Toyota EV/eTNGA Rumor Thread

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
That Lexus render has been confirmed to be a large-size sedan. But at 240k/year it can NOT be the LS.

GS to return as the BEV alternative to ES?

They also have very high sales target for the BZ5X/Lexus TZ.
View attachment 7467

Is it model or plarform sales targets?
Maybe 240k sedan format sales per year on the platform.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
My takeaway is either the IS is under compact due to the euro-segment "Compact-exec" or is being grouped with the large cars due to "Large RWD" platform? Don't get my hopes up for a next-gen ICEV IS 😭

Motor

Expert
Reactions

• Three new liquid electrolyte battery technologies to deliver higher power, longer range, faster charging and lower cost
  • Solid-state breakthrough shifts development focus to mass production
  • Battery height reduction technology key to driving range improvements

1694789087544.png

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
So many on GCR saying all this is BS from Toyota haha.

Anxiously anticipating 2027 and beyond models for battery longevity.

NVlaar

Follower
Reactions
So many on GCR saying all this is BS from Toyota haha.

Anxiously anticipating 2027 and beyond models for battery longevity.
Whats GCR? Yeah, even myself (big TMC fanboy) is kinda doubtful. Too good to be true but we will see. Fingers crossed.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
They are clearing a very low bar so I believe the percentage numbers. In one review the RZ450e only managed 120mi of highway cruising range Improving that by 100% in 2028 makes that just 240mi.

ES300h

Fan
Reactions
I'm not convinced yet that the giga castings have any benefits to the buyer/consumer. They are great for production yes, maybe even save money. But, in the. event of an accident who pays? Insurance. So people's insurance rates will be much higher on "cast" vehicles in the long run. Repair bills will be huge and repair times might even be terrible because can you imagine shipping and auto body places replacing such large components?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Toyota has historically had pretty affordable OEM parts, even compared to Detroit. I think for something like this casting the parts will be relatively affordable, and I don't see shipping being a major problem since even a full upper body assembly will fit many times over in a standard sized semi or train car, but the labor is an open question. If it's designed with that in mind it could actually be pretty cheap. If it's like the old Toyota/Lexus V8s with the starter in the "V" of the engine underneath the intake, all bets are off.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I'm not convinced yet that the giga castings have any benefits to the buyer/consumer. They are great for production yes, maybe even save money. But, in the. event of an accident who pays? Insurance. So people's insurance rates will be much higher on "cast" vehicles in the long run. Repair bills will be huge and repair times might even be terrible because can you imagine shipping and auto body places replacing such large components?
I have some experience with casting heads and blocks. The more material, the more difficult it is to control porosity. How do they confirm porosity in a gigacasting? 100% scanning in areas that are expected to fracture in a certain way during crash testing? Or lot release with cut checks? With sheet metal making up the structure of a unibody, it's pretty easy to visually confirm if the welds are in place and if the sheet metal is the right shape/size with online gaging. Is that possible with gigacasting? Its definitely a new/different challenge. With blocks and heads, they either leak or they don't. The wall thickness of a cylinder block water jacket doesn't change the crashworthiness of a vehicle because that entire assembly breaks at the engine mounts. Suspension pickup points with high porosity on a large, cast subframe could have much lower strength and thus fail differently than how the crash testing says it should.

Trob20

Fan
Reactions

Under the contract, LG Energy Solution will supply automotive battery modules at an annual capacity of 20GWh starting from 2025. The battery modules, consisting of high-nickel NCMA (nickel, cobalt, manganese, aluminum) pouch-type cells, will be manufactured in LG Energy Solution’s Michigan facility.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

The two concept models―the SUV-type FT-3e and the sporty FT-Se―will present a future transformed by electrification and intelligence, along with the new experience value offered by cars.

1697467240946.png

1697467260583.png

Trob20

Fan
Reactions

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The side mounted screen for displaying charging status is cool but also very gimmicky. Easy to damage and expensive to repair. Why not just add indicator lights or a small screen on the charging port cover?

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
These two concepts were shown a while back in group photo rendering of the toyota and lexus future.