Spy Shots: Three-Row Lexus RX Prototype Spotted in California?

Izzam@RegencyAuto

Founding Member
Reactions
Roof seems too low for a third row?

eRX sounds like a Model X crusher. Line up people!
LWB RX would be a cool to make it like a LS or Range Rover Autobiography. Sit back and enjoy the massage.

Wishful thinking?

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Just encountered some new pictures on Dutch website autowereld.com with reference to '7 seater TX' (http://www.autowereld.com/nieuws/spyshots/id/23200/lexus-tx-met-de-t-van-twee-extra-stoelen)
But still no indication of any 7-seater config at all and it still has the 'fuel trap' in its PJ's on the passenger side as well ;) So I can't find any reason why this car should wear its camouflage.
The only small interesting part is that these pictures also show the base headlights with bulb turn indicators.

110405-lexus-tx-001.jpg

110408-lexus-tx-004.jpg

110409-lexus-tx-005.jpg

110410-lexus-tx-006.jpg

110412-lexus-tx-008.jpg

Reactions: Den

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I think it's wise to stop fueling the media speculation of a "3 row RX". Looking at this prototype, there is no real evidence to show this is a 3 row model. There is no visible exterior difference compared to a regular RX. Just because they're testing some RX models in camouflage, doesn't mean it's automatically a 3-row RX being tested, no matter how many times the media says so. These RX prototypes could be testing a number of things we just don't know about.

Chase C.

Fan
Reactions
It also doesn't look like they're using the original front blinker design, and a single yellow incandescent light bulb. I really really hope they do use the LED design.

rayaans

Fan
Reactions
The only way they can fit a third row in there is to move the 2nd row forward. There's tonnes of legroom in the 2nd row so moving that whole bench forward could create space for a third row. Even then, only kids will fit

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I think it's wise to stop fueling the media speculation of a "3 row RX". Looking at this prototype, there is no real evidence to show this is a 3 row model. There is no visible exterior difference compared to a regular RX. Just because they're testing some RX models in camouflage, doesn't mean it's automatically a 3-row RX being tested, no matter how many times the media says so. These RX prototypes could be testing a number of things we just don't know about.

Lexfather said:
Yeah, no idea what that is.

Count me in with you two. So many people are talking about a 3-row RX that they are seeing one behind every piece of body tape that the disguisers can stick on. Not only that, but, given the size/shape of the D-pillars, the position of the top hinges for the rear hatch-lid, the inward slope/rake of the rear window glass, the (assumed) claustrophobic conditions inside that space, and a couple of other factors, and my opinion is that there just isn't enough usable room behind the 2nd-row seat for an additional seat of any usefulness for American-spec conditions, even if the seat would not be intended for large adults.

(But, Hey........I've been wrong before). :oops:

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
It also doesn't look like they're using the original front blinker design, and a single yellow incandescent light bulb. I really really hope they do use the LED design.
Like I mentioned in my previous post: these are the base grade headlights of the new RX. Availability depends on the market.

Reactions
they are trust me this is only to what seems like a base RX350 covered up so people don't see it before it hits dealerships like others said, the NX has the same single LED light in the base models and the triple LED as an option, and the RX now is likely to have the same

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
If they can fit 3 row in the nissan rogue, I'm sure it can be done in the RX ( for emergency purposes) given the new one is longer than the current Rx.

S10

Reactions
Since the silhouette looks exactly the same as the "normal" RX, why would they cover up the outside if they're just adding a third row?

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I forgot to mention, but I really like the base headlights. I think they look really good.

If they can fit 3 row in the nissan rogue, I'm sure it can be done in the RX ( for emergency purposes) given the new one is longer than the current Rx.

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean Lexus will. Adding a 3rd row "for emergency purposes" would be a disastrous move in my opinion. That would be the opposite of luxury. A 3rd row, whether on the RX, or on an all-new model, needs to be comfortable and very well thought out to meet customer's expectations.

Since the silhouette looks exactly the same as the "normal" RX, why would they cover up the outside if they're just adding a third row?

Quite possibly because this is not a 3-row RX you're seeing, but either a regular RX doing final testing, or a modified RX testing something unknown. The simplest explanation would be that they don't want extra attention or for the model to be fully seen in public before it hits dealers. The more complicated possible explanation could be they are testing something unknown and don't want that seen in public.

Reactions

Lexfather said:
Yeah, no idea what that is.

Count me in with you two. So many people are talking about a 3-row RX that they are seeing one behind every piece of body tape that the disguisers can stick on. Not only that, but, given the size/shape of the D-pillars, the position of the top hinges for the rear hatch-lid, the inward slope/rake of the rear window glass, the (assumed) claustrophobic conditions inside that space, and a couple of other factors, and my opinion is that there just isn't enough usable room behind the 2nd-row seat for an additional seat of any usefulness for American-spec conditions, even if the seat would not be intended for large adults.

(But, Hey........I've been wrong before). :oops:
Maybe a 3rd row is to much for a rx

mikeavelli

Reactions
You know now that I think of it, maybe the weird C/D pillar on the RX is also done on purpose to separate a 3 row "TX" which would need a normal window.

Reactions: CIF