Small things Lexus can do to improve?

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
For me it would be stop offering the base infotainment, it’s not like “bigger is always better”, but that 7 inch display is inexplicable in a premium brand:

2021 RX:
Lexus-RX-packages-premium-hero-750x463-LEX-RXG-MY21-0036-03_M75.jpg

2021 UX:
6.jpg

2021 ES:
2021-Lexus-ES-350-Sedan-Base-4dr-Front-wheel-Drive-Sedan-Photo-7.png

2021 NX:
6.jpg

It’s possible to have a better one in a Dacia!
Even for a 7 inch unit is pretty bad... Lexus shouldn’t offer it in 2021... It’s a huge interior letdown for a premium car IMO.

The UX one looks like something out of the late 1990s, inexcusable even for an entry trim/model. Highway robbery for supposedly a “luxury” brand.

(I know MB/BMW are also guilty of such things)

mikeavelli

Reactions
For me it would be stop offering the base infotainment, it’s not like “bigger is always better”, but that 7 inch display is inexplicable in a premium brand:

2021 RX:
Lexus-RX-packages-premium-hero-750x463-LEX-RXG-MY21-0036-03_M75.jpg

2021 UX:
6.jpg

2021 ES:
2021-Lexus-ES-350-Sedan-Base-4dr-Front-wheel-Drive-Sedan-Photo-7.png

2021 NX:
6.jpg

It’s possible to have a better one in a Dacia!
Even for a 7 inch unit is pretty bad... Lexus shouldn’t offer it

next NX gonna really fix that :)
in 2021... It’s a huge interior letdown for a premium car IMO.

Nights

Fan
Reactions
I think the F sport spec in the US being gimped in terms of options must be a Lexus USA decision because in Australia, the F sport spec cars are fairly well loaded out.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
He's referring to the current Lexus wheels that are circular but flat on the bottom. I disagree there; the flat part gives additional clearance for the driver to get in and out of the car, and on the LS that's important.
but how do you grip the corners at the bottom though. Maybe offer flat for big people and round for people who can slide easily underneath the wheel? :)

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I would say stop being a cheapskate and an ultra-bean counter and offer some of the newer technologies from the second to the bottom model and up if there's a demand for it.

Also, many of the features on a particular Lexus model can only be had on the highest trim. I know it's cheaper to go for the top Lexus trim than it is to go for a top trim German luxury car + lots of ala carte options but many times, people don't want to pay for the top Lexus package and are only willing to pay for 40-60% of what's included. Lots left on the table there.

For a Porsche SUV, only the base Macan cannot be offered with PTV Plus. I believe most if not all Macan trims can have acoustic windows, 14 or 18-way seats, PASM, etc. This is the cheapest, entry-level model / ticket into the Porsche brand and one can have 80% of what is offered on a Taycan. Massage seats are not available but I expect the next Macan to offer it.

Not everyone wants to buy or can afford a LC or LS but can afford a suped up IS or ES.

People in the 21st century like personalization and that's where Lexus is clearly lacking.

Last edited:

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
I agree with @internalaudit. I'm on my first Lexus, an LS500 and I wish you didn't have to get the big daddy car to get the massage seat, for example. I'd prefer a car the size of the ES but I don't want to lose out on features.

I drove a UX250h as a loaner for an afternoon one time and was surprised it didn't even have Homelink. What's the point of it being a Lexus if it's poverty spec?

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
I agree with @internalaudit. I'm on my first Lexus, an LS500 and I wish you didn't have to get the big daddy car to get the massage seat, for example. I'd prefer a car the size of the ES but I don't want to lose out on features.

I drove a UX250h as a loaner for an afternoon one time and was surprised it didn't even have Homelink. What's the point of it being a Lexus if it's poverty spec?
In North America, buyers expect small cars to have "small" prices and large cars to have large prices; and we are generally not open to paying more for small cars. So to cut prices on smaller cars, automakers nitpick what features (both standard and optional) they make available on smaller cars.

I would be willing to trade some of the must-have (North American) luxury features to get others. I would be willing to give up leather (or pleather) seats for some nice fabric seat covering, for example. I can also do without a heated steering wheel (I think in almost 7 years with my ES 300h, I only turned it on once, just to try it out). I also do not need heated or ventilated seats (but considering that heated and ventilated seats is becoming a must-have feature even on mass-market compact cars such as the Corolla); with fabric seats, I don't see the need for heated and ventilated seats.

