Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
Best eo
There seems to be quite a few people reporting seized V35 engines that have had main bearing failures. Now there’s the fuel line recall too.

There’s a good number of people who were concerned about the reliability of a TT V6 compared to a NA V8, and I was hoping Toyota could pull off a TT V6 without any issues, but it seems those concerns were valid. Hopefully the T24 has less problems.

It will be interesting to see how the roll out of the twin turbo v6 y63 Nissan Patrol/Armada/QX80 is going to be. If they will face an issues or if it will be more reliable.

Curious to see what engine they use and how it will compare to the v35A.
Should be on sale closer to late spring/early summer 2024.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I moved all of the powertrain discussion here since the Land Cruiser 250 isn't even getting the V35A, and the replies were heading in a broader direction :)

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
Unfortunately, I don't think so.
Makes sense. Lexus is going all in on BEVs so no point in bringing the TTV8 this late. The sad thing is that decision led to the demise of the LF-1 Limitless at least in ICE form which would’ve plugged the flagship crossover hole. Now the Century SUV will assume that role for TMC.

Speaking of which, what’s the future of Lexus’ BOF products? I assume the Land Cruiser will live on with an ICE for a long time to come. Especially since Toyota is working on a hydrogen ICE V8.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The other thread is Toyota and Lexus powertrain info, so Land Cruiser, LS, LX, etc can all be included there. We can bring Land Cruiser-specific information back here for sure.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Man, I almost went to overland expo this weekend. Now I wish I did.

Interesting that the window sticker shows rectangular headlights on the First Edition. That mustard color is growing on me.

I love the exterior of the GX, but the more I see of the Land Cruiser, the more I think I would prefer it over a GX. The interior just looks so much better, especially the Java color, and the Land Cruiser has three zone climate controls that aren’t available on the Overtrail + (unless Lexus changes that on production models).

I was never 100% sold on the 4Runner appearance. The front end just had too much going on, and I never liked the protruding headlights and massive grill opening. Looked like a bug-eyed large mouth bass to me. The 6th gen may be better, but I like that Toyota is offering the Land Cruiser as a more mellow alternative (albeit a little more expensive). I could totally see myself in a Land Cruiser within the next couple years.

jphcbpa

Fan
Reactions
Man, I almost went to overland expo this weekend. Now I wish I did.

Interesting that the window sticker shows rectangular headlights on the First Edition. That mustard color is growing on me.

I love the exterior of the GX, but the more I see of the Land Cruiser, the more I think I would prefer it over a GX. The interior just looks so much better, especially the Java color, and the Land Cruiser has three zone climate controls that aren’t available on the Overtrail + (unless Lexus changes that on production models).

I was never 100% sold on the 4Runner appearance. The front end just had too much going on, and I never liked the protruding headlights and massive grill opening. Looked like a bug-eyed large mouth bass to me. The 6th gen may be better, but I like that Toyota is offering the Land Cruiser as a more mellow alternative (albeit a little more expensive). I could totally see myself in a Land Cruiser within the next couple years.
let's see the pricing...the delta might justify it depending on the mark ups dealers will apply to the first edition.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
According to online reactions, the LC250 might sell well. Being the same size now as LC300, and costing less, I see absolutely no market for the LC300, ever. Who wants a V6 in their LC250 can get the GX. On the other hand there still is the LX as a “crème de la crème” Landcruiser.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I think there is still definitely a market for LC 300 - it's Toyota's global flagship vehicle and has the best of everything. Interior is also nicer than the LX (IMO), so if I lived in a market that sold both, I'd rather have a Land Cruiser 300.

One thing that is unclear to me is that old Land Cruisers (100, 200) used to be built to a 25 year usable life spec which is one thing that differentiated them from something like the Sequoia...Is that still in effect with GA-F?

I'm sure Land Cruiser 300 gets the "best of everything" but even then, platform, engines and transmissions are shared with the Tundra and Sequoia. I am less sure where/how 250 components differ, but I'm sure they are cheaper in places -- they have to be.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
According to online reactions, the LC250 might sell well. Being the same size now as LC300, and costing less, I see absolutely no market for the LC300, ever. Who wants a V6 in their LC250 can get the GX. On the other hand there still is the LX as a “crème de la crème” Landcruiser.
I think it will probably feel a half size smaller than the LC300 (mostly in the cabin width). I think Toyota is leaving that "big SUV" market to Sequoia and LC250 will fit between the 4Runner and Sequoia.

