforms to that level of performance.

LC/LS sales have been very low... even harder to justify F packaging. Plus, I have personally lost faith that the "twin turbo V8 with 625+hp" is ever going to come after 13 years of rumors.
The IS-F is probably coming back withe next year third face-lift

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Conflicts with No V8s on cars under $90k, unless they are going to make the IS500 a $90k car with a detuned V8 that's already not on par with competitors?

Who knows, maybe they want to give the current V8 one last hurrah, use it as a more "standard" engine (see LC 500 with the V8), and then transition to more BEVs.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
what are you even talking about anymore. You know about LC-F and LS-F and 600hp+ powertrain.

I dont get it.

blah

We have all heard about it for 13 years. Where is it?

We heard about 5GS too, then we know how that went.

13 years of rumors and I am seriously doubting that it will become viable at this point. Time to stop believing rumors and seeing reality, IMO.

I’m happy/hoping to be wrong.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The F-line won't live unless they have a solid plan to switch to electrified powertrains by 2023. I couldn't care less how many LS-F/LC-F they sell because I know they will be gigantic commercial failures from Day 1.

Electrification = democratization of power. 500hp is now the starting point for $40k vehicles in ChDM and I expect high power electrified powertrain to proliferate globally in the next two years. A 670hp ICEV has no place in 2022.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Lexus is by far the hybrid luxury leader so I am hoping if this rumor of a V-8 hybrid LS 600 is true, that is really is something special. I mean 0-60 in 4 seconds flat getting 30 MPG. Something showing technological advancement and superiority. That likely would require a new engine, not sure how much more magic they can get from the current 5.0.

Also will this be a performance hybrid or more in the vein of the current LS 500h past LS 600? I would really love to see a F-Sport version come to the USA and not just the base look.

I think only the Panamera Turbo S E hybrid couples a V-8 flagship sedan with hybrid power. I think the rest of the Germans mix their hybrids with a 6 or 4 cylinder.

The facelift is needed. The ES/LS look too similar up front and the LS styling might have went to far for most people. Its crazy to think arguably the most styled car in this class is a LS.

Conflicts with No V8s on cars under $90k, unless they are going to make the IS500 a $90k car with a detuned V8 that's already not on par with competitors?

Who knows, maybe they want to give the current V8 one last hurrah, use it as a more "standard" engine (see LC 500 with the V8), and then transition to more BEVs.
Whats crazy is a C63 S and M3 with options are 90-105k cars now. I just can't see Lexus having an IS cost that much. I am under the impression that F might be LS/LQ/LC/LX cars only going forward. That is my guess at this point.

Last edited:

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
Morning!! so what do we think this LS600 will be? 3.5TTV6 Hybrid of 5.0V8? if it is the 8 does anyone think it will be a new motor or the current offering but made better? How much HP will the 3.5TTV6 hybrid make?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Morning!! so what do we think this LS600 will be? 3.5TTV6 Hybrid of 5.0V8? if it is the 8 does anyone think it will be a new motor or the current offering but made better? How much HP will the 3.5TTV6 hybrid make?

This has all been discussed at length on the prior pages of this thread 😊

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@Gecko Thanks Sir... I went back and read so let me rephrase. What do you or anyone think what they will do? Whats is throwing me off is they aren't putting v8 in anything below 90k anymore. of course teh 2UR-FSE is in the century but that motor and transmission is old and i went back and reference a older thread about the up and coming motors and there is no mention of a new V8 other than outside of the TTV8 that is coming.

Thank you

Markus

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
@Gecko Thanks Sir... I went back and read so let me rephrase. What do you or anyone think what they will do? Whats is throwing me off is they aren't putting v8 in anything below 90k anymore. of course teh 2UR-FSE is in the century but that motor and transmission is old and i went back and reference a older thread about the up and coming motors and there is no mention of a new V8 other than outside of the TTV8 that is coming.

Thank you

Markus

Who has new V8 engines under 90K?

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
[QUOTE="Gecko, post: 54071, member:
BMW, Mercedes, Genesis, etc.
[/QUOTE]

Genesis has no new engines coming that are V8. Need to spend $85K to get an E class with a V8. $77K for a V8 C class...I have no idea if those engines are new....

mikeavelli

Reactions
If there is a v-8 hybrid coming and you can get it as an f sport I would be intrigued. If it’s another special order car not sure why. The kirko glass equipped LS isn’t moving and it’s special order only I believe now.

They also need some marketing behind it. I barley recall any marketing for the LS. Maybe I should try to help :)