If I could give up these do-not-need features in exchange for better headlights (as an example) I would be willing to do so.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
These are luxury cars or entry-level ones we are talking about and according to some, are 50-70% leased so the more personalization offered, the fewer rejections to reject a particular brand. No one is asking for Porsche-type customization but Lexus customization pales in comparison to majority of German offerings.

Even the 2022 Golf R has basic massage functions now.

At around $50k or more, there probably should be more available options available that more discerning buyers are willing to pay for or they just go to other brands. The ones left are those who trust Lexus reliability but that's more for long-term ownership, that really only helps owners who don't switch cars too frequently or the resale values.

Not everyone thinks alike, which is why some customization is a good idea.

I would never buy a LS because I don't like driving large cars. At least offer in the next IS or ES a little more features or creature comforts now only available on the LS or even the RC. If no one opts for it, then don't build ones with those options. Make it made to order.

Might as well try to hook someone like me than lose me to other brands because of things readily available say on a different make but not on majority of Lexus vehicles.

Alshamsi

Fan
Reactions
There is a feature that I seriously miss every day for the last 2 years with my '19 ES, it's the adjustable speed limiter, most if not all German brands have it included.

It's very very useful, especially here in my country where every street is loaded with speed cameras, you can adjust your Limiter to the speed limit on the road you're currently driving on, I almost never used the cruise control on my golf previously, I just adjust the speed limiter and give the car full throttle and it will reach the given speed and stop at it, not exceeding it.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
What's the difference between that and adaptive cruise control? On my 16 RAV4H it can be set at 40 kmh and above. Newer Toyota's will have stop and go feature.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
What's the difference between that and adaptive cruise control? On my 16 RAV4H it can be set at 40 kmh and above. Newer Toyota's will have stop and go feature.
Here are descriptions of normal cruise control, adjustable speed limiter and adaptive cruise control.

Normal cruise control sets a minimum speed. The driver can accelerate past the set speed, but cannot decelerate below the set speed without cancelling or turning off the cruise control.

Adjustable speed limiter is the opposite of normal cruise control; it sets a maximum, do not exceed speed. The driver can decelerate below the set speed but cannot accelerate above the set speed without cancelling or turning off the speed limiter. The maximum speed may be set manually by the driver or automatically by the car reading road-side speed limit signs.

A factory-set speed limiter is already available on high-end vehicles, not allowing the high-powered vehicle to exceed some preset (high) limit.

Adaptive cruise control sets a minimum speed and the maximum speed is set by traffic conditions. Adaptive cruise control allows the driver to automatically follow the traffic directly ahead at a set distance and the latest ones allow start-and-stop ability without having to cancel or reset the cruise control function. With no traffic in front, the car will cruise along at the set minimum speed (as with normal cruise control).

Adjustable speed limiter and adaptive cruise control are necessary steps toward autonomous driving, with speed limits set automatically by reading road-side signs, fully digital maps in the navigation system or vehicle-to-infrastructure communications.

I have long thought that an adjustable speed limiter would be a nice feature to have. It would allow me, while driving on a wide-open highway, to set a maximum speed to save fuel, reduce wear on the engine and reduce the risk of being caught speeding.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
It's looking like ACC does cover most of the speed limiter's functionality but the speed limiter allows you to take control of the throttle and never go beyond the speed limit set.

Alshamsi

Fan
Reactions
Here are descriptions of normal cruise control, adjustable speed limiter and adaptive cruise control.

Normal cruise control sets a minimum speed. The driver can accelerate past the set speed, but cannot decelerate below the set speed without cancelling or turning off the cruise control.

Adjustable speed limiter is the opposite of normal cruise control; it sets a maximum, do not exceed speed. The driver can decelerate below the set speed but cannot accelerate above the set speed without cancelling or turning off the speed limiter. The maximum speed may be set manually by the driver or automatically by the car reading road-side speed limit signs.

A factory-set speed limiter is already available on high-end vehicles, not allowing the high-powered vehicle to exceed some preset (high) limit.

Adaptive cruise control sets a minimum speed and the maximum speed is set by traffic conditions. Adaptive cruise control allows the driver to automatically follow the traffic directly ahead at a set distance and the latest ones allow start-and-stop ability without having to cancel or reset the cruise control function. With no traffic in front, the car will cruise along at the set minimum speed (as with normal cruise control).

