The Official "I'm Struggling with Lexus" Thread

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
How would Lexus get you excited and return to the fold? What would be your budget and requirements/wants?

Deusex

Follower
Reactions
Not been on the forum in an age because the product doesn't interest me. The electric concept is exactly that, a concept. Meanwhile Toyota seem to have a new and futuristic model every couple of months.

The NX just seems underwhelming, it's like the car we should have had 3 years ago and it's just showing up.

The LC is starting to look dated, the interior is being left behind infotainment wise. Just look at the UI on those new Genesis cars that cost a fraction of the price.

The new LX is looking more and more like a pig with lipstick on, it really is a disaster of a vehicle with no class. I often complain that they don't even attempt to sell it in Europe, but when you look at the composed and luxurious competitors then it's no wonder. I get that it's a truly functional off-roader, but who is actually taking these things off-road? Look at something like an Audi Q8 compared to it.

LS is still limping along, everyone is still lamenting no V8 option.

Meh all round sadly.
Im thinking same like you, but what is the alternative?

I was looking at the Porsche Cayenne as it has high reliability score but the interior hasn't changed much also for some time. Not as modern as lets say MB.

Mercedes has nice modern interiors but reliability is a crap. My sister has a 2020 MB GL AMG Coupe, and already she had to replace the whole dashboard which is that huge screen, on top of other minor issues.

I like the new Cadillac Escalade, big, powerful, best interior I have seen, but how long will this 100K car last? Will you take the chance for 100K? I wont.

I wont even mention BMW, Audi, Lincoln, etc. because we know how crap reliable those brands are.

So what is the alternative If I may ask you again?

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Im thinking same like you, but what is the alternative?

I was looking at the Porsche Cayenne as it has high reliability score but the interior hasn't changed much also for some time. Not as modern as lets say MB.

Mercedes has nice modern interiors but reliability is a crap. My sister has a 2020 MB GL AMG Coupe, and already she had to replace the whole dashboard which is that huge screen, on top of other minor issues.

I like the new Cadillac Escalade, big, powerful, best interior I have seen, but how long will this 100K car last? Will you take the chance for 100K? I wont.

I wont even mention BMW, Audi, Lincoln, etc. because we know how crap reliable those brands are.

So what is the alternative If I may ask you again?
I mean.. the Porsche interior is definitely a lot more modern than what Lexus offers in the midsize segment right now with the GX and RX. The Escalade should be reliable it has GMs tested and proven 6.2. And both BMW and Audi have improved their reliability a ton in the past year. BMW especially with their B58s having perfected the turbo-i6 formula for power and reliability. There are definitely many alternatives in the segments.

Reactions
I mean.. the Porsche interior is definitely a lot more modern than what Lexus offers in the midsize segment right now with the GX and RX. The Escalade should be reliable it has GMs tested and proven 6.2. And both BMW and Audi have improved their reliability a ton in the past year. BMW especially with their B58s having perfected the turbo-i6 formula for power and reliability. There are definitely many alternatives in the segments.

Yeah BMW's reliability is one of the best now, I don't get why they said that BMW is crap.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
B48 and B58 are the most optimized ICE ever made. Perfect balance of power, response, efficiency, sophistication, cost and reliability. Serviceability is hard to say since I haven't worked on the engines.

The only engines that come close to their level of optimization are Mazda's 2.5 Skyactiv-G and Toyota's A25A-FXS.

Will1991

Reactions
I'm not getting it now...

We're, after the LFA era, in the most exciting time to be a Lexus enthusiast!

Lexus is making the amazing IS500, the new NX is just coming to dealers with an huge leap forward and signaling a complete new Lexus philosophy, finally we’re getting a good and up to date infotainment, we’re getting a >300hp PHEV NX, soon we will get a proper BEV built in a dedicated platform, the next LX showed up in some spy shots and if the new LC300 is any indication it will be epic, a new RX with a PHEV powertrain and a new 500h Hybrid (according to trademarks) engine shouldn’t take long… What more do you want to feel excited about Lexus?

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
Get me exited and back to the fold?

Something luxurious with performance and NEW technology. Price does not matter…

PS still a Lexus owner but also bought a new Porsche.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
What more do you want to feel excited about Lexus?
TTV8! It's going to bring world peace and stop all suffering /s

If we are to opine from a completely objective stand point this thread will mostly be complaining about RX-L having useless 3rd row, UX being too small, not having a subcompact BX and LWB GA-C sedan, poor package offers like no vented seats on F-Sport or bad standard stereo without Mark Levinson. You know, things that Lexus is really struggling with. But this is "I'm struggling" thread so people are not meant to make fully reasoned complains.

Deusex

Follower
Reactions
Your reply sounds more like an opinion, not fact based answer.

Porsche interior hasn't changed for years. Please don't tell me it is in any way modern looking.

