PeterF

Follower
Reactions
I can only imagine the fun being had making this car....super excited for it. Hopefully tons of carbon fiber bits inside...

I bet it will be terrifically fun driving it as well. It will have to have tons of carbon fiber in order to reduce the weight (as Alexander Li says).

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
The LFA is dead, long live the LC F! It will be interesting to see how their performance compares.

Reactions
i always look forward to lexus arrivals, but all of them worry me especially the "F" models because they are either too heavy, don't have enough power, or both. i really hope the LCF pulls through and for it to look a lot like that yellow rendering above!

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
Logic somehow
But I think 620hp will be the correct answer plus or minus 5

I notice you always have high expectations that are not met by Lexus' conservative ways, leading to disappointment and criticism. I suggest you temper your expectations a bit. :p

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
The LC is certainly heavy, so I'm pretty curious to see what they come up with to shave off some of that weight.
The weight problem is the biggest issue. If Lexus can still maintain a front mid-engined rear-wheel drive layout with the large 4.0 liter sitting behind the wheels, the vehicle should plow a lot less. Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires or Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R tires are likely going to be used as well, but specially developed to be run-flats. Lexus has been adamant against offering carbon ceramic brakes, so enormous 8-piston brakes might be an option.
If Lexus is benchmarking the GTR Nismo, a car with 0-60 times of 2.8 seconds, then the LC F will be about as fast; blowing the tires off of its German rivals like the AMG GT S, the BMW M6, both the S63 and S65, as well as the RS7. At this point the LC F is running with the Porsche 911 Turbo.
Lexus has been very capable of building chassis in the past (like the GS), and we'll see if the LC F can beat the LFA (with the Nurburgring package) around Green Hell.

Agree with the weight. In addition, achieving under 3 second 0-60 gets increasingly more difficult with only RWD as challenges in getting all that power down to the ground increases significantly. Take a 707 hp Hellcat with similar weight as a current LC and takes a "leisurely" 3.5s. Same car though on drag racing tires can beat 3s again speaking to power transfer to the ground. Can AWD (perhaps with electric motors to save weight) be the solution and a first time offering for an F model? GTR, 911 Turbo, NSX, Tesla, etc, all apply power to the four wheels to achieve sub-3 second 0-60 times.

As for power numbers, I'm hoping to see noticeably over 600 hp (620 hp min) since nowadays these figures seem almost pedestrian (i.e. a Dodge sedan with 707 hp and Demon at 840 hp!). If the figure is 590ish, it will be disappointing regardless of performance since in this price range, "whose is bigger" matters for bragging rights.

Last edited:

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
The GT-R NISMO is the dumbest benchmark, much lighter, since it is a sports car, less of a GT car. The obvious benchmark should be the S 63. S65 Coupe, and the upcoming M8.

Speaking of M8, notice how the BMW M8 is probably gonna be revealed at the same time as the regular 8-Series? The 8-Series Concept was revealed at around the same time that the M8 camoflauged car was intentionally revealed by BMW. Why does Lexus wait 1-2 years after the regular model to release the F model? I hope it's just because with the RC and LC they just wanted to add it into the lineup as soon as possible and develop the F car later.

Reactions
In theory, it should be the best engine possible for the LCF. 5.3 Liter stroked version of the LFA V10. It makes easily 645 - 650 HP while retaining the same HP/Liter as the LFA (116 HP/Liter for LFA and 118 HP/Liter for LFA NE). Revs up to 9500 rpm like the LFA 4.8 Liter V10.

Problem is, LCF might still be took heavy for LFA V10 since it is built for power at high revs. LCF is not supposed to be too expensive. The LFA V10 due to its exotic construction and F1 DNA (it was partly built in the Toyota F1 facility), it is too expensive to put in a car that will cost less than $150,000. Therefore, I think Lexus might be looking at putting a cheaper twin turbo V8 to get 600+ HP. That will give the low end torque a 4100 HP car needs and also the horsepower at the top end. Albeit, with much lower rev limit.
The problem here is that the old LFA engine lacks torque, at only 354 lb/ft.