Adjustable speed limiter and adaptive cruise control are necessary steps toward autonomous driving, with speed limits set automatically by reading road-side signs, fully digital maps in the navigation system or vehicle-to-infrastructure communications.

I have long thought that an adjustable speed limiter would be a nice feature to have. It would allow me, while driving on a wide-open highway, to set a maximum speed to save fuel, reduce wear on the engine and reduce the risk of being caught speeding.
Well explained..!

It gives an ease of mine of not exceeding the speed limit while on highways maneuvering or overtaking, and safety in city streets.

Alshamsi

Fan
Reactions
It's looking like ACC does cover most of the speed limiter's functionality but the speed limiter allows you to take control of the throttle and never go beyond the speed limit set.
Sadly I never use the ACC, only in a really long highways, as it leaves very large spaces between cars and decelerate aggressively sometimes , also it deactivates whenever you hit the brakes.

On the other hand, the Adaptive Speed Limiter can be useful anywhere, for example slow city streets where you don't want to exceed a certain speed.

I tried many times explaining this feature to people hoe useful it is, but no one will understand until they try it themselves and see how it makes your life easier when driving, it's a nice little thing to be included along ACC and standard cruise control.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Sadly I never use the ACC, only in a really long highways, as it leaves very large spaces between cars and decelerate aggressively sometimes , also it deactivates whenever you hit the brakes.

On the other hand, the Adaptive Speed Limiter can be useful anywhere, for example slow city streets where you don't want to exceed a certain speed.

I tried many times explaining this feature to people hoe useful it is, but no one will understand until they try it themselves and see how it makes your life easier when driving, it's a nice little thing to be included along ACC and standard cruise control.
Now I understand. It does make perfect sense especially avoiding getting a ticket from photoradar enforcement but what if you had to speed up to avoid an accident or need to get out of temporary pickle? Do you have the presence of mind all the time to deactivate the limiter?

Kennyth

Fan
Reactions
LED signal as standard. Still can’t believe in 2021 models Lexus isn’t putting them standard on all Lexus models.
only LS, LC, LX are.
RC rear not available, front Standard
IS rear not available, front with upgrade triple beam
ES rear acting led, front with upgrade triple beam
Ux rear acting led, front with upgrade triple beam
RX not available only with upgrade triple beam
GX not available.
NX rear standard, front with premium package. NX is the only Lexus model you can get front led signal with package and only model with led signal without triple beam.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
LED signal as standard. Still can’t believe in 2021 models Lexus isn’t putting them standard on all Lexus models.
only LS, LC, LX are.
RC rear not available, front Standard
IS rear not available, front with upgrade triple beam
ES rear acting led, front with upgrade triple beam
Ux rear acting led, front with upgrade triple beam
RX not available only with upgrade triple beam
GX not available.
NX rear standard, front with premium package. NX is the only Lexus model you can get front led signal with package and only model with led signal without triple beam.
That's easy
It's a matter of time honestly
*Both RC & IS are ancient with old chassis and engine and everything
*GX , RX & NX will definitely getting it with their respective new iteration!
*ES will always be related to both Camry and Avalon cause sedan is not profitable as before so the only way to see it as fully led is by making both yotas fully led also
*UX is honestly matching with all its own current category in Europe so it will be add by time

Alshamsi

Fan
Reactions
Now I understand. It does make perfect sense especially avoiding getting a ticket from photoradar enforcement but what if you had to speed up to avoid an accident or need to get out of temporary pickle? Do you have the presence of mind all the time to deactivate the limiter?
Simply press cancel on the steering wheel, or press the pedal fully until you get that "click" at the end, then it overrides whatever you gave it.
By the way yesterday I got a ticket for the exact same reason I was talking about.. went over the limit by 3 km/h because I was changing lanes.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Sorry to hear about the ticket. Wow. Ticket for driving 3 km/h over. Our cars speedometers are usually overstated by 2-4% depending on the set of wheels ( all seasons or winter). Good thing it's not the other way around haha.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
  • Fresh design leadership. This is not really a small change, but the designer of the IS exterior should take over all of Lexus design.

The designer of the current 2021 IS exterior is a great guy. I got a chance to meet him at the LA Auto Show many years ago during the debut of the Lexus LF-CC concept debut. His official title:

Lexus International Chief Designer Kenichi Hirai​