5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So @spwolf, @ssun30, you are both saying that a turbocharged hybrid would be for truck use. I can understand that. But it would seem that the simpler P2 parallel hybrid (that the Germans use and that Ford is now also using) would a better fit for this type of use.
That's my opinion as well. I mentioned somewhere else on this forum that P2 is superior for power density and continuous output. This is why I still can't say with certainty what hybrid layout they will use for the upcoming hybrid trucks. After all they developed a P2 system for their Hino trucks.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
As usual, where are the American and European media on this tidbit? Nowhere to be found or copying Mag X/Lexus Enthusiast. My people this is what I mean. Trust the Japanese media and don't look back. You own a Japanese car, in most instances they'll know more in being closer to the center of power.

This is exactly what happened 4LS updates to the XF40 III in 2012. You got spy shots in March 2012, which NO ONE knew about and saw nada until May 2012. Ditto for more Lexus vehicles. They are always first, whether or not they publish them.

Anyway, I am off by a few months it seems. Not really good that launch was in January-Feb 2018 and a facelift is already here in less than 3 years, but it's definitely needed and welcome. The quickest Lexus refresh ever lol or does anyone remember a quicker facelift than this? (don't mention 1996 1GS lol)

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly guys

And I am owner of the GS-F

But

I test driven the latest LS F sport AWD and I feel it has the same nimble steering and nearly taking the corners same as the normal GS

So I feel it is more GS than LS

Maybe just Maybe

If they will sell this as GS-L and sell the Century as LS with the Crown being the normal GS it will work perfectly

Because honestly that's exactly what I am looking how things are done right now

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
A thought that crossed my mind this morning: Might the 4-cylinder powertrain for 5LS be a longitudinal application of the RAV4 Prime / upcoming Lexus NX 450h+ power plant? In other words, a plug-in hybrid version of the A25A-FXS 2.5-liter 4-cylinder naturally aspirated engine that (in the RAV4 Prime) produces 302 hp? Thus, an LS 450h+?

Airplane

Fan
Reactions
A thought that crossed my mind this morning: Might the 4-cylinder powertrain for 5LS be a longitudinal application of the RAV4 Prime / upcoming Lexus NX 450h+ power plant? In other words, a plug-in hybrid version of the A25A-FXS 2.5-liter 4-cylinder naturally aspirated engine that (in the RAV4 Prime) produces 302 hp? Thus, an LS 450h+?
NA 2.5l 4 cylinder PHEV with 300hp called LS450h+? Whattt? That’s a 200 name jump from what it would normally be called “LS250” a flagship with the exact same setup as a RAV4 is weird to say the least.

I don’t think they’ll have a 4 cylinder LS at all. a setup like that is most reasonable for China’s market, but it might as well be a pure BEV.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Doesn’t the LS350 already makes 310hp with its 3.5NAV6?

The current LS500h already uses 3.5l NAV6 hybrid, and it uses an outdated V6 that isn’t worth the name when the LS500 makes more power. So a new TTV6 hybrid will most likely still be called LS500h, while the non hybrid LS500 gets removed or gets downgraded to LS400, and the LS350 gets 2.4l turbo and downgraded to LS300.

Or LS500h and LS600h both get the same TTV6 hybrid but with different tuning, with 400hp and 500hp respectively.

If they do make a 500+hp LS, might as well use the 600 hp+ TTV8 4.0l PHEV that would be extremely powerful yet efficient, and call it LSF instead of LS700h which sounds weird as hell and isn’t justified when it’s barely more powerful than the LS500.
I think it’s time to make a real flagship performance sedan that also give Lexus an opportunity to show off their hybrid tech.

I'm not sure Lexus has anymore leeway to play with the badges once more. They learned their lesson with 200t to 300 and if they are reasonable people they will not repeat the same mistake again and for sure they will not downsize the badges. 500h will remain what it is today and 600h will be more expensive, more powerful option. If it ends up being V6TT Hybrid (most likely) I'm not sure how they are going to differentiate it from the version that will go into Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser or similar. Who knows maybe 600h will be V8TT hybrid after all.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

you have to remember that it will eventually (and fairly quickly) run out of that stored energy, so you are then left with maybe 240hp total... like a Highlander?

And that is not good enough for LS. It would be slower car than Camry Hybrid, when out of EV range.

Now 300hp turbo as a base engine and then 60-120hp from hybrid/+ version, that is something else of course, and that would work very well.

