The All-New Lexus LC: First Drive in Spain

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Today at 8am PT/11am ET, I'll be publishing a full technical overview of the LC -- it's more than 3,000 words and 100 photos, so there should be something for everyone. My personal impressions will follow on Monday as to avoid information overload and maintain my sanity.

I figure we'll keep going with reviews from other outlets here and split my technical overview into its own thread -- can't wait to see what people think of this car!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-12-08-lexus-lc-hero-image.jpg

Here it is -- a full technical overview of the new Lexus coupe.
View the original article post

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Great job writing it up, Krew.
Obviously, the Sport Pkg with the CFRP roof kills the possibility, but does the standard vehicle have a panoramic sunroof?
This has to be the most complcated and advanced transmission is automotive history
Gonna be hard to find a better vehicle for sale in the U.S. under $100k.

WHEN this V8 goes LCF and gets twin-turbo charged to 600HP, at about $120k, this will be a much better car than the more luxury-minded S-Class Coupe.
BD

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Don't remember seeing a price in the details did they announce that yet? Maybe I missed something with be so excited reading this!!! Looks amazing sounds great I hope Lexus finally gets the reviews it deserves on a fast sporty car and then LS teaser same day...it's a great day to be a fan of Lexus!

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Was looking forward to the hybrid if they were the same price, if its within 5k I'll consider it but if its 10k more then I'll go with the v8. I have to admit I was very excited about this car but Lexus totally let me down with their horrible interior options. Rioja Red? That color is already played out. The mid-brown is ok but they need a beige. The only color that speaks to me is the Bespoke white so I will choose that color but mildly reluctant about it. There is also no exterior color that really makes a statement to me. Structural blue is what I might end up with.

Anybody else thinking what I'm thinking?

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
I hope Lexus finally gets the reviews it deserves on a fast sporty car and then LS teaser same day...it's a great day to be a fan of Lexus!

Almost all reviews I have seen so far are very positive. Some though give comments on the weight of the car and not all are fan of the hybrid transmission (still rather artificial apparently and doesn't seem to solve the problems of the E-CVT entirely).
Other small comments concern the small boot space and lack of space on the rear seats, but these are minor issues.

This LC may indeed be the car Lexus needs to improve the image, especially here in Europe.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Almost all reviews I have seen so far are very positive. Some though give comments on the weight of the car and not all are fan of the hybrid transmission (still rather artificial apparently and doesn't seem to solve the problems of the E-CVT entirely).
Other small comments concern the small boot space and lack of space on the rear seats, but these are minor issues.

This LC may indeed be the car Lexus needs to improve the image, especially here in Europe.

When I saw the LC in person, I asked to pop the trunk, there seemed to be ok space in the boot, I asked if it could fit a full size luggage and the attendant said yes. She also mentioned 1 (or maybe 2) golf bag storage.

I think the reason there is some difficulty accepting the hybrid is that its being compared directly against the v8 at this press event. Its very hard to like something that is heavier and less powerful and doesn't sound as good compared to the same exact car that does all three better.

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Don't remember seeing a price in the details did they announce that yet?

Prices are not fixed yet and we don't expect them before February/March. For the moment estimations are around € 100k for the hybrid and € 110k for the V8

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
I think the reason there is some difficulty accepting the hybrid is that its being compared directly against the v8 at this press event. Its very hard to like something that is heavier and less powerful and doesn't sound as good compared to the same exact car that does all three better.

I couldn't agree more. Here in Europe, we put the LC 500h against the BMW 640d and the LC 500 against the BMW 650i. I suppose press comments would have been the same testing both versions of the 6 series next to each other.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Nice interior design, not to cluttered or bling (BMW and Mercedes) and not too monotone simplistic (Audi and Jaguar). I also like the buttons from the pics.

In this class, unless it is a Maserati GranTurismo, there is no alternative (6 Series or S Coupe or Continental GT) IMO. The LC is best in class.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
The LC and the S-Class Coupe 550 are very different animals, but should be compared, even if they won't be directly cross-shopped
The LC is about 10 inches shorter and 425 lbs lighter, according to numbers provided yesterday by Jonny Lieberman at MT, who said the LC500 is 4280 lbs. Both claim a 4.5 second 0-60 time. MT got 4.2 out of the AWD 550 Coupe last year, and that was with the old 7-speed.

The LC has 22 more HP but over 100 lb-ft less torque. Lexus has the new 10-speed and Mercedes has their new 9-speed.
Even with similar mwheelbases, Lexus isn't competeing with over 42 inches of rear legroom in the S550 coupe.
The S550 Coupe starts at $122k and I expect this LC500 to start around $90k.

I would give Mercedes the advantage in interior luxury design, still leading the industry, but the Lexus the styling advantage outside for being more aggressive and sporty over the land yacht look of the Benz. These two cars will definitely attract two different demos. Lexus going after new money. Mercedes going after that old money, that LONG GREEN!
BD

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
There is also no exterior color that really makes a statement to me. Structural blue is what I might end up with.

Anybody else thinking what I'm thinking?

I find a few of the colors to be quite nice, but Flare Yellow really speaks to me. It personally just reminds me so much of an LFA. If I was ever buying an LC, I would definitely get it in Flare Yellow, because I'd always be reminded of the LFA every time I looked at it.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The LC and the S-Class Coupe 550 are very different animals, but should be compared, even if they won't be directly cross-shopped
The LC is about 10 inches shorter and 425 lbs lighter, according to numbers provided yesterday by Jonny Lieberman at MT, who said the LC500 is 4280 lbs. Both claim a 4.5 second 0-60 time. MT got 4.2 out of the AWD 550 Coupe last year, and that was with the old 7-speed.

The LC has 22 more HP but over 100 lb-ft less torque. Lexus has the new 10-speed and Mercedes has their new 9-speed.
Even with similar mwheelbases, Lexus isn't competeing with over 42 inches of rear legroom in the S550 coupe.
The S550 Coupe starts at $122k and I expect this LC500 to start around $90k.

I would give Mercedes the advantage in interior luxury design, still leading the industry, but the Lexus the styling advantage outside for being more aggressive and sporty over the land yacht look of the Benz. These two cars will definitely attract two different demos. Lexus going after new money. Mercedes going after that old money, that LONG GREEN!
BD

I have not driven the LC but in reading reviews it sounds like night and day. The S-class coupe is also gorgeous with tons of tech and luxury. It is not engaging and doesn't pretend to be a sports car. Which is fine , I love it for what it is (this is driving the S63 in mountain roads extensively). It also starts at 125k or so which is where the LC should end.

The size of the S-class though really still makes me feel its more of a true "flagship". Its a really really big coupe. The LC being so close in size to the RC is a bit of a head scratcher.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I have not driven the LC but in reading reviews it sounds like night and day. The S-class coupe is also gorgeous with tons of tech and luxury. It is not engaging and doesn't pretend to be a sports car. Which is fine , I love it for what it is (this is driving the S63 in mountain roads extensively). It also starts at 125k or so which is where the LC should end.

The size of the S-class though really still makes me feel its more of a true "flagship". Its a really really big coupe. The LC being so close in size to the RC is a bit of a head scratcher.

Can you fit people behind yourself in S class coupe? I know you are big guy.