mikeavelli

Reactions
The naming convention is getting embarrassing - where do you draw a line. It's on par with Audi's bizarre 30, 40 etc numbers slapped on the rear that don't mean anything.

One thing I have to say about the LM is it really shows just how incompetent Lexus are as a brand to promote themselves.

Where are all the YouTubers? Where is the SuperCar Blondie video (although I despise her content she serves purpose in promotional terms)? YouTube coverage of the LM right now is a couple of Lexus channel videos and then Japanese people looking around it.

What other car brand would have a completely new model launch in a completely new territory and not bother to try and drum up any kind of hype for it at all?

Any other car brand I see, especially zee Germans, seem to have all the YouTubers videos come online almost simultaneously to the press release and the YouTuber will be shooting in the photography studio with the new vehicle. I get that it's a product that won't appeal to many but Autogefuhl shot a video on the Maybach EQS SUV the other day - how many of them do they realistically plan to sell per calendar year?

It's a shame because I think people would genuinely be wow'd by the interior of the car and its features if pointed out by someone like SuperCar Blondie.

Ironically, the YouTube Ad that ran on the LM video I watched was for the Maxus Mifa- an EV minivan that's just launched in the UK by Chinese brand. Is that another sign the Chinese are set to dominate in the long run?

Okay where to start. LM is flagship line LC, LS, LX, LY.. numbers

Supercar blondie gets views for sure but it’s pretty bad stuff to watch. Pretty cringe.
The car was launched at the Shanghai Motor Show. No Youtubers. It’s also not sold everywhere.
The Benz EQS SUV is made in Alabama. Easier to do a media launch and a global car. Though no one likes it.

Interestingly enough I’ve run my numbers and talked to a few other sites and influencers and the LM launch was a huge lift in reach etc. It seems to be a hit with curiosity. And of course tons of people want to bash the styling lol.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
The bezels arent distinguishable like that unless youre taking photos from severe angles. The interior outperformed my expectations.
Agreed.
Lol that's why the LM is not coming to America. We nitpick a lot.
I would not say that it is Americans complaining a lot, just people who frequent internet enthusiast sites. The common buyer probably could not care less, nor even notice the size of the bezel.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
The naming convention is getting embarrassing - where do you draw a line. It's on par with Audi's bizarre 30, 40 etc numbers slapped on the rear that don't mean anything.

One thing I have to say about the LM is it really shows just how incompetent Lexus are as a brand to promote themselves.

Where are all the YouTubers? Where is the SuperCar Blondie video (although I despise her content she serves purpose in promotional terms)? YouTube coverage of the LM right now is a couple of Lexus channel videos and then Japanese people looking around it.

What other car brand would have a completely new model launch in a completely new territory and not bother to try and drum up any kind of hype for it at all?

Any other car brand I see, especially zee Germans, seem to have all the YouTubers videos come online almost simultaneously to the press release and the YouTuber will be shooting in the photography studio with the new vehicle. I get that it's a product that won't appeal to many but Autogefuhl shot a video on the Maybach EQS SUV the other day - how many of them do they realistically plan to sell per calendar year?

It's a shame because I think people would genuinely be wow'd by the interior of the car and its features if pointed out by someone like SuperCar Blondie.

Ironically, the YouTube Ad that ran on the LM video I watched was for the Maxus Mifa- an EV minivan that's just launched in the UK by Chinese brand. Is that another sign the Chinese are set to dominate in the long run?
I understand its fun to bash lexus here but this car was made with the China market in mind like the LX was made for the middle east in mind (and Lexus did contract supercarblondie to do the LX reveal since its sold internationally).

China doesn't have youtube, they banned it. They have their own online content and influencer ecosystems.

The LM does fine in that market, I've seen Angela Baby in the LM, she is quite the celebrity over there. Lexus China's marketing team may well be incompetent but they certainly aren't so simply because you didn't see something.

With that said the LM500 looks very cool, quality, and luxury. A big upgrade from LM300h.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Okay so maybe I bashed Lexus for what is actually a European media problem - specifically their lack of interest in Lexus.

I think the instrument cluster looks good, as was said above, we don't all need 19 inch floating digital dashes. I do miss the Frankenstein's Monster drive mode selector design language around the cluster like LC/LS/UX.

My local Lexus dealer posted about the LM the other day and not a single positive comment underneath 😥. I just hope some people buy it so I can snap one up used (new price will most likely be prohibitive for me).

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Okay so maybe I bashed Lexus for what is actually a European media problem - specifically their lack of interest in Lexus.

I think the instrument cluster looks good, as was said above, we don't all need 19 inch floating digital dashes. I do miss the Frankenstein's Monster drive mode selector design language around the cluster like LC/LS/UX.

My local Lexus dealer posted about the LM the other day and not a single positive comment underneath 😥. I just hope some people buy it so I can snap one up used (new price will most likely be prohibitive for me).

Buick Electra E5

5.jpg
7.jpg

Lexus, when?

OK actually I couldn't care less about the LM coz it's all about the rear. After seeing how they've ruined the interior of our beloved LC, are they gonna put those glossy huge black border to all their future high-end products? I sincerely hope that's not the case.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Buick Electra E5

View attachment 6969
View attachment 6970

Lexus, when?

OK actually I couldn't care less about the LM coz it's all about the rear. After seeing how they've ruined the interior of our beloved LC, are they gonna put those glossy huge black border to all their future high-end products? I sincerely hope that's not the case.

