Toyota EV/eTNGA Rumor Thread

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
With the EV push from Toyota starting, I wonder how the marketing PR team is gonna spin its wheels? The battery degradation profile is going to be a thing, evident by the BZ video.

Is Toyota considering shifting away from "reliability" as its key claim to fame with the inherent or will they double down on how not only are their batteries more reliable then the competition *cough cough* LG/GM but overall build quality?

Most automakers are unable to market outright Safety and Driver Assist with Tesla so thats off the list.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
With the EV push from Toyota starting, I wonder how the marketing PR team is gonna spin its wheels? The battery degradation profile is going to be a thing, evident by the BZ video.

Is Toyota considering shifting away from "reliability" as its key claim to fame with the inherent or will they double down on how not only are their batteries more reliable then the competition *cough cough* LG/GM but overall build quality?

Most automakers are unable to market outright Safety and Driver Assist with Tesla so thats off the list.

battery degradation is real thing, so it is like reliability.
Also, winter range.

I have no doubt that Toyota Safety Sense 3.0 is actually safer than Tesla's thing, but it is impossible to market that. You get to learn it as driver.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
Also, winter range.

I have no doubt that Toyota Safety Sense 3.0 is actually safer than Tesla's thing, but it is impossible to market that. You get to learn it as driver.
I've owned and drove 2 Teslas for 6 years. Autopilot is excellent at lane centering. The rest is marketing hype, the other manufacturers are real darn close to what Tesla delivers but they're marketed as a variety of other things without the cool, catchy name. The other things are easy - lane departure warning / action, adaptive cruise, etc. My Toyota products have superior blind sport warning compared to Tesla's implementation. And I have front and rear cross traffic alert in my LS that Tesla doesn't offer.

Yes winter range bites, I didn't have the heat pumps in my Model S's so I would see 25 to 50% loss in range in extreme cold. Degredation is a VERY real thing too. So is slowing down supercharging speed via an over the air software update.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Also, winter range.

I guess if the competition is the Chevy/Bolt I guess battery reliability is a marketing slam dunk. But with more established players in the space such as Tesla is TMC really going to go market battery degradation?

Lexus Safety Sense 3.0 agreed is not marketed well, but even on a technical standpoint I don't see anyone having a more refined Level 2 system then Tesla.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

It's very hard to market battery reliability because these battery cells are not made in-house. And they can't really prove the batteries are reliable before a BZ4X gets to 300k km. Their ICEV/HEVs get the reputation because millions of people over decades have had lots of mileage on these cars.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
It's very hard to market battery reliability because these battery cells are not made in-house. And they can't really prove the batteries are reliable before a BZ4X gets to 300k km. Their ICEV/HEVs get the reputation because millions of people over decades have had lots of mileage on these cars.
But if not reliability what are they gonna go with? The other avenue would be the "selling a lifestyle" ala easy of transition I guess. If your are currently in a rav4 the cost savings, I guess a rehash of what they did with the original Prius instead this time with a battery only?

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
So whats the take on mass production of SSB from Toyota currently?
I ask since the mass production of SSB tech last being forecasted (at least publicly) 10 years from Toyota, while QuantumScape is supposedly 2 years away (launch) while full scale is 5 years away.

shizhi

Follower
Reactions

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I wonder how true this is.

That is old news. The 290D 'Toyota-BYD SML-H+' sedan was picked up by Chinese media two years ago. Toyota also revealed the roadmap earlier this year. It could simply be a rebadged Qin Pro EV.

Its description of BYD's operating model is mostly correct. Toyota was originally quite impressed by how they could put together a relatively complete hybrid package when the Qin PHV was introduced, but dismissed its poor NVH and quality control. As a Qin owner for a year I can confirm it's very true.

What made Toyota commit to a long-term relationship is exactly the blade LFP battery. It's by far the safest battery design on the market. However they need to solve LFP's low-temperature operability problem.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Rumor on a BEV Sports Car being reported by BestCar.

Solid state battery, dual motor 500PS, successor to Supra. Also reported is a Mazda RX-7 EREV codeveloped with Toyota (rotary range extender)

My hypothetical lineup for TMC Sports Cars by 2030: MR2 300PS, Supra 500PS, "RC EV" 600PS, "LFA 3" 1000PS. I think their current generation of ICE sports cars will be completely retired by then.
eb894a8184329e7a79b1b7a9fc35f565.jpg

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
See my reply in the other thread...

Nah, that is just wishful thinking/dreaming. Because they did not come in the last 20 years, and time has past, with the BEV transition now they (Supra, RX-7, S2000, NSX, STI, EVO (as rebadged Renault? :ROFLMAO:), Silvia, GT-R) adapted too. Sure! In thirty years mag will come titled "Supra, RX-7, S2000, NSX, STI, EVO, Silvia, GT-R, after 50 years of absence to return as flying cars!!!".

Please, let us not bring these fake rumors to the BEV world, which is already quite saddening.

PS: Not reproaching you @ssun30 to share what Japanese media reports. Just laughing at the content they report.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
That Lexus render has been confirmed to be a large-size sedan. But at 240k/year it can NOT be the LS.

GS to return as the BEV alternative to ES?

They also have very high sales target for the BZ5X/Lexus TZ.
1686633795382.png

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
That Lexus render has been confirmed to be a large-size sedan. But at 240k/year it can NOT be the LS.

View attachment 7467

My hope that the entire BEV sedan/non-SUV lineup is the return of the GS in different form factors is slowly inching up from 0%...

Reactions

View attachment 7467

GS, ES, whatever they are going to name this.

As long as it is a compatible product against the i5 / EQE / A6 e-tron.

I'll take it.