Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Love both of them...and the refreshed 70 series!

They love to add teasers for future vehicles in their press events. Looks like the left is Stout SUV version similar to Bronco Sport (or could be the EV Cruiser, if that program is still alive). And the right is something completely new. New Fortuner maybe?

LC.png

Last edited:

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Not sure if it's being lost in translation between Japan and USA, but there are incomplete press/media information and assets available. As of now, it's not live on pressroom.toyota.com, which still has a popup for the 9:20 PM ET reveal, and all of the YouTube promo videos direct viewers to Toyota.com, but there's nothing on the website about the Land Cruiser (Not even under "Upcoming Vehicles").

The video notes two different grades and I was looking for information on those but nothing is available.

I like the design but am puzzled by 8.3 inches of ground clearance - that is very low for a vehicle that's supposed to come out of the box with off-road credibility. For the record, the Subaru Outback has 8.7 inches and even the 4Runner has 9.6 inches... not sure why the Land Cruiser is comparably so low to the ground. Center and rear lockers are nice for folks who will truly go offroad.

(Full) Saddle leather interior is probably going to sway some Toyota off-road folks who wanted it in the GX -- it does look nice. The placement of the volume knob is one of the strangest and worst design decisions I’ve seen lately… wtf?

I'll be interested to see the 4Runner in a few months and understand how it's positioned in comparison to the Land Cruiser.

EDIT: It's now live on Toyota.com but the press release link is dead.

EDIT 2: While Toyota's promo video says 8.3 inches of ground clearance, the press release says 8.7 inches. Better, but still an inch less than the 4Runner which surprises me.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
As expected, for maximum capability the J300 is still the undisputed king followed by refreshed J70. The J250 is mostly normal Prado just with retro styling. US market could only pray for a LX700h Overtrail for max Land Cruiser.

Also according to Toyota USA it really has the power generation capability of a Navy Cruiser. Now they can advertise to warlords that the Land Cruiser now support laser weapons and rail guns.
cruiser.png

guy80

Fan
Reactions
I have my deposit for a GX Overtrail, but also curious how the LC and 4runner all compare in this line up.
Never a turbo fan, cannot stand turbo lag or the need to be a high RPM for "work" but here I am

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I’m a little underwhelmed by it. Overall, it just seems a bit….bland. I’m sure it’ll grow on me, however, as all Land Cruisers have. Tri-beam headlights are definitely my preference. An ARB front bumper would look good on this. I do like the interior, especially that brown color and round vents, better than the GX. Exterior of the GX definitely looks waaayy better.

1958 version is super basic. Manual seats, heated cloth seats, smaller screen….tough sale at 55k. 😏

My guess that it would have a V35 was wrong. It will be interesting to see what the 6th gen 4Runner has to offer, because from a drivetrain/capability standpoint, the Land Cruiser doesn’t seem to offer anything more than a 4Runner would. From what I’m seeing so far, I don’t know that it’s worth the 10-15k premium over a 4Runner.

The new silver color is really nice.

Interesting to see the 2.8 diesel as the sole option in Europe. Europe seems to be moving to hybrids instead of diesels, so I would’ve expected the turbo 4 hybrid to be an option.

One of the YouTubers I follow mentioned it has manual seats on the lower trim model. Interesting if true. It looks like two-row models have three-zone climate controls, which the GX does not have. The Land Cruiser also had memory seats, and I seem to recall someone saying not all GX models have that. So, the LC may have some combo of features not on the GX.

LC is getting a lot of flak on social media for only offering a turbo 4 hybrid. Probably not the sort of response Toyota was hoping for, but I think some of it is justified.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Just spec sheet racing, current 4Runner TRD Offroad has 9.6 inches of ground clearance with a 33 degree approach angle and 26 degree departure angle. Looking at that, this Land Cruiser seems to sit more between the Highlander and 4Runner than superior to the 4Runner in offroad ability.

Since the JDM spec LX 600 offroad package comes with triple lockers, I was hoping the Land Cruiser would come with three but one rear and one center is still plenty for 98% of owners.

Just trying to understand some of the mechanical decisions, intended purpose/audience, and position within the portfolio… it’s not clicking for me quite yet.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I can only assume, with the 4Runner intended to be evolutionary, that the LC is still a super niche product for those who can afford a 4R but specifically want a retro boxier design (?) Tho the 4R is boxy as it is... Yeah idk

guy80

Fan
Reactions
I can only assume, with the 4Runner intended to be evolutionary, that the LC is still a super niche product for those who can afford a 4R but specifically want a retro boxier design (?) Tho the 4R is boxy as it is... Yeah idk
I think several people feel this way - the LC and GX both miss the mark on the interior imo
Personally I'm leaning towards GX still, cannot wait for the 4R

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
The new Land Cruiser has a more cohesive/polished exterior/interior design than the new GX.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Press release is saying 27 combined MPG rating. Dang. That’s a lot better than I was expecting.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
this photo has me really intrigued
The rear right is the new mini cruiser
we saw a concept of it a while back but this looks like the production version. They may try and badge it as a land cruiser mini and use the Land Cruiser name

The rear right vehicle...what in the world is that? It looks like a cross over but with high ground clearance? Could this be a cross over electric Land Cruiser? A new sub brand of the LC?
And the bike maybe some gimmick offroad bike cruiser.

crossover.jpeg

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
New 70 series is super ugly. They really took a step backwards there. The taillights in the rear bumper especially….ouch. Hopefully that’s just a picture of the JDM version and not indicative of the global 70 series.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
The Land Cruiser 300 has better ground clearance and off road angles than the LC250 as per official specs
Also you can get a front locker option on the 300 and no front locker on 250.
Screenshot_20230802_065402_Chrome.jpg

LC 300
Screenshot_20230802_065944_Instagram.jpg

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
New 70 series is super ugly. They really took a step backwards there. The taillights in the rear bumper especially….ouch. Hopefully that’s just a picture of the JDM version and not indicative of the global 70 series.
that's the issue when you keep updating an old vehicle. It starts looking weird.
I like the new lights but from some angles the vehicle looks like a mess.