Sorry am i being gaslighted or doesn't that car have huge bezels too

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Sorry am i being gaslighted or doesmt that car have huge bezels too

It sorta is though not as huge as those one found on the Lexus. And it's curved OLED going edge to edge.
My point is, either integrate into the dash, or if they wanna just place a tomb onto the center console, pls try to source a beautifully shaped, modern sleek-looking screen.

Caddy has one similar too but I find it kinda weird as this one has this sorta of dual layer thing. Nonetheless it's miles better than our Lexus 😢.
LG-P-OLED_Cadillac-01.jpg

Still

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Lexus should just get rid of MID and switch to the bZ4X style MID/HUD hybrid, or Ford Mach-E style minimalistic MID with a HUD. Just stop using that extremely outdated MID. The importance of modern gauge cluster is way overstated and they should either be completely replaced by HUD or shrink to display the minimal amount of information that's absolutely necessary for driving.

Anyone who has driven a Mach E knows that's a very very good idea.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Buick Electra E5

View attachment 6969
View attachment 6970

Lexus, when?
O

Lol okay, way to pwn me in one post 😂!

This looks epic, although as an avid CarPlay user (don't flame me with iPhone v Android plz) I do worry how it would integrate.

The display is crying out for Apple's next gen, all encompassing CarPlay integration where it also manages vehicle systems too.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Too bad GM is discontinuing CarPlay and Android Auto. Looks like Ford is going to be the launch partner for the next-gen CarPlay.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Yeah but you cant even drive it right onto the LY650 you have to disembark 'pon land and ambulate to the point of embarkation, like some downtrodden prole

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Refreshing that Mat didn't bash the styling and seemed really enthusiastic about the vehicle!

A lot of people base their opinions on what he says like Clarkson back in the day. (which is completely wrong but just how it goes).

On a sidenote, I now can't unsee the badge not being on the grill but being a chrome emblem on the bonnet instead.

I think it looks so much better like this and makes the rest of the Lexus lineup look like they need facelifts.

Last edited:

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
It looks like there will be a 6 and 7 seater variant of the LM. The UK press release only shows a black leather interior for the 7 seat variant of the LM with a central rear headrest and middle seat padding. The global press release shows the rear bench in cream leather with extra storage trays in the middle seat and no head rest (and only 2 seatbelts). I hope this doesn't mean that the LM will not get cream leather in 7 seat variant in the UK.

20230418_02_46.jpg20230418_02_62.jpg20230418_02_63.jpg

Last edited:

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
A Chinese press (YYP) who got the privilege to actually sat inside the car and had an interview with the chief engineer. No English sub though :cool:.

Last edited:

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
to actually sat inside the car

See earlier in thread - both Japanese YouTubers sat in the back and explored extensively as well as the front. I don't know why they were being so crappy with Mat Watson.

The colour grading of this video makes it looks much more silver in colour rather than the 'sonic titanium' type colour I think the LM has actually launched in.

One thing this video highlighted that I also saw in some press photos is just how long the area in front of the windscreen is. I think in side profile this doesn't look good but doubtless has something to do with cabin noise, safety and servicing as the original NH10 Alphards were notoriously tight under the engine bay.

I do much prefer the short nose of the old 1st gen NH10 Alphard and even NH20 Alphard. Thoughts?

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 15.45.33.png
Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 15.47.44.png

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Translation on some key points:
>>LM was developed from the scratch to be a Lexus flagship. The difference is last gen was Alphard first LM second, this gen is LM first Alphard second. The priority is LM.
>>Lexus spent a lot of effort on ergonomics of the interior. They used motion capture to gather data on what kind of movements people make when inside the car, and shaped the seats to allow those movements while also keeping the spine fixed in place. This is something competition have been unable to replicate because seat comfort is much much more than material and padding.
>>All the interior touch points like switches and opening storage boxes have the exact same feedback force. They found that people feel much more "premium" when they have consistent interactions with different touch points. The handle bar for entry was designed with over 100 prototypes to get the optimal feel when entering.
>>The details goes further down to the shades. They come from the top so when it opens, the VIP will immediately see what's outside from their eye level instead of waiting the entire shade to come down. The split horizontal sunroof is designed that way because VIPs want individual control of illumination (one person wants it open while the other doesn't).
>>The decision to go with hybrid-only is because even in China, EV charging infrastructure is only limited to developed places. They don't want to limit the VIP's movement to charger availability.
>>The LM was developed primarily based on feedback from Chinese market. But Lexus is seeing increasing interest in luxury minivans from international markets like ME and EU as well. The overall trend is VIPs are no longer interested in D-segment sedans because they want more space, and minivans are the perfect body shape for that.

My feeling is this is a true no-compromise flagship of Lexus. The amount of effort and attention to details is comparable to what they used to do on the original LS400. They are not trying to hide that no one wants D-segment sedans anymore. I think we know where this is going for the LS.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I do much prefer the short nose of the old 1st gen NH10 Alphard and even NH20 Alphard. Thoughts?
Japan have much less stringent collision regulations because speed limits are very low (most highways used to be 80 km/h!). This is why short nose minivans and cab over kei trucks can legally drive there. It's not possible to design a short nose minivan to pass collision tests in international markets especially Europe.

Reactions
My feeling is this is a true no-compromise flagship of Lexus. The amount of effort and attention to details is comparable to what they used to do on the original LS400. They are not trying to hide that no one wants D-segment sedans anymore. I think we know where this is going for the LS.
They definitely will not kill the LS if that's what you're insinuating.

For China? Perhaps. For the rest of the world? Definitely not.