Status
Not open for further replies.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Forget the notion of an August 2020 New York Auto Show marking the 2021 Lexus IS's public debut. The next NY Show won't happen until April 2021. Most likely we'll see either an online reveal akin to the 2021 Toyota Sienna/Venza debuts or just a straight-up news release.

With Paris also cancelled "in its current form", only 2 major auto shows remain on the 2020 calendar: Beijing in late September and Los Angeles in late November. Beijing is unlikely given IS's scant sales in that market, and L.A. is probably too late in the year.

Will1991

Reactions
cdf4d779342efd8fd313fba73a0ac51d.jpg

The IS "F" model, which was in the predecessor but is not available in the current model, will be added at Big My Chen in October.

The engine installed is a V8, 5LNA that generates 481ps / 54.6kgm. Now I want to fully enjoy the charm of the large displacement NA.
Google Translate

Well, it does seems to have a more coupe-look.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
do you have a link to the actual article
Found it.

Original Japanese article:
https://bestcarweb.jp/news/scoop/154773

Google translation to English:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&u=https://bestcarweb.jp/news/scoop/155011

I just figured out that Big My Chen = big model change (or major facelift). And this story suggests the return of a full-fledged IS F, as opposed to IS 500. I wish it were true, but I'm not counting on it. Oh, and the article suggests a debut on October 2020.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Very excited to see what the 2TLX SH-AWD has to offer. Reveal is on Thursday.

Didn't realize Acura Canada priced the top of the line (not that PMC version though) at $48k. So much cheaper than an I6 3IS and even the Genesis G70 3.3T.

If only Acura would put SH-AWD and P-AWS on the Type S...

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
From here: https://mag-x.jp/2020/05/25/13812/

We can see this:

Captura-de-ecr-2020-05-25-s-12-42-13.png

I would say it's a clear reference with a picture from an actual 4IS, could anyone help with the text translation?
Sorry I can't help with actual translation, but I don't think there's anything really new here except for that warm silver car with its nose camoed in yellow. This is probably just the recent MagX future IS stories we've discussed in this thread making their way from their website to the print edition.

I see PHEV somewhere there.
Look at the horizontal lines. It actually says EV within the IS cover blurb. (They're suggesting Lexus IS will eventually become a full EV in their recent stories). The PHEV is above the horizontal line and refers to a separate story (probably the next Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, going by the vehicle on the upper right corner of the illustration).

It says that the model lifecycle is getting extended for three years until the EV sedan is ready.
That was one of my possible guesses. Thanks for confirming it.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
Sorry I can't help with actual translation, but I don't think there's anything really new here except for that warm silver car with its nose camoed in yellow. This is probably just the recent MagX future IS stories we've discussed in this thread making their way from their website to the print edition.

Look at the horizontal lines. It actually says EV within the IS cover blurb. (They're suggesting Lexus IS will eventually become a full EV in their recent stories). The PHEV is above the horizontal line and refers to a separate story (probably the next Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, going by the vehicle on the upper right corner of the illustration).

That was one of my possible guesses. Thanks for confirming it.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
They also mentioned the LC-F development is 'coming to a rapid conclusion'. However, the word they use (急転直下) is neutral (something is rapidly heading towards a good or bad conclusion) so I guess we have to read the actual article to tell.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
They also mentioned the LC-F development is 'coming to a rapid conclusion'. However, the word they use (急転直下) is neutral (something is rapidly heading towards a good or bad conclusion) so I guess we have to read the actual article to tell.

BestCar also has article on both IS-F and LC-F coming before end of the year.

Another BC article about new IS writing how it is surprising how many changes are coming into the facelift, even the width of the car will change which is large investment for a facelift.

Keep in mind that JDM mags are known to change their mind, often and quick :)

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
BestCar also has article on both IS-F and LC-F coming before end of the year.

Another BC article about new IS writing how it is surprising how many changes are coming into the facelift, even the width of the car will change which is large investment for a facelift.

Keep in mind that JDM mags are known to change their mind, often and quick :)
Adding width is not usually associated with a mere facelift, unless it is only changing to wider front fenders. But if adding wider fenders also means an increase in the track, that is something more than a mere facelift.

And what about those other "many changes"? If there are many more changes, that could have involved much engineering work done on the car, meaning more planning and more time involved to get this model on the road. A mere facelift takes about 2 or so years to plan and engineer; a more significant change takes 4 or more years to plan and engineer.

Many changes suggests that this will be a new model or significant changes to the existing platform (without switching to the TNGA platform). But why continue the IS on its existing platform?

If this is a mere facelift that will keep the current model going for 2 or 3 years, I can understand. But if this is a significant change that keeps the current platform going for another 5 or 6 years, why do it? Why was the planning and engineering time and effort not put into a totally new car on a new platform?

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
Adding width is not usually associated with a mere facelift, unless it is only changing to wider front fenders. But if adding wider fenders also means an increase in the track, that is something more than a mere facelift.

And what about those other "many changes"? If there are many more changes, that could have involved much engineering work done on the car, meaning more planning and more time involved to get this model on the road. A mere facelift takes about 2 or so years to plan and engineer; a more significant change takes 4 or more years to plan and engineer.

Many changes suggests that this will be a new model or significant changes to the existing platform (without switching to the TNGA platform). But why continue the IS on its existing platform?

If this is a mere facelift that will keep the current model going for 2 or 3 years, I can understand. But if this is a significant change that keeps the current platform going for another 5 or 6 years, why do it? Why was the planning and engineering time and effort not put into a totally new car on a new platform?

I can only give my thoughts. The segment for Lexus is a sunset segment on a platform built only by Toyota. Takes a lot of forward thinking and a strong willed leader to phase something out. Lexus IS and GS will never gain the sales numbers that past models could achieve. Hybrid and fuel cell technology is the future for Toyota and Lexus and in 20-30 years, people will look back at Toyota and Lexus and remember the brand for their fuel saving tech vs their rwd cars that where never truly as great as a BMW 3 series etc. A partial refresh with a little more extensive changes is very profitable for Lexus. Meanwhile, the bulk of Toyota’s R & D go into the upcoming crossover and fuel saving technologies.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
If this is the swan song, why invest so much on a unibody RWD (unlike BOF vehicles that have wide margins) refresh. Lexus historically has prolonged their models indefinitely rather then refresh them like the last gen LS, current gen GX and LX, and the now dead GS. In some aspects, its the youngest of the oldest models in the Lexus fleet (behind the GX, LX, GS).

Status
Not open for further replies.