Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
No way that long ago already?

Haven't heard a thing... and its sorely needed in the lineup

Debuted in Jan 2018, which on one hand seems crazy because we've all been talking about it fairly consistently since then... On the other, it's hard to believe because that feels like so long ago - and in automotive terms, it really is.

No leaks, no mules, no spy photos. If it was going to arrive for 2021MY, I feel like we would see something soon, if not already.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Debuted in Jan 2018, which on one hand seems crazy because we've all been talking about it fairly consistently since then... On the other, it's hard to believe because that feels like so long ago - and in automotive terms, it really is.

No leaks, no mules, no spy photos. If it was going to arrive for 2021MY, I feel like we would see something soon, if not already.
It is concerning to me. In fact, we have not seen ANY prototypes or mules for Lexus models testing in all of 2019 nor 2020 so far, for winter testing. That's odd, almost 15 months since the last calendar year with any of inkling of future product. Only one SWB FCV mule with LS front and rear and autonomous LS mule, no actual new products.

Usually they're not so particular about hiding any form of testing so it doesn't really make sense why they want to now.

The only prototype that comes to mind being caught testing and in spy shots is the delayed LC-F in mule form, TWO YEARS AGO this summer.

No NX, no LX, no IS prototypes running around.

Last edited:

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
In this time Audi launched a Q8, SQ8 is otw and RSQ8 comes late this year.

It’s not rocket science. That segment is exploding.
I think he meant that we've spent 2+ years talking and fantasizing about the LF-1, but the LF-30 concept thread barely broke 2 pages when it was launched, if I recall correctly.

I think that’s only natural when Lexus say something that just shoots the concept in the skull like ‘this is our vision for Lexus in 2030’. Cool story guys, will you even be around in 10 years with this level of poor product turnaround and launches? Where is the cool new LC inspired hatchback for 2020!!?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I think that’s only natural when Lexus say something that just shoots the concept in the skull like ‘this is our vision for Lexus in 2030’. Cool story guys, will you even be around in 10 years with this level of poor product turnaround and launches? Where is the cool new LC inspired hatchback for 2020!!?

while it would be nice for them to have had product blitz earlier, i feel like i need to repeat that they never sold as many cars as in 2019, and that TMC was also at record sales/profitability. So yes, they will be around in 10 years.

However as Lexus is expanding their lineup, so are other manufacturers, so there will always be some kind of catch-up in that sense.

They do have UX, NX, RX, GX, LX, CT, IS, RC, ES, GS, LS, LC and LY. That is 12 vehicle lineup right now.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
while it would be nice for them to have had product blitz earlier, i feel like i need to repeat that they never sold as many cars as in 2019, and that TMC was also at record sales/profitability. So yes, they will be around in 10 years.

However as Lexus is expanding their lineup, so are other manufacturers, so there will always be some kind of catch-up in that sense.

They do have UX, NX, RX, GX, LX, CT, IS, RC, ES, GS, LS, LC and LY. That is 12 vehicle lineup right now.
I don’t think the problem is necessarily with amount of vehicles in Lineup it is just the age of them without a true refresh. Don’t get me wrong we need the LF1 immediately but the lineup is for they just need to update them.

It is amazing and sad how quickly the Q8 and high performance Q8 models came out and we don’t have something in that segment...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I don’t think the problem is necessarily with amount of vehicles in Lineup it is just the age of them without a true refresh. Don’t get me wrong we need the LF1 immediately but the lineup is for they just need to update them.

It is amazing and sad how quickly the Q8 and high performance Q8 models came out and we don’t have something in that segment...

sure, but it is all tied together, right? For instance, in Europe they had new ES, new UX and refreshed RX in 2019, definitely not a bad update year at all for the main sellers (same for Japan) and hence they had record sales in Europe in 2019.

Probably this year was to be the worst of them all in their product cycle hell, but it is going to end as good as it can for Lexus since covid-19 would probably kill any new product launch.

