Small things Lexus can do to improve?

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
Overall, the brand seems to be doing well despite an aging lineup and lack of EV with sales at all time highs globally, including the US. But what do you think are some small things Lexus can do that are small wins or can even have a big effect?

Here are some of my suggestions:
  • Consolidate social media presence with a global account, particularly on Instagram where each market has their own (@lexususa, @lexusuk, @lexusqatar) vs. MB/BMW which still has their markets specific ones like @bmwusa but their main account @bmw has the most followers. Actually just searched Lexus on IG and just found out about @discoverlexus, which is apparently the official global account. For one, why couldn’t they secure @Lexus? Two, it has a paltry 69k followers versus @lexususa 3.8m followers. Their following pales in comparison to @mercedesbenz (31.8m) and @bmw (30.3m)
  • New steering wheel design. If you can’t afford to redesign interiors, at least modernize your steering wheels and move away from the flat pancake, circular steering wheels. They are the only ones in the luxury space that’s keeping these 90s style flat circles.
  • Shorter front overhangs. (This was mentioned as something Lexus have heard and are taking into consideration.)
  • Ditch the all red interior for F models. We’re not in the late 2000s anymore.
  • Bring back the classic LFA “star” wheels for the LC
  • For the next-generation LS and LX (and any “L_” flagship), add an all-saddle tan color and suede just like in the LC
  • Remove piano black from interior material palette
  • Fresh design leadership. This is not really a small change, but the designer of the IS exterior should take over all of Lexus design.

Reactions
Overall, the brand seems to be doing well despite an aging lineup and lack of EV with sales at all time highs globally, including the US. But what do you think are some small things Lexus can do that are small wins or can even have a big effect?

• Consolidate social media presence with a global account, particularly on Instagram where each market has their own (@lexususa, @lexusuk, @lexusqatar) vs. MB/BMW which still has their markets specific ones like @bmwusa but their main account @bmw has the most followers. Actually just searched Lexus on IG and just found out about @discoverlexus, which is apparently the official global account. For one, why couldn’t they secure @Lexus? Two, it has a paltry 69k followers versus @lexususa 3.8m followers. Their following pales in comparison to @mercedesbenz (31.8m) and @bmw (30.3m)
  • New steering wheel design. If you can’t afford to redesign interiors, at least modernize your steering wheels and move away from the flat pancake, circular steering wheels. They are the only ones in the luxury space that’s keeping these 90s style flat circles.
  • Shorter front overhangs. (This was mentioned as something Lexus have heard and are taking into consideration.)
  • For the next-generation LS and LX (and any “L_” flagship), add an all-saddle tan color and suede just like in the LC
  • Fresh design leadership. This is not really a small change, but the designer of the IS exterior should take over all of Lexus design.

These are pretty fair suggestions. I also can attest that Lexus has a relatively weak social media following. And I think a huge reason why Lexus is weak online is I think a lack of motorsport activity. Lexus only really did SuperGT (and prototypes more than a decade ago) and is now only involved in GT3 racing now that the GR Supra took over as TMC's entry in the GT500 class.

I said this more than 3 years ago when I joined LE and made my first post in the Lexus Racing Megathread, Lexus needs to be on a flagship motorsports series to really shake fear into their competitors. F1 is that perfect series for them to join. It's becoming more cost-efficient in the next few years and the main reason why Toyota hadn't returned in these past several years was really because of development costs. The next aspect is that the formula is exactly the technology that Toyota and Lexus have achieved perfection in for decades.

They need to have an upstart team exactly how Mercedes joined in 2010 and to a lesser degree, Aston-Martin this year and bring a whole new breath of fresh air to the grid. They can have a junior team to increase the grid size too. Lexus has the money, the technological prowess, and now with the new wave of people who are leading Lexus, the balls to fight against their competitors instead of pushing pencils and doing nothing notable. I was one of those super fans who was probably the loudest voice out there on the internet in wanting Toyota (or a new Lexus entry) to return to F1 for many years. In the past couple of months however, it genuinely seems like the idea of Toyota returning to F1 has been gaining serious traction among F1 fans. Many of them are adamant to see TMC come back again and really kick some serious ass.

