Issues with 2019 Lexus ES 350 Stock Audio System

Reactions
That is a good question clqw. That's just what the dealer told us, yet if yours was produced in 2019 then it must be more widespread and not just on the 2019's manufactured in 2018.
I believe dealers will tell anybody anything. Posts #239 and #240 seem to confirm this.

Reactions
So I recently flew out of town to buy a 2019 ES 350 "Ultra Luxury" with a "premium" sound system because I thought it was a good deal. I looked forward to getting on the road for the 600 mile drive home. Once on the highway I thought, damn no wonder it was a good deal; the stereo doesn't work. Like the rest of you I eventually found out I had just purchased a car with the "Front Stage Experience". Part of the design. Something they do not plan on addressing because it is intended to be that way. It is a design flaw. They should involve users in the design process and they wouldn't have this problem. Although, I cannot believe the engineers thought that sounded premium, or even good. Agile development perhaps? What ever happen to the concept of Kaizen? I expected more.

I did find a page that allowed me to sign up for a class action suit that is being investigated for the audio issue. I also sent feedback to Lexus for what that's worth. Seems like it would be easier, and less expensive in the long run, to fix the problem. All the bad publicity they are getting. I most likely won't by another Lexus even though I love everything else about it. Everyone that I demo the radio for and explain the Lexus customer response to the issue says "remind me never to by a Lexus".

Ok, so I always say if someone is going to complain then they should recommend a solution. Well aside from the obvious, Lexus making it right, I have attached photos of the configurations that I found makes the best of the situation for now. I beleive the system has one subwoofer and two tweeters in the rear of the car. Midrange only comes from the front. So, I maximized the base and treble, and lowered the midrange. I also moved the balance slightly toward the passenger so it didn't sound like it was blasting me in the face and slightly to the rear to keep decent midrange in the front while emphasizing what comes from the back. I also play the volume at 40-55. Not perfect, but better.

Jim2019 ES350 Configuration - Treble-Bass.jpg2019 ES350 Configuration - Fade-Balance.jpg

MAH

Reactions
Clueless! Do they really think they can convince us that the sound system is acceptable? No one can hear the speakers around the cabin--only the ones on the front windshield. Does anyone know if the lawsuit will be pursued?

FearTheYu

Founding Member
Reactions
Since release of the ES350, I’ve been working in one the busiest service dept in the state of GA. I have yet to experience one car regarding issues with the audio system. If you can’t hear any audio in the back despite changing the fader and/or balance, I would suggest taking it in to your local Lexus service dept for diagnosis.

MAH

Reactions
I took it back to Pohanka in Virginia. The technician agreed that the fader did not balance the sound but said it was normal and there was no technical service bulletin to fix it. Why don't you pick out any 2019 ES on the lot and tell us if the fader is balancing the system?

We all realize that Lexus is trying to deny the sound system is terrible, but threads like this one have over 41,000 views. Why would that many people be looking for answers if they were happy with the sound system?

Since you work for Lexus, why don't you call them and ask how many reports they get about this problem? Maybe they will tell you the truth.

After you test one of the faders in an ES 350, please let us know your results. I am sure we all want to know.

FearTheYu

Founding Member
Reactions
An Internet forum does not always reflect real world conditions. Like books can’t always take place of real world experience in general. They are meant to compliment each other.

Reactions
So I recently flew out of town to buy a 2019 ES 350 "Ultra Luxury" with a "premium" sound system because I thought it was a good deal. I looked forward to getting on the road for the 600 mile drive home. Once on the highway I thought, damn no wonder it was a good deal; the stereo doesn't work. Like the rest of you I eventually found out I had just purchased a car with the "Front Stage Experience". Part of the design. Something they do not plan on addressing because it is intended to be that way. It is a design flaw. They should involve users in the design process and they wouldn't have this problem. Although, I cannot believe the engineers thought that sounded premium, or even good. Agile development perhaps? What ever happen to the concept of Kaizen? I expected more.

I did find a page that allowed me to sign up for a class action suit that is being investigated for the audio issue. I also sent feedback to Lexus for what that's worth. Seems like it would be easier, and less expensive in the long run, to fix the problem. All the bad publicity they are getting. I most likely won't by another Lexus even though I love everything else about it. Everyone that I demo the radio for and explain the Lexus customer response to the issue says "remind me never to by a Lexus".

