The Official "I'm Struggling with Lexus" Thread

Reactions
Yes I am in Spain and Im entitled to attack any product manfr who lies about their product Lexus included. Theres nothing strange in what Im explaining. You dont understand because youre a Lexus employee, therefore not in your interst to do so. Now I know youre aware of my complaints from the beginning of this circus , it has stirred me into continuing to spread the true facts across the internet through other forums and blogs in the hopes it will warn others, considering buying a Lexus to think twice and research deeper to know that what they get after purchase is not whats advertised. Perhaps it will reach the myopic eyes of Lexus and they'll change their attitudes to be decent and honest in their advertising .
Now I have your attention and those of whoever is following this factual disclosing thread. Lexus was NOT honest to anyone anywhere in the world. Specifically , the Lexus official dealer in Malaga Spain did not ever mention such a video, and more to the point did not warn me that the installed sytem was primitive and useless . They did say at point of sale ..tintimating that I should be pleased at this improvement . Textually "There is a new free upgrade available to add many additional benefits and performance to the installed system" what they didn't say, That it was to replace the useless unfit for purpose system installed , and worse that it would require an expensive data consuming smart phone internet connection, with a cable straggling across the centre console to a loose smartphone. A most undesirable situation .
A proper modern interested manufacturers response, would better have been to replace the useless system entirely. Free of charge , apologizing for the error and inconvenience to the owner. Then fact they didnt , signifies theyre incapable, so the new models you push will be equally deficient in this particular aspect.

I don't know what your personal standards are , but theyre far removed from mine in this aspect or you would be consoling me . But you'd be fired, so I accept your position.

<if you want to risk losing another issue, thats of why this Hybrid is useless and a waste of money to buy, and will gurantee continuing losses until its scrapped . I invite you, or anyone else reading this to start a new thread on the Hybrid subject .

Will1991

Reactions
You dont understand because youre a Lexus employee, therefore not in your interst to do so.

No, I'm not.

Now I have your attention and those of whoever is following this factual disclosing thread.

You *had* my atention, but lost it now since you just keep saying the same thing about Lexus Spain lying to you despite anyone could find all the official information on the actual Lexus website... And if you can't see that, I'm not even trying to explain how your car hybrid systems work.

If indeed your salesman lied to you, you should talk to a lawyer and present a written complaint.
Other than this, it just seems you want some free cash.

I'm done with this conversation.

Reactions
Your attention served only to provide a suitable platform upon which to air my justifiable grievances. Defending the useless installed system seems to indicate you have a financial attachment to Lexus . either as an employee which I suspect you are, or a dealer. i You could not be a passive owner for you would be disappointed as I in what Lexus palmed you off with .

Please dont waste your time responding . The platform served its purpose. Thank you for the opportunity

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Your attention served only to provide a suitable platform upon which to air my justifiable grievances. Defending the useless installed system seems to indicate you have a financial attachment to Lexus . either as an employee which I suspect you are, or a dealer. i You could not be a passive owner for you would be disappointed as I in what Lexus palmed you off with .

So you did no online research beforehand and didn't take a test drive? Most people are more careful about major purchases.

Reactions
apñologies Ian I thought i was replying will1991.

Of course I researched and test drive. Typically I was testing the drive, acceleration and stablity. I didnt take it for a week andcheck every detail I dont review for a magazine Im a surgeon and have better ways to pass time .

Levi

Expert
Reactions
if the Lexus NX is not good, which I personally agree with, the hybrid is not good, anything else will be only worse. maybe get a low kms Infiniti EX 30d? i'd get one.

Reactions
Ian . Its not the graphics - we re talking standard Lexus crap system - the GPS is really inaccurate. Commonly instructing to left turn on a european highway -autoroute - where no left turn exists in thousands of miles . inventing nonexistent streets and some missing , Rerouting in cities within seconds . Contrasting with a google maps or Waze in the same instant that don'tcall for the erroneous turns etc.
The speech system doesnt accept instructions properly every time , in fact probably only about 60% .

It took the main distributor in Malaga Spain 10 months to install this 'upgrade' . Hardly acceptable in a new luxury end car. Now the dealer fiddled with it to 'install' this plug in Android system , it doesnt load the telephone contacts. Expecting the dealer to fix that worries me for it ll take days and no doubt cause more problems - a sign of poor distributor training -- another negative criticism of Lexus Spain.

My other older Lexus is in the US, cared for by Germain Lexus Florida who are amazingly attentive and perfect. The comparison to Spain is odious. Theyre in another league worlds apart .

James

Founding Member
Reactions
As with any new item that comes out we will never have 100% people happy. That's how life goes. Some will always want it faster, bigger, better MPG, etc and that's totally okay. But for true Lexus fans to not be ecstatic about how this week turns out I honestly don't know what to say. This has easily been the most exciting week for Lexus in at least a decade and maybe longer (truly more exciting to me than LFA just because what were the chances of getting one of those!)! How many more posts and looks has this site received in the last 48 hours? I know the NX reveal slipped a little early but hell embrace it all right now! The irons are hot keep it coming! If we have this much excitement for their entry level cars in IS and NX what is coming with the rest of the lineup and future.

Maybe this thread that I created, thanks to Gecko moving me over, will one day soon be dead and all the posts on here we will all laugh about where we were a year ago!

Reactions
I m not a fan of anything let alone a car. If it serves the purpose and performs as advertised, that will suffice. It's a machine that when it requires replacement , there'll be another label to consider. Getting attached to a label would be a mistake, as in this case. The NX is a failure, both technologically; as in the electronic display device, and as a Hybrid, for it serves no useful purpose.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The NX is a failure, both technologically; as in the electronic display device, and as a Hybrid, for it serves no useful purpose.