I believe they expect 5000 first editions, so that surely means they are thinking 20k+ units per year.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The Prado series are designed and manufactured to the exact same standard as the Station Wagon series. A LC250 lasts just as long as LC300.

The main difference has always been GVM and GCM. The Station Wagon series could carry and tow more load. For heavy camper builds the LC300 will be much more suitable while LC250 is more of a casual overlander.

For the NA market it seems the role of LC300 is actually fulfilled by the Tacoma Trail Hunter. The Trail Hunter is actually specifically engineered to have much higher GVM than the regular Tacoma. Maybe they are waiting for a facelift to do the same for Tundra Trail Hunter, since the chassis and drive train would need to be reengineered.

Last edited:

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
For the NA market it seems the role of LC300 is actually fulfilled by the Tacoma Trail Hunter. The Trail Hunter is actually specifically engineered to have much higher GVM than the regular Tacoma. Maybe they are waiting for a facelift to do the same for Tundra Trail Hunter, since the chassis and drive train would need to be reengineered.
That’s super interesting. I assumed the Trail Hunter was just a bunch of bolt-ons. I’d love to learn more about the differences between a regular Tacoma and Trail Hunter. Do you have a link or something that would cover that in more detail?

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
The LC200 (excluding LX 570 sales) at its peak with no supply issues sold around 120k units a year, add that with like 30/40k 570s you had almost 150k 200 series vehicles sold per year at the peak. That was not far off from the 150 of the time which sold probably around 150k a year (excluding GX).
I'm talking global sales here. The Prado/250 will outsell the LC300 overall but not in all markets. Toyota always expects the Prado family to be the best seller that is the goal of it to be the affordable LC that gets people into the LC family. So it selling better than the flagship isn't a surprise or shock to Toyota.

So when you add the price difference that's pretty impressive

Fast forward to LC300, obviously supply issues and all that but it still is selling extremely well (though I don't have specific figures) case in point I totally expect the sales records to be broken especially in coming years when the supply issues improve with all land cruisers (70/250/300)

Alot of people want a stately conservatively designed vehicle and the LC300 provides that.
Add that to the fact the LC300 has better engines and some toyota 250 versions will actually overlap and be super close price wise to some 300s, that plays in the favor of the 300.

You guys also realise the LC300 and LX still have a long life ahead of them with lots of updates and a facelift soon too.
Don't you worry, the flagship will rise even further.

If anything the weakest link here seems to be the Seqouia. Is it doing well in the US?

Seqouia is not sold in the Middle east anymore (discontinued after 2016). It would be a great seller though here.

Last edited:

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
He's not talking about the middle east.
He referred to the LC300. They don't sell the LC300 (J300) in the US. They sell a J310 as the LX600.

So when the topic of LC300 sales is brought up, it is only natural global markets will be brought up to the discussion...since it is a global vehicle.

Also, I was talking about global sales, not specifically Middle Eastern sales.

The only time I brought up the Middle East in my response was in relation to the Seqouia question that I asked.

Anyway, since we are bringing up the ME. (ME specifically GCC is the biggest LC market in the world followed by Australia). GCC is also the biggest market for the LX.

I am sharing different perspectives and looking at the bigger picture.

Last edited:

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
He referred to the LC300. Its strongest market is the Middle East. They don't sell the LC300 in the US. They sell a J310 as the LX600.

So when he said LC300 sales what else was he talking about? It is impossible to talk LC sales without bringing up the Middle East.

Also, I was talking about global sales , not specifically Middle Eastern sales.
He's referring to the absence of the Toyota branded LC300 in the NA market. Since the LC200 bombed in the US, making a version that is more inline with US tastes and price points (LC250) makes a lot of sense. Since we have the 4Runner, LC250, GX, Sequoia, and LX, there isn't a need for a Toyota branded LC 300 in the US.