Ok, so I always say if someone is going to complain then they should recommend a solution. Well aside from the obvious, Lexus making it right, I have attached photos of the configurations that I found makes the best of the situation for now. I beleive the system has one subwoofer and two tweeters in the rear of the car. Midrange only comes from the front. So, I maximized the base and treble, and lowered the midrange. I also moved the balance slightly toward the passenger so it didn't sound like it was blasting me in the face and slightly to the rear to keep decent midrange in the front while emphasizing what comes from the back. I also play the volume at 40-55. Not perfect, but better.

JimView attachment 3606View attachment 3607
Thanks for the info!!

Reactions
Lexus Dealer sent an email notifying me to contact the dealer about replacing amp to fix the sound system in my 2019 ES350. I contacted them awhile back to notify me when the fix was available. It is in the dealer currently being fixed. Plano, Texas

Reactions
Lexus Dealer sent an email notifying me to contact the dealer about replacing amp to fix the sound system in my 2019 ES350. I contacted them awhile back to notify me when the fix was available. It is in the dealer currently being fixed. Plano, Texas

Hi RJB1,

When you get a chance, let us know how the "fix" is working. Also, do you know the part number of the replacement amp you received? I asked my dealer previously about the part number listed earlier in this thread, but they said it was the same part as is already on my car.

A

Reactions
Hi RJB1,

When you get a chance, let us know how the "fix" is working. Also, do you know the part number of the replacement amp you received? I asked my dealer previously about the part number listed earlier in this thread, but they said it was the same part as is already on my car.

A
Hi A,
The dealer called today and said the amp Toyota sent was the same amp that is already in the car. The dealer is contacting Toyota to figure out what needs to be done. My guess is they need to just add this amp to increase the power to the rear speakers. I will update in a few days.

Reactions
Hi A,
The dealer called today and said the amp Toyota sent was the same amp that is already in the car. The dealer is contacting Toyota to figure out what needs to be done. My guess is they need to just add this amp to increase the power to the rear speakers. I will update in a few days.

Thanks for the quick reply. Hope they are able to do something for you (and, eventually, me)!

Reactions
Hi A,

The dealer did not fix the sound system. Toyota told them the sound system was functioning as designed. Not sure why they ordered another amp. They got my hopes up for nothing.

Reactions
Hi A,

The dealer did not fix the sound system. Toyota told them the sound system was functioning as designed. Not sure why they ordered another amp. They got my hopes up for nothing.

Sorry to hear that, RJB1. That is what they told me as well. I don't Lexus ever fixing this issue. So I think all we can do is remember that moving forward and not buy another Lexus (and tell others about the experience). Very disappointing.

Alshamsi

Fan
Reactions
Hello, i do not actually have the same problems as many people here does, my es got an ML sound system, and the sub recently broke and stopped working totally! that's one thing, i also got so many rattles from the front doors.. i do not know if this is only me or others had the same problems ?
Though i do notice the speaker being front biased, but not much, with surround on, all of the are working, the ones in the back get louder.

Reactions
I have a 2014 ES300h with the standard Pioneer system. I took it on for my 75,000 mile service visit this morning and took out a loaner 2019 ES350. Everything on here definitely seems to be all true.

The new 2019 ES just has a terrible audio system. There are three speakers in the dash, two large woofers in the front door and just two small speakers in the rear door.... and the small sub in the back deck. I think that is it. They changed the speaker arrangement and style in this newer redesign for the worse. It sounded like all the vocals were coming from just the front left speaker in the dash when clearly everything was on and working as designed. I even checked to see if the surround sound setting was turned off (it wasnt). But I did notice there was almost no difference between turning the setting on or off in the car. The base Pineer system in my 2014 ES is way better. They have two much larger speakers in the back doors and I think a different speaker design in the front dash. The arrangement and size of the speakers in the previous generation were just better in every way. The produced a much more immersive sound stage which better reproduced the sound of a live performance. The system in the 2019 ES does none of this well. It frankly sounds like I sat a small $200 bluetooth speaker on the left corner of the dash. I know where every speaker is and that I am listening to individual speakers. It sounds cheap......

The main issue here is likely the size of the speakers in the back door and not a power issues as others have noted. Speakers produce sound by moving air. Speakers with a big woofer in general will sound better just because they are able to move more air. You can send tons of power to tiny little satelite speakers like the ones in the back of the 2019. But they will never produce a lifelike, immersive sound like a 6.5" woofer would.

If Lexus wanted to change the sound system from the previous generation, it should at least sound better. This system does not.... and it isn't that I just dont appreciste and audiophile sound as others have suggested here. I love a flat and neutral sound. I am quite engrossed in the audiophile hobby with plenty of speakers at my disposal. But this design flaw in the new ES is enough to make me not buy one. Guess my 2014 will be here for a while until Lexus sorts this garbage out.