The Next Generation of Lexus Through 2020

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
The 150-Series Prado gets Toyota Safety Sense this autumn, so why wouldn't the GX?

IMHO, European Auris and worldwide Corolla are likely going to be 1yr early than their NA versions, as usual. I expect Auris unveil by the end of the year considering they did nothing to it in past 2 years and it is one of the European best sellers. Japanese RAV4 for WW might also come earlier, but not by one year.

Now I am more interested in models for us in Europe, like small crossover, Avensis and Verso... I wonder what will happen with Avensis and Verso.

Oh yes, that is very much expected regarding the Corolla. Definitely 2018 launch for Auris and Corolla. There is a different program code for the non-American version, likely the JDM car.

A 66-72 month cycle for the RAV4 makes sense, so I expect it will arrive before the end of 2018, but no sooner. The current RAV4 began production in November 2012, while its predecessor was 7 years before that in November 2005. I wouldn't expect a new one unveiled this year.

As for the Avensis, I feel like I had seen something about it in my research. Pulling out of the D segment in Europe sensible, as they would really do well to improve the Avensis. The Verso is being replaced by the C-HR, developed under 560A?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
As for the Avensis, I feel like I had seen something about it in my research. Pulling out of the D segment in Europe sensible, as they would really do well to improve the Avensis. The Verso is being replaced by the C-HR, developed under 560A?

Yes, Rav4 makes sense late 2018, sales early 2019. As to the Avensis there were mules, but I am having hard time imaging it staying like today. It makes no sense to have EU only model that sells 25k-35k per year total. They will have to combine it with some other model.

As to Verso, there were rumors about it getting FMC too, which was surprising... but maybe it shouldn't be as these kinds of models are still popular in Asia and Japan, so it could be based on something existing but with new interior.

C-HR is selling like hotcakes in Europe, it is a home run for Toyota... same goes for Japan. I hope they realize this will increase both sales and profits, to do near-Lexus level premium vehicles that justify higher price tag... new Camry is very encouraging, so is C-HR, lets home same level of thought goes into next generation RAV4 as well as Prado and 200.

Reactions
Hey all! I am going to be that guy again. Sorry to bump such an old thread, but do we have any updates for the coming years? Let's make an informative list of what's going on. So, we have the LC/LS and UX out of the equation, because they're released.

To begin, new IS? RC? GX? RX? Anything new from insiders or dealers? I thought since it is almost a year later we could pool more information into this thread.

I know for a fact that the next generation ES should be popping in an auto show in the very near future. Do you think the 10 speed transmission will appear here? What about the Multi-Stage Hybrid? And also, a powerful V6/I4? I know this next one is a stretch, but RWD?

I genuinely cannot wait for Lexus cars in the future. And again, I apologize for being that guy and bumping, just a passionate Lexus fan. ;) <3

Last edited:
Reactions
Oh hello what do we have here? Found an article here from thedrive.com of the 2019 ES spied in Kentucky near the TMMK factory.

http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/18697/2019-lexus-es-apparently-caught-testing-in-kentucky

And looking at that dash to axle ratio, it is clearly FWD. I cannot tell if it has an AWD system. Usually, there would be haunches in the front and rear of the car to indicate AWD. I cannot tell however.

The article also noted how the infotainment system protrudes out a little similar to the Avalon. Are they making their infotainment system touchscreen now? I doubt they would do that after all the improvements they made to the Remote Touch Interface. I guess they are giving in to all the criticisms of all the reviewers.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Hey all! I am going to be that guy again. Sorry to bump such an old thread, but do we have any updates for the coming years? Let's make an informative list of what's going on. So, we have the LC/LS and UX out of the equation, because they're released.

To begin, new IS? RC? GX? RX? Anything new from insiders or dealers? I thought since it is almost a year later we could pool more information into this thread.

I know for a fact that the next generation ES should be popping in an auto show in the very near future. Do you think the 10 speed transmission will appear here? What about the Multi-Stage Hybrid? And also, a powerful V6/I4? I know this next one is a stretch, but RWD?

I genuinely cannot wait for Lexus cars in the future. And again, I apologize for being that guy and bumping, just a passionate Lexus fan. ;) <3
I feel the same! I am wondering on the future of some Lexus vehicles? GS done? What about the GX? What about the new engine options? I just looked at BMW and the M5 gets 600hp and like 3.2 0-60...man Lexus needs a new V-8 engine badly, probably two...

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Oh hello what do we have here? Found an article here from thedrive.com of the 2019 ES spied in Kentucky near the TMMK factory.

http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/18697/2019-lexus-es-apparently-caught-testing-in-kentucky
Wow! For me, the big shocker is how similar it looks to the current 6ES. I had to look at the date of that The Drive article to make sure that F1 Silver Arrows hadn't inadvertently dug up an old article and posted a camoed 6ES instead. It's especially surprising that with both big sedan brother 5LS and fraternal twin 5th-gen Toyota Avalon being such clean aesthetic breaks from their predecessors, 7ES hews so close to what came before. Perhaps Lexus thinks this is how far they can push ES styling without alienating its conservative North American and Chinese clientele?

At any rate, here are some of those pictures posted on The Drive:

message-editor%2F1519298279950-eg4lgwi22lh011.jpg

message-editor%2F1519301325488-unnamed-.jpg

message-editor%2F1519298752464-unnamed-3.jpg

message-editor%2F1519300473575-unnamed-6.jpg

Reactions
You say that, and I agree with that too. But don't you realize something else from a while ago? Do you remember that carscoops rendering of the 2019 ES? It looks unbelievably similar to this. The tail-lights, the grille, the side slits (or intake), that straight belt line that flows to the C-Pillar.

What makes me believe that they're honestly legitimate is that they did the same exact thing with the 2018 Toyota Camry. It looked bang on the same. Their newest FT-AC rendering really does look production too. I really think we can look up to this website for further clues.

Last edited:
Reactions
Carscoops-2019-Lexus-ES-0.jpg

proxy.php,qimage=https,P3A,P2F,P2Fs3.amazonaws.com,P2Fthe-drive-staging,P2Fmessage-editor,P252F1519298752464-unnamed-3.jpg,ahash=89fb0e0bbdb0e76559ad2edc4a0651c8.pagespeed.ce.HRe1vkjuhM.jpg

xproxy.php,qimage=https,P3A,P2F,P2Fs3.amazonaws.com,P2Fthe-drive-staging,P2Fmessage-editor,P252F1519298279950-eg4lgwi22lh011.jpg,ahash=58eadfa6dcaafec0d38f4cdc00246eb4.pagespeed.ic.EVrZaHBYfx.webp

I agree RAL. But don't you think this design is stunning nonetheless? This mule looks so similar to the rendering, and if it goes by that, boy would I be interested if it had AWD/RWD. But they still are keen to hold on to the FWD proportions. Not my cup of tea. If it has 301 horsepower from that V6 to the front wheels. Many people are going to complain about torque steer, just like they did from the Camry.