Sorry, you realize this thing is a car, right?

I'm not even sure what you're talking about, or so angry about.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Have your car checked out thoroughly by the dealer. Let them know the fuel economy is extremely out of factory claimed numbers and describe your driving style and use case so they could diagnose it. This is a serious advice.

I've returned 4.6L/100km on ES300h (4.7L/100km advertised), 6.6L/100km on NX200t (7.1L/100km advertised) and 8.3L/100km on ES350 (8.9L/100km advertised) over long term in combined city/highway driving. So yes it is even possible to beat the very optimistic EUDC numbers they advertise. So 11L/100km on NX300h (that's 66% more than I observed on the petrol-only NX200t) while not impossible, it's more likely there's a malfunction with your car. I have NEVER seen a hybrid with that kind of fuel economy (the worst I've had is ~9L/100km on RX450h over 40km) unless it's used frequently for towing or carrying cargo.

Mind you that in a full hybrid (non plug-in) the battery is not meant to be depleted repeatedly in EV mode. Letting the computer manage SoC in HV mode is much better than manually draining the battery in EV mode and waiting for it to charge (that's one way to destroy your fuel economy AND battery life). The battery is small is not a bug but a feature (so that the battery could be cycled very rapidly and maintain SoC near the optimal point as much as possible).

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
@Command1, I detect some confirmation bias in your comments. It seems to me that you are disappointed with your NX and are now searching for any little issue that will confirm your upset.

I do not drive a NX 300h but I do drive an ES 300h, which has the same hybrid powertrain as the NX 300h. I have had it for over 6 years now and have decided that I will not drive any non-electrified cars any more. I am having trouble imagining 11L/100km fuel consumption. Perhaps that is an instantaneous reading on the car computer, driving with a heavy foot? On an extended road trip 2 summers ago, I averaged 6L/100km with a fully loaded car of 5 passengers and luggage. I get at least equal -- if not better -- fuel consumption on my ES Hybrid as I did on my previous car, a Toyota Corolla, and the ES is a much larger car.

I believe that you misunderstand how the Toyota Hybrid powertrain works. You state that it is inefficient to let the battery drain so that the car then has to drag around a heavy, yet completely discharged (empty) battery. That is not how Toyota hybrid powertrains work; German (Mercedes-Benz, BMW, VW) parallel hybrids may work like that but not Toyota hybrids.

Parallel hybrids have only 1 motor-generator so the powertrain is either running the electric motor (or assist the internal combustion engine) to drive the vehicle, or it is being driven by the engine as a generator to recharge the battery. It is possible that the electric motor will be running and draining the battery but the powertrain does not get an opportunity to recharge the battery, until the battery is empty, at which time the combustion engine starts to drive the vehicle and turn the motor-generator as a generator to recharge the empty battery.

Toyota's series-parallel hybrid powertrains, however, are different. With 2 motor-generators, 1 motor drives the vehicle and the other may be driven by the engine as a generator; it is possible to drive with the motor and recharge (top up) the battery at the same time. Any spare power from the combustion engine that is not required to drive the vehicle is diverted to charging the battery. With Toyota's series-parallel hybrid powertrain, the battery is very unlikely to drain to completely empty, unless there is something wrong with the powertrain.

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
Checking in, been away from the forum for a while.

Lexus used to be something special.

It started with the LS. Then the hybrid GS a remarkable car for its time. The RX set the standards for SUV:s. Iconic LFA and the other F:s including the RC and the GS also set a mark. Lexus experience included luxuary, perfection, inovation and even performance before its time.

And now Lexus is nothing special anymore.

No pure electric cars - UX is just it. No chargeable hybrids in the former segment in the premium world in the former LS and RX class. IS V8 is a product of the past.

Lexus first missed out on developing performance SUV:s. Then missed the next race for chargeable hybrids. And now on pure electric cars in all segments.

In my country there is now a lot of Lexus taxi cars, most of them ES. Marketing is about for example roof boxes for your Lexus. No premium feel anymore. Even the LC 500 begins to feel dated and lacking in new technology. Volvo, Wolkswagen and Toyota feels more modern and up to date. Tax incentives and environmental demands in europe also kills the current lineup and there are better alternatives to the electric UX and upgrades of existing Lexus models.

The news on this webbsite gives a good sample of Lexus sorry state of today.

A few speculative spyshots, renderings, collision assistance in the US and NX lineup on the track (!)

Sorry, gentlemen, but it is a mess, destroying a good brand.

But, still, I hope for a miracle, but a little less trust for the brand than I used to have.

Last edited:

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Not been on the forum in an age because the product doesn't interest me. The electric concept is exactly that, a concept. Meanwhile Toyota seem to have a new and futuristic model every couple of months.

The NX just seems underwhelming, it's like the car we should have had 3 years ago and it's just showing up.

The LC is starting to look dated, the interior is being left behind infotainment wise. Just look at the UI on those new Genesis cars that cost a fraction of the price.

The new LX is looking more and more like a pig with lipstick on, it really is a disaster of a vehicle with no class. I often complain that they don't even attempt to sell it in Europe, but when you look at the composed and luxurious competitors then it's no wonder. I get that it's a truly functional off-roader, but who is actually taking these things off-road? Look at something like an Audi Q8 compared to it.

LS is still limping along, everyone is still lamenting no V8 option.

Meh all round sadly.