Levi

Expert
Reactions
i dont see why not... they keep investing into CT, they wouldnt if they didnt expect it to continue... IMHO, it is important vehicle for them.

The UX did not replace the CT as both are are sold in Europe. CT starts roughly 10K Euro less than UX (in general). But the CT is now one the Lexus' eldest vehicles (soon 10 years), GX and LX are not sold in Europe but depend on their Toyota counterpart. The CT counterpart was long replaced.

If there are no new releases in 2020 because of the pandemic/crisis, should the situation get back to 'normal', 2021 will have to see way too many releases with IS, NX and CT.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The UX did not replace the CT as both are are sold in Europe. CT starts roughly 10K Euro less than UX (in general). But the CT is now one the Lexus' eldest vehicles (soon 10 years), GX and LX are not sold in Europe but depend on their Toyota counterpart. The CT counterpart was long replaced.

If there are no new releases in 2020 because of the pandemic/crisis, should the situation get back to 'normal', 2021 will have to see way too many releases with IS, NX and CT.

we didnt see rumors about CT being renewed yet, so I dont think it would be covid-19 that delays it. Also keep in mind that unless they announce vehicle in next 6-8 months, they will not actually start sales in 2021 :).

Levi

Expert
Reactions
i dont see why not... they keep investing into CT, they wouldnt if they didnt expect it to continue... IMHO, it is important vehicle for them.

In recent new, Renault is thinking of killing the Mégane. That is a move like Ford (killing sedans) but applied in Europe. If more of this to come? Customer do tend (my speculation) to chose a CUV over it's low riding counterpart (hatchback/sedan), and if the price jumpe is too much take the next lower priced CUV.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
In recent new, Renault is thinking of killing the Mégane. That is a move like Ford (killing sedans) but applied in Europe. If more of this to come? Customer do tend (my speculation) to chose a CUV over it's low riding counterpart (hatchback/sedan), and if the price jumpe is too much take the next lower priced CUV.

Problem with Megane is that it sells as bottom price model, and that might not be sustainable. Same goes for Hyundai/Kia hatches, Ford, Opel, etc...

In Lexus land, now UX costs the same as IS, while it is probably at least 30% cheaper to produce. That is why decisions like GS axing have to be done, and in the end, customers are voting with their valet.

So if customers are not buying GS, but are buying NX, then they are obviously voting for NX and disvoting the GS.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Just ran that through Google Translate. It suggests that the smaller-than-UX Lexus crossover will be a TNGA-B counterpart to the just-released Yaris Cross badged BX expected to be released in 2023.

The BX badge was last used by Citroën between 1982 and 1994.
Something is weird here. The Chinese report said 'according to foreign media sources' without actually citing the source (which is pretty common here). And when I search for 'foreign media sources' on this rumor, they reference back to this report. So where on earth is the original source?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Something is weird here. The Chinese report said 'according to foreign media sources' without actually citing the source (which is pretty common here). And when I search for 'foreign media sources' on this rumor, they reference back to this report. So where on earth is the original source?

LE?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Seems like everyone's going in circles here. Lexus BX searches only turn up stories from India, Russia and elsewhere all citing the Autohome China story as their source.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

i think something about BX was there 2-3 years ago :)

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Is the BX going to be a two door crossover? The UX is small enough imho, and is more of a hatchback. If something smaller comes out yikes

Reactions: Den

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
just check Yaris Cross.

You can actually have one size smaller than Yaris Cross - check Suzuki Ignis. So UX is almost midsized.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Is the BX going to be a two door crossover? The UX is small enough imho, and is more of a hatchback. If something smaller comes out yikes

Toyota CH-R concept 1 was a two door car, concept 2 was a 4 door car, production CH-R is available with 4 doors only. Every hatch on sale today has gotten rid of the 2 door version, but when I say every, really every (even the newest Golf 8 and the Renault RS models which will be no more). Now the GR Yaris is the last time for such a thing to happen, in fact it does not even count as last time, it is amazingly impossible.

BX will be 4 doors, as the Yaris.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
just check Yaris Cross.

You can actually have one size smaller than Yaris Cross - check Suzuki Ignis. So UX is almost midsized.

For sure, but I assume the BX is meant for specific territories where the sizing is key. Selling this in say a "big gulp" nation is going to be tough?

For instance India comes to mind, where the smaller vehicles are preferred over even a corolla

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
B5028DFD-CB51-43A8-9141-FF5ACCD48E5C.jpeg

Autohome in China is reporting that Lexus will release a compact crossover based on the freshly announced Toyota Yaris Cross, giving it the BX nameplate.
Google Translate is imperfect, but it appears this smaller-than-UX crossover could be released in 2023. It’s likely this model would only be offered in China and Europe, as the market for this type of vehicle in North America is minor.

(There is some confusion as to the source of this information — Autohome cites “foreign media sources”, but the only other...

Continue reading...