When it comes to other brand reliability quick search will yield this -

...The BMW Reliability Rating is 2.5 out of 5.0... BMW models are typically rated average or below average by car magazines and hobbyists...The average annual repair cost for a BMW is $968...
...The Cadillac Escalade Reliability Rating is 2.5 out of 5.0... The average annual repair cost is $1,007...
...The Audi Reliability Rating is 3.0 out of 5.0, which ranks it 28th out of 32, The average annual repair cost for a Audi is $987...

...The Lexus Reliability Rating is 4.0 out of 5.0... The average annual repair cost for a Lexus is $551...

if other brands are so good why aren't you on other forum then? why being here? I have my complains about Lexus too,
but what are the alternatives, if I may ask again?

Land Lover? Bentley Bentayga? I don't thinks so.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
if other brands are so good why aren't you on other forum then? why being here? I have my complains about Lexus too,
but what are the alternatives, if I may ask again?
Sir I ask you kindly to check the forum you're in and the forum thread you're responding to. We are all Lexus Enthusiasts here, and this thread is specifically designed for us unhappy with Lexus' current management/products to voice our opinions. That's why I'm here. And yes, I am also on other forums as well.

And regarding the Porsche interior topic.. the Cayenne was redesigned in 2018 with a brand new interior and many other models followed. Lmao. There is no way you're about to say Lexus has more modern interior when that is one of the most popular complaints about current Lexus models

And I can provide this as well. "Lexus ranks highest in overall vehicle dependability among all brands, with a score of 81 PP100. This is the ninth time in 10 years that Lexus ranks highest. Porsche (86 PP100) ranks second, followed by Kia (97 PP100), Toyota (98 PP100), Buick (100 PP100) and Cadillac (also 100 PP100)."

^ straight from J.D. Power, a rather well respected source.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Sir I ask you kindly to check the forum you're in and the forum thread you're responding to. We are all Lexus Enthusiasts here, and this thread is specifically designed for us unhappy with Lexus' current management/products to voice our opinions. That's why I'm here. And yes, I am also on other forums as well.

And regarding the Porsche interior topic.. the Cayenne was redesigned in 2018 with a brand new interior and many other models followed. Lmao. There is no way you're about to say Lexus has more modern interior when that is one of the most popular complaints about current Lexus models

And I can provide this as well. "Lexus ranks highest in overall vehicle dependability among all brands, with a score of 81 PP100. This is the ninth time in 10 years that Lexus ranks highest. Porsche (86 PP100) ranks second, followed by Kia (97 PP100), Toyota (98 PP100), Buick (100 PP100) and Cadillac (also 100 PP100)."

^ straight from J.D. Power, a rather well respected source.

The study, now in its 32nd year, measures the number of problems per 100 vehicles (PP100) experienced during the past 12 months by original owners of three-year-old vehicles.

That’s a pretty narrow and strange definition of long term dependability.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I was about to say lol... every new Porsche has a far more modern interior than any current Lexus, whether it's the gauge cluster screens or infotainment.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
I was about to say lol... every new Porsche has a far more modern interior than any current Lexus, whether it's the gauge cluster screens or infotainment.
Yeah as far as tech goes, the current crop of products seem to be behind in refinement. To the High Net Worth Individuals Lexus prolly wants to attract, they really wanna be coddled in gimmicks and easy to use tech, reliability and even repairability is generally an afterthought considering how frequently they'll swap through their vehicles. I like to think the changes to the new NX is a starting point to make their higher end products much more appealing to these customers, buuut, we'll have to wait and see.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I think it’s important to remember unfortunately an enthusiast is the vast minority and shrinking. In the past ten years we have seen CUV’s and SUV’s take over completely and EV’s become a viable option (though still 2% of sales). Also a lot of brands moved from touchscreen to pads and controls. So I can imagine a business plan or thought process had to change and that is why things are so late. Let us also remember quality slows things down.

The NX is a good indicator they listened and are fixing things and we all know a lot of new product is coming. Hopeufllly this helps people disappointed with the project lag.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
I think it’s important to remember unfortunately an enthusiast is the vast minority and shrinking. In the past ten years we have seen CUV’s and SUV’s take over completely and EV’s become a viable option (though still 2% of sales). Also a lot of brands moved from touchscreen to pads and controls. So I can imagine a business plan or thought process had to change and that is why things are so late. Let us also remember quality slows things down.

The NX is a good indicator they listened and are fixing things and we all know a lot of new product is coming. Hopeufllly this helps people disappointed with the project lag.
Agreed. As much as I don't like waiting for things, it's very apparent that anything Lexus wants to do, they'll take their sweet time to make sure they bring out the best of their ideas, even if they come in a little late to the party, the result usually ends up being well worth the wait.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Let us remember too especially in particular SUVs no matter early (LX or RX) or late (NX upcoming stuff) Lexus usually nails it. If we all remember we complained how late they were with the NX and it’s always among best selling in class.