It is a fact that all automotive legends were made via participation in motorsports. I can list twenty cars right off my head that are legends because of their relationship with motorsports. If Lexus wants to take that next step into becoming a legend (and a manufacturer that's not just a really good Japanese luxury brand), even into in a world where everything is mostly hybrid, they need to make a move like this to cement their legacy for many decades in the future.

Last edited:

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
These are pretty fair suggestions. I also can attest that Lexus has a relatively weak social media following. And I think a huge reason why Lexus is weak online is I think a lack of motorsport activity. Lexus only really did SuperGT (and prototypes more than a decade ago) and is now only involved in GT3 racing now that the GR Supra took over as TMC's entry in the GT500 class.

I said this more than 3 years ago when I joined LE and made my first post in the Lexus Racing Megathread, Lexus needs to be on a flagship motorsports series to really shake fear into competitors. F1 is that perfect series for them to join. It's becoming more cost-efficient in the next few years and the main reason why Toyota hadn't returned in these past several years was really because of development costs. The next aspect is the the formula is exactly the technology that Toyota and Lexus have achieved perfection in for decades.

They need to have an upstart team exactly how Mercedes joined in 2010 and to a lesser degree, Aston-Martin this year and bring a whole new breath of fresh air to the grid. They can have a junior team to increase the grid size too. Lexus has the money, the technological prowess, and now with the new wave of people who are leading Lexus, the balls to fight against their competitors instead of pushing pencils and doing nothing notable. I was one of those super fans who was probably the loudest voice out there on the internet in wanting Toyota (or a new Lexus entry) to return to F1 for many years. In the past couple of months however, it genuinely seems like the idea of Toyota returning to F1 has been gaining serious traction among F1 fans. Many of them are adamant to see TMC come back again and really kick some serious ass.

It is a fact that all automotive legends were made via participation in motorsports. I can list twenty cars right off my head that are legends because of their relationship with motorsports. If Lexus wants to take that next step into becoming a legend (and a manufacturer that's not just a really good Japanese luxury brand), even into in a world where everything is mostly hybrid, they need to make a move like this to cement their legacy for many decades in the future.

I somewhat agree with you. But bringing the technology from the motorsport to the road cars is really what would help increase their following. And yes we are not talking about gauge cluster, but some detuned version of their race cars. I say that because there are a lot of car enthusiast that rarely follow/watch motorsports. It's what's on the street that people will talk about. I really hope the GT car they are talking about is the next RC/IS F car

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Right off the bat its 360 camera. Current one in LS is not up to par with BMW or MB. Concept is the same but execution is subpar from field of view, resolution, interactivity and general presentation. It's really bad for the segment.

Reactions: RAL

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions

Honestly they're fair and I agree on all of them but I want to add another point

Lexus still not having the same brand recognition as the German, and that was the same problem of Audi until VAG put Lamborghini and Seat under Audi

For my view Toyota need to do that same move either in short term or long term with the British 4 be in the sight

J/LR , Aston or Mclaren under Lexus, will do magic to it's recognition in Europe western market

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
What is wrong with the steering wheel? The circular steering wheel is still the best for controlling a road-going vehicle.

This is definitely not simply a design language issue; it is a structural issue. Shortening the front overhang (not entirely possible for FWD-based vehicles) means a structural re-engineering of the vehicle that will only come with a major model change.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
What is wrong with the steering wheel? The circular steering wheel is still the best for controlling a road-going vehicle.

He's referring to the current Lexus wheels that are circular but flat on the bottom. I disagree there; the flat part gives additional clearance for the driver to get in and out of the car, and on the LS that's important.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
He's referring to the current Lexus wheels that are circular but flat on the bottom. I disagree there; the flat part gives additional clearance for the driver to get in and out of the car, and on the LS that's important.
I was not aware that any Lexus models had a flat-bottomed steering wheel.

I have not driven any cars with a flat-bottomed steering wheel but I don't think they would cause a problem with me. I do not like yoke-like steering wheels (like that proposed by Tesla) though.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I was not aware that any Lexus models had a flat-bottomed steering wheel.