Not everything is roses in competing camps either, after the first year shine went out of it, to me personally Q8 is way too close inside to (base) A6.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
It took them four years to remove the roof from LC. What makes you think they can get LF1 made in a reasonable timeframe?
Hopefully this new President or whatever role he has now can get this flipped quickly. I know we have a few years from anything he can truly do but maybe 2022,2023 will have a lot of new stuff

James

Founding Member
Reactions
sure, but it is all tied together, right? For instance, in Europe they had new ES, new UX and refreshed RX in 2019, definitely not a bad update year at all for the main sellers (same for Japan) and hence they had record sales in Europe in 2019.

Probably this year was to be the worst of them all in their product cycle hell, but it is going to end as good as it can for Lexus since covid-19 would probably kill any new product launch.

Not everything is roses in competing camps either, after the first year shine went out of it, to me personally Q8 is way too close inside to (base) A6.
Agree with you that other companies aren’t perfect either but Lexus high end products are behind. LS is great but they need V8 or Full F. LC is a beauty but LCC and LCF are needed. LX is old. Still looks good but is old. Excitement is needed at those products that most cant afford but look up to saying I want that product one day. LF1 also will fit that niche market.

SQ8 and RSQ8 do look sweet whenever they come out.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It took them four years to remove the roof from LC. What makes you think they can get LF1 made in a reasonable timeframe?

giphy.gif

mikeavelli

Reactions

James I don’t get it. These SUV’s in that segment are not some all new thing. They share platforms, parts, engines, etc. They are the new hip and “lifestyle” cars with 4 door coupes still. Lexus isn’t in either segment.

I mean it’s not even just those SUVs. They have 4 door coupes and 4 door coupe SUVs at the midrange and low range level. And Lexus isn’t there either. I’m taking 3 series gran coupe to X4 coupe etc...

In typing I just remembered the Porsche Cayenne offers a coupe now.

Just do it.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
A Lexus LS underneath 'molten katana' crossover design
When Lexus debuted the LF-1 Limitless crossover concept at the 2018 Detroit Auto Show, Lexus' U.S. general manager waited roughly six minutes to tell the world, as a way of hinting to HQ in Japan, "We have to build this vehicle." Car and Driver says the GM and his dealers will get their wish when the Lexus LQ crossover takes the top spot in the automaker's range in 2022.

Underneath the "molten katana" design language that looks like an RX sent back from the future to kill an RX named Sarah Connor, we'll find the inner workings of the LS sedan, possibly including the luxury-specific TNGA-L rear- and all-wheel-drive platform. Engines could be ported straight from the LS stable for standard LQ models, meaning — for now — a 3.5-liter twin-turbo V6 with 416 horsepower and 442 pound-feet of torque, and a 3.5-liter V6 helped by two electric motors to produce a combined 354 hp. An LQ F or F Sport model could bolt up the impending twin-turbo V8 and cross the 600-hp mark.

Numerous rumors over several years have clouded our view of what's planned for the pinnacle end of Lexus crossovers, though. In late 2018, whispers out of Japan claimed Lexus was working up a twin-turbo V8 with 660 horsepower for a production version of the LF-1 concept due to launch this year, with a milder V6-powered trim to make 424 hp. The V8 part came true, at least. Would an LQ cohabit with the LX as the luxury side of the flagship people-hauler coin? Or would they cohabit at all? Toyota insiders have said the next LX will turn into "an entirely different vehicle" and get far more luxurious, perhaps meaning the LX turns into the LQ. However, last October Lexus trademarked the LX 600 name, a Japanese magazine predicting a month later the next-gen LX would bow in 2021 on Toyota's truck-focused TNGA platform. And with the Toyota Land Cruiser going downmarket, jettisoning the LX would eliminate all those buyers looking for something big, luxurious, and conspicuously rugged.

Toyota has taken the time to trademark the LQ name in the U.S., Canada, France, and China, so dealer lots should clear up the mystery eventually. C/D thinks the entry-level LQ could start around $80,000, and since Lexus won't put its V8 into anything under $90,000, the top LQ trim could demand around $100,000. For comparison, the LS starts at $80,010 before destination, the LX at $86,480.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

Reporting of an LQ to pair with the LX coming in 2022. Seems the LX becomes the big Escalade fighter, and we are back to the LQ as a top of range product.