Updated 2016 Honda Accord Snapped

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Not quite as big or quite as comfy as it once was. Though it is still not sports-car stiff by any means, both, IMO, took a slight hit with the last redesign....though I'll save further comment on the new 2016 for a test-drive.

Lol, no need to (frequently) reply with such a useless comment made to resemble a weak rebuttal by Captian Obvious. We all know the new Accord isnt much smaller than previous Accords and not that much less comfy . You were the one (assuming you remember) that just mentioned the small and sporty Miata and BR-Z /FR-S in post #78. Think before you hit ENTER , just maybe. ";)":)

The reason why big Accord coupe was mentioned was because of its low take rate with manual, usually the smaller sportier cars have better take rates as per your excellent examples of smaller sporty cars.

Great idea on commenting after test drive or at least reading one ( thumbs up )...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Lol, no need to (frequently) reply with such a useless comment made to resemble a weak rebuttal by Captian Obvious. We all know the new Accord isnt much smaller than previous Accords and not that much less comfy . You were the one (assuming you remember) that just mentioned the small and sporty Miata and BR-Z /FR-S in post #78. Think before you hit ENTER , just maybe. ";)":)

That's just my style of car talk. I'm aware that there are some things about it you don't like, but no need to accuse someone of not thinking. I treat your posts with courtesy, even if I disagree with them. I do admit, however, that I have sometimes posted erroneous data...many of us do on occasion. I correct it if and when I'm aware of it.

The Miata/FR-Z comment was made in reference to most people not buying manual transmissions nowadays, except for sports-oriented vehicles like them (and some others). I did not use it in reference to size or ride comfort. If that was the impression you got (from Captain Not-so-Obvious) ;), then that was incorrect.

Great idea on commenting after test drive or at least reading one ( thumbs up )...

Thank You.....that is done, on my part, out of simple necessity. I have found out, over many years, that newly-introduced vehicles don't always behave or drive in a manner that you first expect them to. If they DID, for example, I wouldn't be driving a Verano. ;)....a car that surprised the living daylights out of me. But that is another story, and I won't get into that here. [/QUOTE]

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
That's just my style of car talk. I'm aware that there are some things about it you don't like, but no need to accuse someone of not thinking. I treat your posts with courtesy, even if I disagree with them. I do admit, however, that I have sometimes posted erroneous data...many of us do on occasion. I correct it if and when I'm aware of it.

[/QUOTE]

No need for rebuttal to every single thing when zero value added, you know exactly what I am referring to. Sure I could have said it better, but nothing wrong with recommending use of discretion before hitting ENTER. I should do the same too. "Style of car talk" doesn't need to be condescending and grade school petty (plus lots of winks) to be unique. Thanks.

Great points on sports cars and manuals. The last of the manuals seem to be in only those cars (plus Accord, topic here). I need to enjoy them while I can.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Back to the new Accord, this thread has my interest perked up a little. I might drop by the Honda shop when they are released in this area and check one out. Wasn't impressed with the ride/handling combination a couple of years ago, but they might have done some suspension changes since then.

Local Honda shops have the 2016 models now. I'm going to try and check one out today. Won't be a full-review, though.....it's not enough of a redesign for that.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
MM Mini-Review: 2016 Honda Accord Sedan

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan/

2016-Honda-Accord-Sedan-0.jpg

2015-Honda-Accord-Rumors-rear.jpg

IN A NUTSHELL: With this car, you get your money's worth........always did.

What's Not-so-Good: Road noise

What's Good: Just about everything else.

I checked out a 2016 Accord 4-cylinder EX sedan (cloth interior) today, which, IMO, was one of the better bargain-combinations in the Accord trim line...it listed for $27,100. It had a White Orchid Pearl exterior and Ivory (light beige) fabric interior. The Accord line, BTW,

As pointed out earlier in this thread, there were a number of mid-cycle face-lift and minor restyling changes to the 2016 model from the 2015, mostly affecting the front end/grille, taillights, and some interior trim changes. (I was able to compare several 2015s and 2016s side-by-side in the lot). The most obvious difference, right off the bat, was the new grille, which had just a small but subtile hint of the Acura parrot-beak in it.