I have not driven any cars with a flat-bottomed steering wheel but I don't think they would cause a problem with me. I do not like yoke-like steering wheels (like that proposed by Tesla) though.
Yoke appeared also in LF-Z interior
That is the most down part in all LF-Z

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
My only Lexus experience has been for one year with my LS500 but here goes:

- touchscreen all models
- redesign UI to have a home button on the screen and operate more like a phone UI (app icons)
- wireless CarPlay
- don't copy Tesla with one big screen, that's not luxury
- improve off-the-line grunt (biggest complaint of my LS)
- offer PHEV on all models, I'd buy one in a heartbeat
- make the app amazing (I don't have any app access on mine)

I like the Lexus designs, some vehicle interiors need updating (IS for example) LS/ES interior is amazing. I like the luxury of the steering wheel in my LS with the wood & leather. I also don't mind red leather inside the car (not mine obviously).

I traded a Tesla Model S in for this. Because quality and luxury don't exist with Tesla and I got tired of it. All they care about is hype.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Two things that bug me
1. Front camera and around view cameras on all the cars. Why my LC doesn’t have it is perplexing.
2. More seat adjustments. My 100k LC has like 10 way seats. I need more. The ES, IS etc don’t adjust like Germans.

Reactions: RAL

RAL

Reactions
My gripe: Lexus cutting corners just to leave something for the refresh.

Example: Current ES features all LED lighting EXCEPT front & rear turn signals. Even with upgraded projector headlight package, the rear signals remain ambient. What an obvious cheap contrast rear turn signals are next to the LC-like infinity-look LED tail lamps. This is inexcusable ... especially considering many Toyota models are exclusively LED. Same was true between NX and NX refresh. Lexus should not be cutting such obvious corners regardless of subtle marketing come-up motives.

Another cost-cutting corner: Current ES center console dual-side-open center armrest ... is made of a cheap plastic mechanism ... that produces an offensive squeaky sound and an unstable feel when you lean on the armrest. I've had three of the current generation ES and all have/had this flaw. If an LS-like feature cannot be executed with cost effective quality, stick with what works properly.

Soon we will see how the ES refresh fares ... and what corners are cut on the new NX. Lexus should be Lexus quality regardless of the model.

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
Oh my 3rd and it’s a big one
3. Why does getting F SPORT mean I have to get a peasant spec? If I like the F SPORT and I want the luxury options too. They are not mutually exclusive.
Couldn't have said it better, in the RX for example, it is not possible to get an F Sport model with heated rear seats or the mesh shades for the window. In the LS, the F Sport model can't be had with the crazy rear-middle center console with all the advanced controls. Imagine if They were to do this on future F products, that would not be cool.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
This is definitely a strange decision made by Lexus USA. ChDM F-sports are the opposite: they are always bundled with the Luxury Package and thus only one level below fully loaded so they are very expensive.

RAL

Reactions
I agree you shouldn't have to sacrifice luxury options with F Sport. I suppose the bean counters like F Sport with limited options, that yields a high profit margin and expansive customer base with only sportier aesthetics and suspension tweaks on most models ...

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
For me it would be stop offering the base infotainment, it’s not like “bigger is always better”, but that 7 inch display is inexplicable in a premium brand:

2021 RX:
Lexus-RX-packages-premium-hero-750x463-LEX-RXG-MY21-0036-03_M75.jpg

2021 UX:
6.jpg

2021 ES:
2021-Lexus-ES-350-Sedan-Base-4dr-Front-wheel-Drive-Sedan-Photo-7.png

2021 NX:
6.jpg

It’s possible to have a better one in a Dacia!
Even for a 7 inch unit is pretty bad... Lexus shouldn’t offer it in 2021... It’s a huge interior letdown for a premium car IMO.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Couldn't have said it better, in the RX for example, it is not possible to get an F Sport model with heated rear seats or the mesh shades for the window. In the LS, the F Sport model can't be had with the crazy rear-middle center console with all the advanced controls. Imagine if They were to do this on future F products, that would not be cool.
I think it's a problem for all TMC
The current Highlander is a great example
You can have the 12.3 inch touch screen in every variant except the XSE in compare to Limited, Platinum and even XLE which have it permanent, even the LE can be have with the big screen as an option!