Toyota to Debut Next-generation Century at Tokyo Motor Show 2017

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
I think in the US people would negatively associate that with the Buick Century, but maybe I'm underestimating the auto-buying public.
Wasn't there a statement some time ago (perhaps when Lexus started selling in Japan) that Lexus would no longer sell re-badged Toyota models (such as the Toyota Windom as the Lexus ES and Toyota Harrier as Lexus RX)?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Wasn't there a statement some time ago (perhaps when Lexus started selling in Japan) that Lexus would no longer sell re-badged Toyota models (such as the Toyota Windom as the Lexus ES and Toyota Harrier as Lexus RX)?

Right, none of the current Lexus models are direct re-badges (meaning only the badging changed) of a Toyota like the Celsior/LS or Windom/ES were. The RX/Harrier is a special case; there's a Toyota Harrier still sold in Japan and some Asian markets, but it's basically an RX-like body on the RAV4's New MC platform (the RX is Highlander/K platform based).

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Right, none of the current Lexus models are direct re-badges (meaning only the badging changed) of a Toyota like the Celsior/LS or Windom/ES were. The RX/Harrier is a special case; there's a Toyota Harrier still sold in Japan and some Asian markets, but it's basically an RX-like body on the RAV4's New MC platform (the RX is Highlander/K platform based).

LX, GX?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Even the LX and GX have a different interior from the LC and LC Prado. It's not like the former situation where the 3LS was just called a Celsior in Japan with a Toyota logo on the steering wheel instead of Lexus. But yes, those are the closest to their "donor" vehicles.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
Really impressive vehicle. I like the Toyota Brand a little more than I do Lexus. I noticed there was the power seat belt motors like the LS. But have to say, V12.....that takes the cake

Dougs comments on the engine and powertrain were impressive

I do wonder if the Century has an air suspension.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I'm sure this will be just an SUV and not some new form factor
Also I'm sure it has no read through for the LS

In reality this is very exciting is true

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Finally a real upscale FR non BOF SUV!
David suggests -- and backed up by the rendering (with the incredibly long front overhang and incredibly short dash-to-wheel ratio) -- that this Century SUV will share an architecture with the Lexus TX, which will be built on the FWD (FF) GA-K (Camry, Highlander, NX, RX) platform.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I think more TX based than FR.
The TX / G.Highlander based Toyota will be the Crown Estate
The Crown Estate in length is between TX / G.Highlander and RX/Highlander with more sport orientation than the 4

In fact it's a FR is what I was told from year ago that it will be based on TNGA-F at the beginning as a wider more luxurious Sequoia at the beginning but they changed it

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It will not be based on the Sequoia because Sequoia is produced in US only. The Motomachi factory does not have BOF production capability let alone the LWB Tundra variant of GA-F.

What's unexpected is the Century SUV seems to get the 8GR-FXS V6 from LS/LC500h paired with the transverse parallel hybrid system and eAxle in the rear. BestCar also reported the Alphard could retain the V6 before. So we'll possibly see the 8GR live on for a few years before a BEV variant comes out. The move down to V6 is because the V8 hybrid system is "over-specced" for the Century (which is technically correct since the Century has higher power-to-weight ratio than LS500 and lacks AWD).

The BestCar scoop suggests the Century Cross uses the floor section of eTNGA. This probably means a BEV is planned but still waiting for appropriate battery tech for such a heavy vehicle.