Official 7th Generation ES Thread: Full Reveal on 4/25 in Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Mainly overall traction in wet or slick conditions with better cornering as a bonus. From that video, it seems Toyota's/Lexus already detect quick acceleration and will transfer power to the rear axle. I don't drive that fast anymore.

Which AWD systems are for performance driving, Audi's Quattro and BMW's XDrive, both of which seem to be full-time AWD?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Mainly overall traction in wet or slick conditions with better cornering as a bonus. From that video, it seems Toyota's/Lexus already detect quick acceleration and will transfer power to the rear axle. I don't drive that fast anymore.

Which AWD systems are for performance driving, Audi's Quattro and BMW's XDrive, both of which seem to be full-time AWD?

You will definitely be fine with DTV AWD or eFour AWD, if either is to come to the ES.

Acura's SH-AWD, Subaru's Symmetrical AWD and Audi's Quattro are probably the best performance AWD systems on the market right now. I believe xDrive offers a "torque vectoring by braking" system that can brake lock the wheel that's not receiving traction thereby forcing power to the one that has traction, but not true torque vectoring like SH-AWD and the new DTV AWD. DTC AWD is/was a "torque vectoring by braking" system as well.

True torque vectoring, by definition, requires the ability to actively send power between wheels on the same axle - not just locking one via braking and thereby forcing power to the other. Many manufacturers have moved to the latter system in recent years, but the former is superior.

Example: If you're driving around a corner, true torque vectoring can send more power to the outside wheel to help power the car around the corner in a confident manner... say, 75% to the outside wheel and 25% to the inside wheel on the same axle. "Torque vectoring by braking" can't do this because it has to lock one wheel and then the system forces power to the wheel that has traction. The defining element in true torque vectoring is the active power transfer on the same axle.

Last edited:
Reactions
sick of FWD cars. im a RWD guy. always have been. the ES would actually be a blast to drive if it was RWD. because its not, i will never consider it an option for myself. even AWD, dont matter. its not RWD. its just not the same feeling. i dont like it. i hate torque steer, even though the es isnt bad about that, its still there. i dont like the way FWD cars behave in the snow and around curves. they sketch me out. there will never be a FWD car ill ever get along with, nomatter what it is. however, the next ES is insanley sexy looking, and im on the edge of my seat waiting for the reveal lol

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
sick of FWD cars. im a RWD guy. always have been. the ES would actually be a blast to drive if it was RWD. because its not, i will never consider it an option for myself. even AWD, dont matter. its not RWD. its just not the same feeling. i dont like it. i hate torque steer, even though the es isnt bad about that, its still there. i dont like the way FWD cars behave in the snow and around curves. they sketch me out. there will never be a FWD car ill ever get along with, nomatter what it is. however, the next ES is insanley sexy looking, and im on the edge of my seat waiting for the reveal lol

Same, same, same!

Reactions

THANK YOU! I said the exact same thing before too! +1

For those who was fighting me earlier on about my call out on the potential issues, well here you go, the Avalon is out for review and drivers are ALREADY complaining about torque steer. It is relatively nose-heavy with the layout and has the other niggles that I have mentioned.

This is why I keep shouting to the car gods above that this current layout is not acceptable for a Lexus. It will not have the same cred as the GS or even an IS, and won't bring in any more customers with the exception of current ES customers and appliance buyers. It's an honest shame that they don't take any note from other manufacturers and continue to pursue their stubborn ways.

I'm not saying it won't be a hit, but it could have been much better.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
THANK YOU! I said the exact same thing before too! +1

For those who was fighting me earlier on about my call out on the potential issues, well here you go, the Avalon is out for review and drivers are ALREADY complaining about torque steer. It is relatively nose-heavy with the layout and has the other niggles that I have mentioned.

This is why I keep shouting to the car gods above that this current layout is not acceptable for a Lexus. It will not have the same cred as the GS or even an IS, and won't bring in any more customers with the exception of current ES customers and appliance buyers. It's an honest shame that they don't take any note from other manufacturers and continue to pursue their stubborn ways.

I'm not saying it won't be a hit, but it could have been much better.

literally every single review called new Avalon class leader with good driving dynamics.

Reactions
literally every single review called new Avalon class leader with good driving dynamics.
Class leader in legroom, and many people outright said it has better driving dynamics but nothing that is wow factor. Don't think that I am trying to crap on TMC, because I am not. I just don't want Toyota to advertise something but end up falling short of it. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.