As usual with Accords, almost everything about this latest one seemed well-built, dedicated to quality, and assembled with Swiss-Watch precision....I was very impressed, as always, with the way this car came from the factory. There were, IMO, only a few small design flaws....which I'll get to in a minute. However, the Accord's once-significant lead in this segment has all but dried up, as most of its competitors (Camry, Sonata, Optima, Fusion, Malibu, Regal, etc..) are right on its heels in terms of how well they are built at the factory. In fact, in today's auto market, there probably is no such thing as a bad family-sedan, as the simple demands of today's automotive marketplace force the entrants in this class to be good, not just merely competent.

Underhood, the transverse 4-cylinder fits in extremely well, with loads of room to access and work on engine-block components, and no plastic engine cover to block anything...a superb underhood layout. The battery is up front, on the right, uncovered, and all dipsticks/filler-caps/fluid-reservoirs are clear and easy to access. A cross-brace between the two front strut towers adds frame/chassis rigidity for ride/handling and steering response.

Inside, the interior is not much different from last year, but shows some minor changes to the dash and console design, though the instruments remain the same. One reason I chose the EX model was that I thought its wood-tone dash/door trim was much nicer than the shiny blackish trim on the lower-grade LX model, yet, with fabric seats, it didn't cost as much as the EX-L model with seat-leather or the advanced EX models with special packages (see the web-site for details). The front seats were very comfortable and well-shaped, and there was adequate head room (though just barely) for tall persons under the sunroof housing. Almost everything inside seemed well-made, well-fitted, and of high quality.

On the road, the well-refined four has adequate power for most normal driving...a push-button Eco setting modifies the engine's power-curve for better gas mileage. The engineers have done an excellent job with the CVT transmission, though it lacks shift-paddles for the D/S/L ranges...one must do it with the lever. The transmission exhibits very little motorboat/rubber-band characteristics....easily one of the best CVTs I've seen yet. Steering response is reasonably good with the electric power-steering (though it is obviously no sports car), and body roll is also kept in reasonable check. Road feel is good by many electric-steering standards, but not comparable to older BMW or Porsche hydraulic units. Ride comfort over bumps is generally good by today's standards (it seemed noticeably smoother than the last Accord I drove just a year or two ago), and wind noise is generally well-controlled. Brakes have a very slight amount of sponginess, but not to any levels that I found annoying or taking away from their effectiveness.

Complaints? Typical of a number of Honda models from both past and present, road noise was not very well-supressed on many road surfaces, even with the Goodyear all-season tires......the Accord could use some more of the nice wheel-well insulation from the Buicks sold right next door to that Honda shop. The stereo sound quality was OK, but not what I'd call in the excellent class, and the all-video screen/buttons/slide-sensors, IMO, were somewhat awkward to operate...the LX models, with more dials/knobs, might be easier for some people. And I didn't particularly care for the floating-needle speedometer (a design first used by Mercedes and Volvo). But I wouldn't call the last two complaints...the only thing I think this car really needs is a little more insulation in the wheel wells.

So, in short, the latest 2016 Accord, IMO, continues the long-standing tradition of giving you what you save and pay your hard-earned dollars for. For 27K, this car is a bargain....though base models start around 23K.

And, as always, Happy Car-Shopping. :)

MM

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Nice pic of the white Accord Sport above. What wheels and suspension mods on that car shown (certainly doesn't look stock, right?)?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Nice pic of the white Accord Sport above. What wheels and suspension mods on that car shown (certainly doesn't look stock, right?)?

