That other Lexus site

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
CL is fine, just like LE. If you're trash talking then sooner or later you'll get booted.

CL is more about owners' experience or vehicles moddings instead of Lexus news.

Speak for yourself. As someone who used to post on CL a long, long time ago (in an era where Gecko and mikeavelli were very active on CL) CL is not fine, not at all. The individual model forums are not quite what they used to be. Their car chat or general chat sub forums however are absolute disasters; raging dumpster fires really. I've never in my life experienced such atrocious treatment on any forum as I did on CL. As a long-time contributor there long ago, I started to get ostracized and singled out by the mod/admin team. I almost got banned for saying good things about Toyota and Lexus...on a Lexus site. Like Gecko, I wish I was making this up but I'm not.

The mod/admin team there is not just biased, they have malicious intent against pretty much anyone that speaks positively of Toyota and Lexus. The mod/admin team there actively encourages rabid hate against Toyota and Lexus and has done so for many years. Mature, nuanced, civil discussion about Toyota/Lexus or the automotive industry in general is impossible there.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Speak for yourself. As someone who used to post on CL a long, long time ago (in an era where Gecko and mikeavelli were very active on CL) CL is not fine, not at all. The individual model forums are not quite what they used to be. Their car chat or general chat sub forums however are absolute disasters; raging dumpster fires really. I've never in my life experienced such atrocious treatment on any forum as I did on CL. As a long-time contributor there long ago, I started to get ostracized and singled out by the mod/admin team. I almost got banned for saying good things about Toyota and Lexus...on a Lexus site. Like Gecko, I wish I was making this up but I'm not.

The mod/admin team there is not just biased, they have malicious intent against pretty much anyone that speaks positively of Toyota and Lexus. The mod/admin team there actively encourages rabid hate against Toyota and Lexus and has done so for many years. Mature, nuanced, civil discussion about Toyota/Lexus or the automotive industry in general is impossible there.
Could they be paid to do so? It is secret, but car companies have used dirty tactics as intelligence agencies. The Italian reliability issues had origins in Germany, Bosh had its hands in their.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Could they be paid to do so? It is secret, but car companies have used dirty tactics as intelligence agencies. The Italian reliability issues had origins in Germany, Bosh had its hands in their.

At this point, I would say anything is possible with regards to CL. Way back when Mike, Gecko and people like myself still posted on CL, there was some strong circumstantial evidence that Hyundai and Kia had paid commenters/posters at CL at some points.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
When you have no term limits...and poor rules for mod selection, anything goes. I find it comical there are individuals trying so hard to be helpful so they can be selected on the mod team. LOL

Och

Admirer
Reactions
At this point, I would say anything is possible with regards to CL. Way back when Mike, Gecko and people like myself still posted on CL, there was some strong circumstantial evidence that Hyundai and Kia had paid commenters/posters at CL at some points.

Hyundai hired a bunch of trolls back then to shill for them on a lot of automotive forums.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hyundai hired a bunch of trolls back then to shill for them on a lot of automotive forums.

This is true. A couple were caught on VW forums and Acura forums.

They still exist. I’m on tons of FB groups and and I think it was the G70 group they were crapping on the IS and j was obviously stating how the IS paved the way for cars like the G70 etc... A FB account with no pictures or posts starts referencing my posts here. It was downright creepy. I actually warned the mod team here that Hyundai/Kia guys might be stalking us. I deleted my posts and got out that group immediately.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

I've been there at CL for many years.....longer than I have been at LE. The moderators there vary enormously (I won't mention names). Some of them are very friendly, appreciative of what I post, and treat me with a lot of respect, some are simply aloof or in the middle, while others seem to be members of a somewhat self-centered clique that is scornful of what I and some others post....a few of the mods deliberately shun my posts and don't usually reply to them. I get along well with Dave, the Administrator, but we aren't particularly close. On the good side, though, in almost 85,000 posts there, even with some posting-reprimands, and the fact that some mods clearly dislike me, I have never been asked to leave a thread, told to stop posting in it, or been banned/suspended.

That is not to say that I am never at fault. I'm no spring-chicken now (approaching age 70)....and my brain isn't quite as sharp or analytical as in the past. I sometimes DO make posting-errors, typos, or post inaccurate or outdated information. And, hey, if I do, I don't mind being called out or corrected for that. ;)

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
They still exist. I’m on tons of FB groups and and I think it was the G70 group they were crapping on the IS and j was obviously stating how the IS paved the way for cars like the G70 etc... A FB account with no pictures or posts starts referencing my posts here. It was downright creepy. I actually warned the mod team here that Hyundai/Kia guys might be stalking us. I deleted my posts and got out that group immediately.

I did an MM-Review of the G70 when it first debuted, totally on my own and unbiased (though I did have some forum-member request for an MM-review). I honestly thought it better than the IS in several areas, although the IS admittedly has a superb reliability record and is less-likely to be troublesome in actual ownership, particularly with the tendency of some Hyundai/Kia/Genesis engines to catch fire from electrical defects. And both of them were like sardine-cans in the back seat, which is basically for small children or as a package-shelf.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I've been there at CL for many years.....longer than I have been at LE. The moderators there vary enormously (I won't mention names). Some of them are very friendly, appreciative of what I post, and treat me with a lot of respect, some are simply aloof or in the middle, while others seem to be members of a somewhat self-centered clique that is scornful of what I and some others post....a few of the mods deliberately shun my posts and don't usually reply to them. I get along well with Dave, the Administrator, but we aren't particularly close. On the good side, though, in almost 85,000 posts there, even with some posting-reprimands, and the fact that some mods clearly dislike me, I have never been asked to leave a thread, told to stop posting in it, or been banned/suspended.

That is not to say that I am never at fault. I'm no spring-chicken now (approaching age 70)....and my brain isn't quite as sharp or analytical as in the past. I sometimes DO make posting-errors, typos, or post inaccurate or outdated information. And, hey, if I do, I don't mind being called out or corrected for that. ;)

Yes I know I remember you well, back when I posted on CL. I will say you were luckier than some there. Posters like Gecko, Mike and myself way back on CL ending up getting more hate and unwarranted consequences from a number of the mods and admin because we were more visibly pro-Toyota and pro-Lexus posters.