Tokyo Auto Salon 2024

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Mazda spirit racing.png

Don't know if this is legit or just BS, but they say the MSR Mazda 3 will get a new 2.5L turbo that's not the current 2.5T.

And with the MSR Miata they will apparently try to reach the same horsepower as their biofuel Miata that they are racing in Super Taikyu, which has around 200 hp.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Dare I say......this 1.6T L4 with new 8AT sounds and feels better than their flagship V35A + 10AT
It is in a chassis that weighs half as much and is in a platform that people are OK with considerable shock to the driver and shift shock. Plus, it's an actual motorsport engine. It wasn't designed to go into mainstream cars. They could tune the V35 and 10AT to drive that way in an LS. Very few people would want it because that isn't the kind of car it is.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
It is in a chassis that weighs half as much and is in a platform that people are OK with considerable shock to the driver and shift shock. Plus, it's an actual motorsport engine. It wasn't designed to go into mainstream cars. They could tune the V35 and 10AT to drive that way in an LS. Very few people would want it because that isn't the kind of car it is.

I was talking mainly its overall feel to be much like the B58 + ZF8 combo, particularly the high revving turbo engine and short ratio gearing.
The LS shifted very lazy and sounded like a diesel truck.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Screenshot_2024-01-19-19-00-39-29_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Mazda is bringing back their rotary engine development team to develop the powertrain for the Iconic SP.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I was talking mainly its overall feel to be much like the B58 + ZF8 combo, particularly the high revving turbo engine and short ratio gearing.
The LS shifted very lazy and sounded like a diesel truck.
The LS has always had lazy shifting (aside from the more aggressive 1->2 in the 2021+), but I've never heard a diesel truck that sounds like the V35A.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

I like how Subaru is pretending this pile is something really special lol, the price is 6.237 million yen which is almost 1 million yen more expensive than a Japanese-spec GR Corolla (5.25 million yen) which has the carbon fiber roof, forged BBS wheels, hood bulge with vents and Torsen LSDs as standard, and if you for some reason want to buy this fugly, underpowered and overpriced thing, you can only get this car through their lottery system. Previously, Subaru only does this lottery system for the special editions of their real STI models that actually get some noticeable performance upgrades to the engine, chassis, brakes, aero and suspension. Subaru's standards really keeps sliding lower and lower with each passing year.

Last edited:

qtb007

Follower
Reactions

I like how Subaru is pretending this pile is something really special lol, the price is 6.237 million yen which is almost 1 million yen more expensive than a Japanese-spec GR Corolla (5.25 million yen) which has the carbon fiber roof, forged BBS wheels, hood bulge with vents and Torsen LSDs as standard, and if you for some reason want to buy this fugly, underpowered and overpriced thing, you can only get this car through their lottery system. Previously, Subaru only does this lottery system for the special editions of their real STI models that actually get some noticeable performance upgrades to the engine, chassis, brakes, aero and suspension.Subaru's standards really keeps sliding lower and lower with each passing year.
I'm reading on the Subaru forums from someone that has pretty good connections at SOA. This guy has mentioned a few times that he's heard that Subaru is starving the WRX and it will die like the STI did. They'll give it just enough special editions and upgrades to not be a total sales flop for this generation, but we won't see the return of a WRX with LSDs, more power, or a transmission that can handle more torque.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I'm reading on the Subaru forums from someone that has pretty good connections at SOA. This guy has mentioned a few times that he's heard that Subaru is starving the WRX and it will die like the STI did. They'll give it just enough special editions and upgrades to not be a total sales flop for this generation, but we won't see the return of a WRX with LSDs, more power, or a transmission that can handle more torque.
At this point, I'd be more surprised if the WRX doesn't also die in such a sad and lame way, based on the direction that Subaru has been heading towards. Their ARA WRX rally car and 24 hours of Nurburgring WRX endurance racer are both so highly modified that they barely represent the WRX that one can buy off the showroom floor, and with those “special editions” it's all just giving their fans false hope to keep them within the Subaru brand as long as they possibly can, until the day Subaru completely kills off the WRX.