Airplane

Fan
Reactions
I'm not sure Lexus has anymore leeway to play with the badges once more. They learned their lesson with 200t to 300 and if they are reasonable people they will not repeat the same mistake again and for sure they will not downsize the badges. 500h will remain what it is today and 600h will be more expensive, more powerful option. If it ends up being V6TT Hybrid (most likely) I'm not sure how they are going to differentiate it from the version that will go into Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser or similar. Who knows maybe 600h will be V8TT hybrid after all.
LS400 or LS500: TTV6 with 450hp, the same setup as the current LS500 but updated power output or just keep the LS500 name.

LS500h: TTV6 HEV or PHEV with 500hp. It doesn’t even need to be more powerful than LS500, the hybrid would make it quicker.

LS600h: higher output TTV6 HEV or PHEV with 600+hp, maybe TTV8, but then it might as well be called LSF.

LSF: TTV8, non hybrid with 650hp, the same as LCF. It would be a performance and driver oriented car compared to a luxury oriented LS600h.

If 4 models are too much, then just remove LS600h and make the LSF TTV8 HEV or PHEV with 650-700hp.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
In a contracting passenger car market, I think we're realistically looking at fewer models vs. more, with different options for different markets. On the other hand, I think some new models need to be added to help sales, prestige and halo effect for the rest of the lineup. At least in the USA, not sure it's worth having both LS 500h and LS 600h - most people willing to pay for the 500h would just pay a little more to get to 600h.

"500h" is a good powertrain for middle of the lineup, like ES and RX. It is not a great fit for the LS. "600h" with 450hp/500lb-ft is right for flagship products IMO.

My ideal LS lineup would be something like (with all global markets considered):

LS 450h+: (maybe 2.4L turbo) 4 cylinder + PHEV with 350hp/390lb-ft (not for USA)
LS 450: TT V6 as-is, base price drops to ~$70k base USD
LS 600h: 3.5L TT V6 + next gen hybrid with 450hp/500lb-ft, from $85k USD
LS 600: TT V8 with 550hp, 580lb-ft, from $95k USD

While I would love to see an "LS F," I think "LS 600" with a slightly detuned version of the F V8 but with crazy luxury option packages makes more sense for the LS line.

Didn't we hear somewhere that LS FCV was dropped?

Airplane

Fan
Reactions
In a contracting passenger car market, I think we're realistically looking at fewer models vs. more, with different options for different markets. On the other hand, I think some new models need to be added to help sales, prestige and halo effect for the rest of the lineup. At least in the USA, not sure it's worth having both LS500h and LS 600h - most people willing to pay for the 500h would just pay a little more to get to 600h.

"500h" is a good powertrain for middle of the lineup, like ES and RX. It is not a great fit for the LS. "600h" with 450hp/500lb-ft is right for flagship products IMO.

My ideal LS lineup would be something like (with all global markets considered):

LS 450h+: (maybe 2.4L turbo) 4 cylinder + PHEV with 350hp/390lb-ft (not for USA)

While I would love to see an "LS F," I think "LS 600" with a slightly detuned version of the F V8 but with crazy luxury option packages makes more sense for the LS line.

Didn't we hear somewhere that LS FCV was dropped?
I find it weird if the only Lexus F vehicle be the LCF coming out in 2022. The RCF will most likely be killed by then, with no ISF and GSF.

Even if both GSF and RCF still exist by then, they would be 6 years old. Even if the LF1/LQ do come out in 2022, the F will probably come out who know? 5 years after? The same time it would take LCF to come out, and by that time, the LCF will probably be killed based on Lexus’s killing spree.

I think Lexus should crack the 500hp mark with their LS hybrid and another LS with over 600hp whether it’s called LSF or LS600. The hybrid would be the crazy luxury car similar to Maybach for S Class but without the longer wheel base.

Based on MagX, the TTV8 LS might as well be the LSF because how I understand it, the TTV8 is the for sure thing and the 600h is the speculation.
I really wish to see a LCF, LSF, and LQF? on the market at the same time, even if for just one generation.
If the LS FCV is dead, then I have high hope that a GS “successor” will become the Lexus FCV based on the Murai.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

That's pretty much on point. The 450h doesn't really need to be PHV though since current batteries will have difficulty propelling a car this heavy in pure-EV mode, unless they 'cheat' and only allow blended/EV-auto mode like the 7-series/S-class/A8L PHVs. Also makes it cheaper for ChDM. IMO the 2.4T LS is just an answer to the very popular 730Li in ChDM, and a future four-cylinder A8L as well. The S90L and CT6 also use 2.0T engines but these two aren't direct competitors to the LS.

I would really love to see a 'LS600e' with LF-30 battery (110kWh with 400kW/536hp) considering this technology is readily available in 2019.

Unlikely, the A25A-FXS is insufficient to propel this car. A slightly long gradient will drain the battery and the car is basically powerless at that point. It needs a bigger ICE.

