Issues with 2019 Lexus ES 350 Stock Audio System

Reaction score
I understand as we had the same experience with our new 2019 LEXUS ES350 that specified to have the Mark Levinson audio system. As I explained in earlier email, we learned the issue from a Toyota employee at the Georgetown KY plant who told us of the issues Toyota/LEXUS had in acquiring the specified ML premium OEM radios such that a backlog of 'finished' production cars sat on the manufacturing plant lot for many weeks until the Georgetown KY plant management directed to take any and all available radios in stock (regardless of model) and install in the ES350's to get the units off the lot. This gentleman told me and my wife exactly what occurred, and he was actually paid overtime that weekend to be part of the team to install the non-ML radios into the ES350's. My opinion: that's why some ES350 cars have the specified ML systems, and some do not. Shame on Lexus who tells us that the audio system on our ES350 'works as designed'. CORRECT! But it's not the audio system that is specified as on the car in the window sticker.

Reaction score
how do you finish with "any radio in inventory"? That does not exist.

Sell the car, sue the company, it is not something they can fix - they designed it like that.
Any radio in inventory means, simply, any radio in stock regardless of model. Thanks for your helpful advice on our alternates to take. Very insightful.

Reaction score
Armed with the TSB posted on the forum, the service center replaced the old amp with the new one, and wow the difference is night and day! As Pam and MAH mentioned, the sound now actually fills in the entire car and I can hear noticeable bass coming from the rear where before there was absolutely nothing. I even sat in the backseat to test things out and the entire rear of the car was shaking and vibrating from the bass of the subwoofer lol. I also didn’t have to put my ear right up against the rear speakers to hear no more than a whisper of audio coming out like before. This now is much better, and I can confidently say that IMO, is the best audio system I have had out of my two previous Lexus vehicles. Even the sound in the front is now more evenly distributed with stronger bass and clarity. Given that there are 7 front speakers and 3 in the back by design, there still will always be somewhat of a front bias as I’ve honestly found in all my previous Lexus vehicles. Nevertheless, you can actually fade to the rear now and adjust the system more to your liking. I am no music expert, but I currently have my fader set two notches to the rear with surround and ASL ON, treble +1, Mid +2, and Bass +3. I listen to hip hop and I enjoy heavy bass. This system now sounds great. I also use Apple Car Play to listen to all my audio, so the source definitely does matter. I urge everyone to print out the TSB and get this done asap. Thank you to everyone for your persistence and for fighting for what’s right. We all paid a lot of money for this vehicle, and it’s only fair that we should finally be getting what we have deserved this entire past year. Best of luck to everyone
Thanks for posting this info. I have not been able to retrieve the TSB on this issue. Could you please post the TSB number? This site’s links do not work to retrieve the PDF. Could you please send the bulletin number and date or take a photo and post ? Thanks!

Reaction score
The Service Bulletin number is L-SB-0020-20 dated May 8, 2020. I had my amp replaced and it does make a difference.

Reactions: RAL
Reaction score
The Service Bulletin number is L-SB-0020-20 dated May 8, 2020. I had my amp replaced and it does make a difference.
Thanks so very much for providing the information! I brought the car in today to dealer. The service advisor that’s worked there for 4 years said he’s never heard of the issue. The service manager said he is aware of the issue and will evaluate the system and if necessary will add or replace amplifier.

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my service department, I had to demand that they replace it per the service bullet. Lexus is playing games by not recognizing that they made a huge mistake with this system, which by the way, they changed in 2020. I paid a premium price for what I was told was a luxury vehicle, what a disappointment.

Reaction score
Thanks for helping a fellow Lexus ES owner: Question, is it a full replacement of a defective single primary amplifier or is it an additional amplifier that is a separate addition to the system?

Reaction score
Thanks for the dedicated help. Lexus replaced the amplifier and the stereo works properly now. I saw the cost of the amp it was $1200.00 that they charge themselves however no cost to me as it was a warranty item. They also replaced the seat upholstery on the upright portion of the seat because the surface was breaking down prematurely.

Reactions: RAL
Reaction score
About whether Service Bulletin L-SB-0020-20 applies to ML systems as well as base audio: Several people have mentioned/tagged the story about the KY plant employee who said there was a time when stocks were low and in order to "finish" cars, assemblers where told just to throw in whatever was available. If this is true, were at least some allegedly ML-equipped cars "finished" this way? Wouldn't the bulletin apply to them? And, given that fix is about the amp, not the speakers, wouldn't a close look at the existing amp/radio be enough to prove whether a given ML-equipped model deserved the fix, too, no matter what the wording of the bulletin is?
2011 ES 350, Beige-on-beige, currently 52K