Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
He's referring to the absence of the Toyota branded LC300 in the NA market. Since the LC200 bombed in the US, making a version that is more inline with US tastes and price points (LC250) makes a lot of sense. Since we have the 4Runner, LC250, GX, Sequoia, and LX, there isn't a need for a Toyota branded LC 300 in the US.
Thank you for clarifying.
Alot of the members here are not from the US, so my response was from that perspective.

What he said sounded strange for someone who lives in a country where the LC300 and LX are the best selling vehicles.

From your US perspective where they only sold one fully loaded LC200, totally makes sense.

So again different perspectives. Thanks.

Reactions: RAL

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The LC200 (excluding LX 570 sales) at its.....

Sorry I did not mention I was specifically speaking of the NA market. I know about the rest of the world. And regarding the rest of the world, even in Europe, Prado buyers (the regular ones), they usually know there is a large Landcruiser not sold anymore. The way the media/buyers/interested people talk about the NA LC250, it sounds like for them it is the replacement of both FJ Cruiser (custom bodies Prado to look retro) and the LC200 standard Landcruiser.

The GX (1st gen) could have gotten a different reception in the US market, if the Prado (J120) was sold in parallel.

Right now I see on wiki page the the LC250, in the square box, the GX is not linked in related platform, the LX is.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
Thank you @Levi . I didn't know you were based in the US.

More land cruiser sales is always a good thing regardless of series.

I feel it will benefit the entire LC range and we will hopefully see more exciting products.

Imagine just a few years ago (before @Carmaker1) and other distinguished members discussed the upcoming LC250/(Prado) /GX and gave us accurate info.

All what we are seeing today from GX/250 (Prado) would have sounded like it's too good to be true.

Exciting times ahead!

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Thank you @Levi . I didn't know you were based in the US.

More land cruiser sales is always a good thing regardless of series.

I feel it will benefit the entire LC range and we will hopefully see more exciting products.

Imagine just a few years ago (before @Carmaker1) and other distinguished members discussed the upcoming LC250/(Prado) /GX someone described how they would become today, it would sound like it's too good to be true.

Exciting times ahead.
No I am Europe based, and very aware of the Landcruiser heritage, have an acquaintance that baught Landcruisers, (has an old J40 too), his last is a J200 facelift II (facelift III was not sold in Western Europe anymore). Because there is no new anymore, he keeps it, has +400.000 km on it (V8 diesel).

The way I see the reception of the LC250/GX is simply strange from my view.

But I agree with you, from a marketing perspective, the successful reception of the Landcruiser name in NA is benefiting the name as a whole, worldwide.

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
Being the same size now as LC300
It's actually a bit shorter and narrower than the LC.
I see absolutely no market for the LC300, ever
The LC300 still remains the flagship and the more desirable model. It has 3 different V6 engines (1GR, V35A, F33A). If I had to say the GX is the model you'll have to make a case for. But it has a much better case than the GX 460 had when the LC200 with the 4.6L V8 existed so it has a good starting point.
All what we are seeing today from GX/250 (Prado) would have sounded like it's too good to be true.
I know, right? Nobody I know would've seriously considered a Prado/GX before haha.
facelift III
There were only 2 facelifts on the 200. The first in 2012 and the second in 2016.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Not sure how I feel about the mini Cruiser. Looks too much like a Bronco Sport. I have a hard time believing this is going to be BOF. My guess is it’ll be GA-C with a 2.0 hybrid standard.

Last edited:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Love the car, hate what it's become and who it attracts.
Can't ever have one because of the association unless i get some grandfather spec.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Love the car, hate what it's become and who it attracts.
Can't ever have one because of the association unless i get some grandfather spec.
Same for me regarding BMW. I’d gladly have a 340d Touring or 540d Touring, but can’t accept the image.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I don't think it will be BOF because longitudinal BOF is the least space-efficient platform (the LX has shorter cabin length than the Camry, the Sequoia cabin is smaller than Grand Highlander). Not really possible to have 2 rows of usable seats for adults and enough cargo capacity in a 4.3m body. That's about the same length as 3 doors. And even if they manage to package for more space there won't be much GVM left for payload.

The 5 door Jimney will technically seat 4 very small people and barely any cargo. It has almost no crumple zone so if you crash you will die. I drove a Daihatsu Terios 5 door (the last small BOF built by Daihatsu) almost 2 decades ago. It's 4.4m long (same as Corolla Cross) and it has less space than a Gen 1 RAV4 5 door which was only 4.1m long.

Last edited:

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
The mini cruiser looks a lot like some of the Stout renders floating around. I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up having a lot in common.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
land hopper is a cute name lol but not sure how it would stick?

Think about it
you have the land .... cruiser sounds majestic right?
then the land hopper for that...lol cute.

Maybe they thought calling this Land Cruiser ( mini ) or Land Cruiser ''sport'' or something along those lines would dilute the brand name.
Every single vehicle that has the LC name so far is extremely capable and durable and can be driven in the harshest terrain.
I doubt this would be able to handle anything close to that.
It sure as hell would have sold like crazy though with a Land Cruiser badge, for people who want to feel special and think they own a legend.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
For a cute ute "Land Hopper" is a great name. There's still an implied connection to the Land Cruiser without writing checks the vehicle's capability can't cash, and it opens up other potential "Land *er" names for additional variants if they want to go the Crown route and have a full lineup.