Reactions
They've pulled back the headlights. I like it.
Full size photo:

EDIT: I am sort of getting... GS vibes. Look at the 3/4 profile of the headlight with the front bumper. Reminds me of the GS F. Also the headlight design is going the LS+ route a bit.

Actually based on the Google translate of the MagX article, there is one sentence that Krew did not translate :

" while direct 4 gasoline vehicles, which are not in the competition, will also be lined up for downsizing. It may be aimed to fill the position of the Lexus GS that disappears from the lineup this summer. "

Could it be that after cancelling the 5GS project and diverting it to the 2nd generation Mirai, Lexus is spreading out the development costs of the 4LS by introducing a Short Wheel Base ( and hence lighter and more nimble), 4 door Grand Coupe version of the LS and rebranding it as the re-imagined GS?????

Makes sense in terms of profit margins and getting the most bang for your buck out of the already sunk costs of 4LS R + D.

So SWB LS Grancoupe as :

Mainstream options:
GS300/350 (2.5LTT 4 cylinder turbo),
GS500h(3.5L multistage hybrid from LS500h/LC500h),
GS500(3.5LV6TT) and

F Variant:
GSF (5LV8TT, shared V8 with the upcoming LS600h which will use the NA V8 version).

Yuan

Fan
Reactions
I
That's pretty much on point. The 450h doesn't really need to be PHV though since current batteries will have difficulty propelling a car this heavy in pure-EV mode, unless they 'cheat' and only allow blended/EV-auto mode like the 7-series/S-class/A8L PHVs. Also makes it cheaper for ChDM. IMO the 2.4T LS is just an answer to the very popular 730Li in ChDM, and a future four-cylinder A8L as well. The S90L and CT6 also use 2.0T engines but these two aren't direct competitors to the LS.

I would really love to see a 'LS600e' with LF-30 battery (110kWh with 400kW/536hp) considering this technology is readily available in 2019.

Unlikely, the A25A-FXS is insufficient to propel this car. A slightly long gradient will drain the battery and the car is basically powerless at that point. It needs a bigger ICE.
I don’t think what’s needed or not matters for the LS, the LS should have the best technology TMC has, regardless if the application is needed or not. Or else Tesla never needed to constantly updating their BEV with faster 0-60c nor does Lexus needs to be reliable, nor if the LS could hold champagne glass on its hood while the engine is on.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
IS is not Lexus' entry level car. UX and NX are, probably 'CX' (Yaris Cross) if they decide to. IS can replace both IS and GS. LS was made with one wheel base only for that purpose. I hope they the facelift adds proper individual rear seats without the middle jumper seat.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I find it weird if the only Lexus F vehicle be the LCF coming out in 2022. The RCF will most likely be killed by then, with no ISF and GSF.

Even if both GSF and RCF still exist by then, they would be 6 years old. Even if the LF1/LQ do come out in 2022, the F will probably come out who know? 5 years after? The same time it would take LCF to come out, and by that time, the LCF will probably be killed based on Lexus’s killing spree.

I think Lexus should crack the 500hp mark with their LS hybrid and another LS with over 600hp whether it’s called LSF or LS600. The hybrid would be the crazy luxury car similar to Maybach for S Class but without the longer wheel base.

Based on MagX, the TTV8 LS might as well be the LSF because how I understand it, the TTV8 is the for sure thing and the 600h is the speculation.
I really wish to see a LCF, LSF, and LQF? on the market at the same time, even if for just one generation.
If the LS FCV is dead, then I have high hope that a GS “successor” will become the Lexus FCV based on the Murai.

I don't personally know how much longer "F" will live on - it was born at a time when Lexus and the automotive industry were both very different. F started as a great idea and had lots of promise, but I think it's safe to say that has not been delivered upon. Losing the GS, the market switch to CUVs and a future that is probably based in FWD platforms make F seem like another project with good intentions and poor execution.

Of course, it could become something like Audi's "S" which is a tweener brand, but even then, we haven't seen any sort of hardware that will allow Toyota to bring FWD platforms to that level of performance.

LC/LS sales have been very low... even harder to justify F packaging. Plus, I have personally lost faith that the "twin turbo V8 with 625+hp" is ever going to come after 13 years of rumors.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I don't personally know how much longer "F" will live on - it was born at a time when Lexus and the automotive industry were both very different. F started as a great idea and had lots of promise, but I think it's safe to say that has not been delivered upon. Losing the GS, the market switch to CUVs and a future that is probably based in FWD platforms make F seem like another project with good intentions and poor execution.

I'd settle for F being as good as GR is looking on the Toyota side, although obviously F would be lower volume which is exactly the problem.