Toyota BZ4X

Will1991

Reactions
For Portugal it's quite well priced!

It's available in 3 specifications:
-Exclusive, at 49.695€
-Premium, at 52.895€
-Lounge, at 58.495€

Only the FWD version is available for now, the AWD will arrive at the end of the year when the 11kW AC charger is an option.

For reference, the base spec UX300e starts at 52.500€ and goes up to 65.000€. I know it's premium vs. non-premium, but the specification is not even in the same league... TMC needs to improve the specs, lower the price or remove the 300e from the offer.
It makes no sense to be offered at that price next to the competition (EQA for example) and it makes Lexus looks technically inferior.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
That will take a bite out of the ADMs some dealers might have been hoping for. Does this effect Lexus as well?
Lexus will lose the tax incentive when Toyota does.

The pricing of the bZ4x will very likely consider the lack of a tax credit so soon after launch. Toyota has always been pretty clear that the pricing is set based on what the market will bear rather than price to develop/build + profit margin.

It's funny, when I was researching my solar panel array, people from other states that had tax credits were getting much bigger rebates than I was. But when you look at what we were paying $/kW, we basically ended up at the same price because the solar companies were charging just a little bit more base price for the locations with big tax incentives than places without. They basically knew what amount people were willing to pay and catered the quote to that price and worked backwards.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

The pricing of the bZ4x will very likely consider the lack of a tax credit so soon after launch. Toyota has always been pretty clear that the pricing is set based on what the market will bear rather than price to develop/build + profit margin.

It's funny, when I was researching my solar panel array, people from other states that had tax credits were getting much bigger rebates than I was. But when you look at what we were paying $/kW, we basically ended up at the same price because the solar companies were charging just a little bit more base price for the locations with big tax incentives than places without. They basically knew what amount people were willing to pay and catered the quote to that price and worked backwards.
Free market always finds a way to price in subsidies. Subsidies almost never work for reducing prices. I find it funny so many people don't understand that.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions

So does the MSRP on the prime decrease?

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
So does the MSRP on the prime decrease?
I'm not entirely sure how Toyota handles that. I don't think we will see a big $7500 drop or anything that drastic... but I think they will maybe drop the starting price several thousand and maybe reconfigure the grades a bit. For example, SE grade could come with moonroof and Softex interior standard and the XSE comes with the tech packages, navigation, and rear heated seats as standard to go with a small decrease in starting price.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
so AWD version charges at 100kwh max, while FWD does 150 kwh. Difference in charging between 30m and 60m for 10%-80%

Apparently due to different chemistries.

I wonder why they try sometimes, if they cant make it work, they should have just made FWD version.
Also vehicle does not stop fully using even stronger regen mode, it creeps like automatic transmission.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
If you are a toyota fan, THIS IS ABSOLUTELY YOUR NEXT EV RAV4 REPLACEMENT!!!

If you are an EV owner or are well-versed in the landscape of EVs not soo much.
  • It lacks a front trunk, though it’s not alone on that front. But the extreme compactness of an electric drivetrain makes extra storage entirely possible with careful use of space.
  • It doesn’t offer the Plug And Charge software that lets drivers simply plug in and walk away, with all billing handled seamlessly on the back end.
  • A maximum charging rate of up to 150 kW (on the FWD version) is par for the course, but doesn’t approach the rates of up to 350 kW theoretically possible on the newest Hyundai and Kia entries.
  • It lacks useful power-out capability, with no 120-volt outlet to let passengers power electric accessories that draw more power than a USB port provides.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
so AWD version charges at 100kwh max, while FWD does 150 kwh. Difference in charging between 30m and 60m for 10%-80%

I wonder why they try sometimes, if they cant make it work, they should have just made FWD version.
Also vehicle does not stop fully using even stronger regen mode, it creeps like automatic transmission.
From motor1:
Due to what Toyota execs characterized as supply-chain challenges, the single- and dual-motor versions of the bZ4X use different battery cells from different makers. The base FWD model uses a 71.4-kilowatt-hour pack with cells from Panasonic, while the AWD version uses a Chinese-made battery pack of 72.8 kWh using CATL cells. This explains a difference in their charging rates: the front-drive model charges at rates up to a quoted 150 kilowatts, while the maximum possible rate quoted for the AWD pack is only 100 kW.

Side note:

batteries can be as durable as those in the company’s renowned hybrids, which often last 300,000 miles or more. Toyota says its “goal” for the bZ4X batteries is to retain 90 percent of their original capacity after 10 years, though that is not written into the warranty, which protects against complete battery failure for 8 years or 100,000 miles

Will1991

Reactions
I'm starting to believe this car will vary for each market.

For EU and JP I haven't read anything about the two different battery packs or two fast charging speeds:

-> JP

-> EU

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

What kind of world do you live in? Every EV manufacturer does that because no one battery supplier can supply every one of them and they want variety especially after seeing what a trainwreck LGChem became. And that includes Tesla.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I'm starting to believe this car will vary for each market.

For EU and JP I haven't read anything about the two different battery packs or two fast charging speeds:

-> JP

-> EU

That is interesting... I'll wait on more official press releases to see how this pans out. They seem to indicate 150kw standard for those markets.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
What kind of world do you live in? Every EV manufacturer does that because no one battery supplier can supply every one of them and they want variety especially after seeing what a trainwreck LGChem became. And that includes Tesla.

Huh?

You think it is ok for awd version of bz4x to have 100kw charging and fwd have 150kw charging?

I live in the world where i actually drive EV vehicle, and unless there is a huge warning, a lot of their customers will be very, verydisappointed in real life. What they are quoting right now is almost 2x slower charging 0-80%,.

This is not a city car.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Huh?

You think it is ok for awd version of bz4x to have 100kw charging and fwd have 150kw charging?

I live in the world where i actually drive EV vehicle, and unless there is a huge warning, a lot of their customers will be very, verydisappointed in real life. What they are quoting right now is almost 2x slower charging 0-80%,.

This is not a city car.
I guess you will pay more, get less, and be happy!

But in seriousness could it be, because the majority of sales based on internal metrics predicted the FWD will sell more due to lower entry cost? Give them the 150, they wont complain.