Judging by the relatively low ride height of many of the 2016 Accords I saw today (several versions also come with standard lower-body flares), that particular suspension in the picture doesn't look to me like it's been significant lowered from stock. The wheels do look different from stock, however......neither the brochure or web-site shows any all-black wheel options from the factory. But I can't tell in the picture what specific brand of wheels they are (that's a Google-image).....heck, they might even be a set of Mike's Vossens. ;)

BTW, when I reviewed the Infiniti Q50, one of the new Q50s sitting on the lot did have a set of Vossens bolted on. It was a special-order vehicle the dealership did, adding the wheels themselves.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Judging by the relatively low ride height of many of the 2016 Accords I saw today (several versions also come with standard lower-body flares), that particular suspension in the picture doesn't look to me like it's been significant lowered from stock. The wheels do look different from stock, however......neither the brochure or web-site shows any all-black wheel options from the factory. But I can't tell in the picture what specific brand of wheels they are (that's a Google-image).....heck, they might even be a set of Mike's Vossens. ;)

BTW, when I reviewed the Infiniti Q50, one of the new Q50s sitting on the lot did have a set of Vossens bolted on. It was a special-order vehicle the dealership did, adding the wheels themselves.

Got it, I see (I was thinking it was a car you saw in person). It's definitely lowered, wheels are probably 20's.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Got it, I see (I was thinking it was a car you saw in person). It's definitely lowered, wheels are probably 20's.

Maybe so, but if it was lowered, it probably wasn't very much. A number of the Accords I saw today with the standard lower-body flares looked very much like that. Of course, I didn't get down on my hands and knees and physically measure each car's clearance with a ruler, either LOL...didn't have time for that.

If you get a chance, BTW, take one out for a spin yourself. Except for some road noise, I think you'll be fairly impressed with what you get for the money. It's not a Lexus LS, but, for the mid-high 20s, like with the Verano and Kia Optima...it's not bad. ;)

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Maybe so, but if it was lowered, it probably wasn't very much. A number of the Accords I saw today with the standard lower-body flares looked very much like that. Of course, I didn't get down on my hands and knees and physically measure each car's clearance with a ruler, either LOL...didn't have time for that.

Yes "maybe so". It's not hard to see its lowered at least 1 inch, no measuring needed. Many of us here at Lexus Enthusiasts have actual knowledge and experience on such matters.

Agreed, lower body kits do create a visually lower look to a car, a nice touch (example being AMG body kits).

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes "maybe so". It's not hard to see its lowered at least 1 inch, no measuring needed. Many of us here at Lexus Enthusiasts have actual knowledge and experience on such matters.

I've had aftermarket wheels before (but not a lowered suspension).

If you get a chance, try out a new Accord on a test drive. Like I said earlier, I don't think you will be disappointed. It had (IMO) one of the best CVT units I've seen yet.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
I just don't understand how they make the Accord that good where it makes Acura sedans seem awful and redundant. A loaded Accord for 35k is the best thing they make. You aren't even missing out of features and it's not like Acuras have real wood or amazing luxurious interiors. Hell the Accord actually has more features like the Apple Play.

This is a lot of car for the money. Well done Honda.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I just don't understand how they make the Accord that good where it makes Acura sedans seem awful and redundant.

I was quite impressed with the flagship Acura RLX's road manners and general comfort level....but I'm not sure it was worth the asking price. Its predecessor RL, which I also had a high opinion of, had quite low sales because a number of people also thought it overpriced for its size.

You aren't even missing out of features and it's not like Acuras have real wood or amazing luxurious interiors.

The new Accord EX model (the one I sampled) has very nice, and quite realistic-looking wood-tone trim inside..far nicer IMO than the cheaper LX model's shiny-black trim. And, with the Accord over the Acuras, for 2016, you only have to put up with half of a parrot-beak grille instead of a full one LOL. :D

mikeavelli

Reactions

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
C&D just tested the TLX SH-AWD and said the Accord is the sportier drive. Damn.

It's certainly hard to beat the Accord's CVT, if one wants a sport-feel from that type of unit. Even without shift-paddles, it impresses with its overall responsiveness.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I find the SE fantastic to look at. It's beyond perplexing how the Accord SE can look more luxurious and sportier than Acura sedans. Accords are all over down here and IMO its a very good looking sedan, even with the new beak.