Reactions
467 HP isn't enough?
Remember here that the Germans have turbo engines. While the engines that Lexus makes produces more horsepower, without the turbos there isn't enough torque. Lexus has also placed an emphasis on making the bodies of their cars rigid; therefore making them much heavier than their German rivals. 471 hp just isn't cutting it here in a vehicle that weighs nearly 4,400 pounds.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
The GT-R NISMO is the dumbest benchmark, much lighter, since it is a sports car, less of a GT car. The obvious benchmark should be the S 63. S65 Coupe, and the upcoming M8.

Lexus wants the highest performance Japanese car, hence targeting the Godzilla. And I really don't want to see them trying to out horsepower the Germans (or the Corvette for that matter). The GS F and the LC are fabulous cars IMO and are totally unlike any MB or BMW despite being down on horsepower. If someone wants lots of HP they can buy a Demon or Hellcat.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Speaking of M8, notice how the BMW M8 is probably gonna be revealed at the same time as the regular 8-Series? The 8-Series Concept was revealed at around the same time that the M8 camoflauged car was intentionally revealed by BMW. Why does Lexus wait 1-2 years after the regular model to release the F model? I hope it's just because with the RC and LC they just wanted to add it into the lineup as soon as possible and develop the F car later.

I've driven them and the AMGs you mentioned are more luxury GT than sport GT like the LC. They are also much larger. The M8 we can't comment on since we know nothing about it.

The NISMO is a track knife even in its old age. I'm sure while the LC is not totally aimed for it, they would like to be the dominant Japanese Sports car (NSX comparison as well). The 911 was a target for the LC so I assume the 911 Turbo is a target for the LC F which is a great choice.

Also the RC F did debut with the RC 350..

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
The problem here is that the old LFA engine lacks torque, at only 354 lb/ft.

I had said already it is too expensive to put in a mass produced car in the first place. Regarding torque, the engine was stroked extremely short for maximum revs and quickest revving to redline. Short stroked engines sacrifice torque for higher revs and maximum ability to generate power at high revs. It was designed to be a race engine so maximum power all lives over 4000 rpm. For LFA it worked extremely well for its intended purpose because it was relatively speaking "light". For a 4400 lbs car, it will not work at all with such a top-rpm heavy power delivery. That is why I said a torque-rich engine is required to handle the weight in the midrange.

Last edited:

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
I just hope we relive another Japanese sports car golden age in the near future. For so long the rest of the Japanese manufacturers have been deaf to Nissan's call to party but right after Honda Toyota might be the next one to knock on the doors. Hopefully Mazda will be the next one in the line with new hybrid Renesis.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
Agree with the weight. In addition, achieving under 3 second 0-60 gets increasingly more difficult with only RWD as challenges in getting all that power down to the ground increases significantly.

As for power numbers, I'm hoping to see noticeably over 600 hp (620 hp min) since nowadays these figures seem almost pedestrian (i.e. a Dodge sedan with 707 hp and Demon at 840 hp!). If the figure is 590ish, it will be disappointing regardless of performance since in this price range, "whose is bigger" matters for bragging rights.

I am less concerned with power above 600 HP or 0-60 in less than ... 3.?; what I am more interested in is the handling/steering/suspension, which does implicate the weight

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-07-30-lexus-lc-f-rendering-thumb.jpg

The latest news from Japan.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

Hamed Al Ketbi

Founding Member
Reactions
OHH YES!! the Lexus LC 500 is already a successful car, imagine the LC F. And talking about price, I'm thinking more to 140k to 160k. However, engine sounds amazing but nothing mentioned with Turbos like the other article saying 4.0 Twin Turbo.
FINGER-CROSSED THIS IS HAPPENING!!

Reactions
If it does start at 110k, then it should give the BMW M8 a real run for its money. With F power already under the hood in the base LC, this should be the quickest yet.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
That engine doesn't make sense, it's a 5.0L V8, and I'm assuming that it's the same engine in all the other F cars and the LC F, with a higher tune. But I don't think that squeezing out 150 more ponies from the engine is possible, since I read somewhere that 467 was already really high output for an NA V8. So it would have to be forced induction, but I heard somewhere else that there's not enough space to fit a turbo into the LC body with the 5.0 V8. So the 5.0 V8 rumor is most likely false.