krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-05-30-lexus-super-yacht-thumb.jpg

A report suggests Lexus will proceed with 60-foot yacht based on recent concept.
View the original article post

Hamed Al Ketbi

Founding Member
Reactions
This is so exciting. And when Lexus decides there will be a Superyacht. It means more LUXURY to be considering. I just can't wait for this.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Toyota's marine division would handle the engineering so it's not like building this would prevent them from making a new GS F or something. I say if they can make it look that good, go for it. And offer a program where you can get your new Lexus delivered somewhere on the coast and take a ride on the boat.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
I think this goes along with Lexus recent venture into becoming more of a "luxury lifestyle" brand rather than just a luxury car brand. It started 4-5 years back when Lexus introduced their Intersect by Lexus multi-use lounge in Tokyo, Dubai, and New York (speaking of which, has the NY one opened yet?) And then again with their short films, Lexus Design Awards, Lexus carbon fiber bikes, and then these uber-luxurious yatchs.

To me, they are making all the right moves with these marketing efforts. Their sedan tiers strategy on the other hand...

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
I think this goes along with Lexus recent venture into becoming more of a "luxury lifestyle" brand rather than just a luxury car brand. It started 4-5 years back when Lexus introduced their Intersect by Lexus multi-use lounge in Tokyo, Dubai, and New York (speaking of which, has the NY one opened yet?) And then again with their short films, Lexus Design Awards, Lexus carbon fiber bikes, and then these uber-luxurious yatchs.

To me, they are making all the right moves with these marketing efforts. Their sedan tiers strategy on the other hand...

I agree. I think this is Toyota Motor Corp's means to diversify their luxury portfolio where cars in 20 years may very well be a commodity.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
very impressive. I must add that all of your posts were as much fun to read as the original post about the event. a Nice entertainment to start my day! thanks Mike for the videos!

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
Well, since all these Paris Accord mongrels (Imo it is happening, but Im no nut) been crying. Won't be long before all cars are banned from traffic. Next phase is the ocean & the skies. Lexus yacht & plane. I'm in!

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
The Daily Kanban's Bertel Schmitt brings us further confirmation of upcoming Lexus Yacht production. Here are the highlights:

...Lexus will enter the boat market with a 65foot sports yacht, Toyota Marine boss Shigeki Tomoyama said today (8 March 2018)

...The big boat will Made in America, courtesy of Marquis Yachts in Pulaski, Wisconsin. The boat also will primarily sold there, which is a wise move as the U.S. is the world’s largest recreational boat market. The boat will be sold in the U.S. “from the latter half of 2019,” Tomayama said. As Toyota’s very own “America first” strategy, the boat shall be exported to Japan in 2020.

Don’t expect rows of Lexus yachts floating out of an assembly line. Annual industry volume for 60+ft pleasure boats is a few hundred. They go for a few million on up...

For the full story:
https://dailykanban.com/2018/03/sunseeker-take-cover-lexus-enters-big-boat-market/

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Well, moderators, I wasn't sure where to post this one, since this is an auto forum...but I figure the Garage threads are as good a place as any. Lexus has unveiled a sport-boat powered by two Lexus V8s.

I once had a friend, several decades ago, who had a 28-ft yacht powered by two Chrysler V8s...you would not believe the amount of gas (marine fuel) that thing used. ;)

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/12/lexus-sport-yacht-concept-official/

Lexus goes from land yachts to water yachts with this boat concept
The Lexus Sport Yacht Concept is a pet project of CEO Akio Toyoda.

JOEL STOCKSDALE

Jan 12th 2017 at 10:00AM
lex03-1.jpg

lex04-1.jpg

lex01-1.jpg

lex02-1.jpg

lex05-1.jpg

MORE PHOTOS
  • upload_2018-3-10_20-53-0.png2019 Lexus UX: Geneva 2018
  • upload_2018-3-10_20-53-0.png2018 Lexus LC 500 Inspiration Series: SEMA 2017
  • upload_2018-3-10_20-53-0.pngLexus Black Panther Inspired LC Concept: SEMA 2017
  • upload_2018-3-10_20-53-0.pngLexus LC SEMA cars

propellers-1.jpg

passengercabin-1.jpg

lex12-1.jpg

lex03-1.jpg

lex04-1.jpg

lex01-1.jpg

lex02-1.jpg

lex05-1.jpg

lex06-1.jpg

lex07-1.jpg

lex09-1.jpg

lex11-1.jpg

lex10-1.jpg

lex08-1.jpg

lex12-1.jpg

passengercabin-1.jpg

propellers-1.jpg

• Image Credit: Lexus

Just this week, Lexus unveiled its fully redesigned flagship, the LS sedan. But the term "flagship" seems a bit misplaced now that Lexus has revealed an actual ship. Well, the Lexus Sport Yacht may be a bit small to be called a ship, but it's as close as many automakers will get.

According to Toyota, the idea for the boat came about when the company's CEO, Akio Toyoda, was trying out one of the marine division's new yachts that use Toyota diesel engines. He wanted to see what a sporty, luxury yacht using Lexus design would be like. At his behest, the Toyota Marine Department and Lexus got to work on the concept you see here.

More than a clay model, this is a fully-functional nautical machine. The Lexus Sport Yacht was constructed from carbon fiber by Marquis-Carver Yacht Group in Wisconsin, and has a pair of V8 engines shared with the Lexus RC F (and GS F, and LC500). You can even see through the clear engine compartment cover that they share the same bright blue-painted intake manifolds. Compared with the automotive applications, each engine makes a bit less power at 440 horsepower. When you have two of them, though, that becomes less important. Together the engines' roughly 880 horsepower can propel the boat to a top speed of 49 mph.

The Lexus Sport Yacht comes complete with many luxury amenities. There's seating for eight on the deck. Two of those seats fold out from either side of the captain's chair "for very special guests." The captain also has access to a pair of touchscreens, a small one in the wheel and a massive one ahead of it for instruments and other information. Down below, the forward passenger cabin is loaded with leather, wood, air conditioning, a table, and sofa seating for six. The yacht's galley has a sink, refrigerator, and stove, and the bathroom comes complete with a shower.

Don't expect to see the yacht on sale anytime soon, since this is just a concept at the moment. That being said, luxury automakers, including Aston Martin and Mercedes, have started competing in the yacht market. And while Toyota's marine division hasn't built a pleasure boat since the Epic line, it probably wouldn't be too difficult for the company to start building this Lexus.

Related Video:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Ah, latest story from few days on this is that they will be producing it in 2019, but different - larger sport yacht thats around 35ft if I remember.

Also, Toyota has been doing this for a long time, and point is that their engines are really efficient compared to the regular marine ones, but it also makes them very expensive.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Well, moderators, I wasn't sure where to post this one, since this is an auto forum...but I figure the Garage threads are as good a place as any. Lexus has unveiled a sport-boat powered by two Lexus V8s.
Actually, the Lexus Yacht Concept has had its own thread in the Lexus Lounge since January 2017, when it was unveiled in Miami, Florida, with Krew and Mikeavelli in attendance. It also spawned a trio of News articles, all of which have been part of this thread into which I merged your posts.